Firestorm Search Window- NOT Resizable

PixiePops16

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So my window at some point was made large enough to go below the toolbar buttons. And the only option for resizing is on that hidden bottom right corner :(  as you can see in the attached pic it means I see NOWHERES teleport option and have been entering coordinates for days. Someone pleaseeee help me ❤️ Fhttps://www.flickr.com/gp/190599212@N05/c8mtqY

3 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Move it down and grab a corner?  You can move it around if your grab it at the top.near search.

Its enlarged to its max height wise , and the window can’t be pulled above the top tool bar to reveal the resizing corner :( I can move the tab all around but not high or small enough to see that needed edge 

Adding to @RowanMinx, when you hold the mouse at edges of the search window, you will see a resize option.

• So grab the search window at top
  • then resize to be smaller
  • then move search window up - repeat until you can see the dotted triangle bottom right of the search window
  • now you can size and position the search windows as you wish

What screen resolution do you have, looks like 1024x780 - if your computer graphic supports higher resolution, try it - full HD 1920x1080 for example gives your much screen space.

41 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

Adding to @RowanMinx, when you hold the mouse at edges of the search window, you will see a resize option.

• then move search window up - repeat until you can see the dotted triangle bottom right of the search window

What screen resolution do you have, looks like 1024x780 - if your computer graphic supports higher resolution, try it - full HD 1920x1080 for example gives your much screen space.

It doesn’t resize at all Though I see the double sided arrow and move them 

Your monitor resolution is very small and the search window has a default minimum of 590 pixels.
You either need to change your monitor resolution to a higher one or modify a file to allow the firestorm search window to become even smaller.

Choose whatever works better for you.

-------------

In case you eventually decide to change the code part follow my instructions step by step.

Locate your Firestorm install directory.

Open file "/skins/default/xui/en/floater_fs_search.xml"

Locate the following original code: (this is an easy one cause its the first thing you will see)

<floater
	can_resize="true"
	default_tab_group="1"
	height="590"
	help_topic="fs_search"
	layout="topleft"
	legacy_header_height="0"
	min_height="590" 
	min_width="660"
	name="floater_fs_search"
	positioning="centered"
	save_rect="true"
	single_instance="true"
	title="Search"
	width="780">

Modify to this:

<floater
	can_resize="true"
	default_tab_group="1"
	height="590"
	help_topic="fs_search"
	layout="topleft"
	legacy_header_height="0"
	min_height="450"
	min_width="660"
	name="floater_fs_search"
	positioning="centered"
	save_rect="true"
	single_instance="true"
	title="Search"
	width="780">

Save and close your text editor.

Now log in and try resizing it.

------------

(Do not change anything else except from the code exactly as shown above, i am not going to offer tech support.)

Screenshot_2020-10-14_08-55-22.png.a02e13c9e545c1632e42f26306761898.png

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 6:03 AM, Rachel1206 said:

That doesn't solce that ridiculously oversized search phrase field though:

Whoever at Linden Lab got the idea that it needed 86 characters??? I mean, ususally the LL developers (yes, this is their fault, FS just uses the code from the official viewer here). Usually they make text entry fields far too small but this time they went way over the top in the other direction. 1000+ pixels wide window if you want to access the search buttton without having to scroll. It's just horrendously poor web design.

bilde.thumb.png.9e1604375aa7afd0ad6c6d611c6d7043.png

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That doesn't solce that ridiculously oversized search phrase field though:

Whoever at Linden Lab got the idea that it needed 86 characters??? I mean, ususally the LL developers (yes, this is their fault, FS just uses the code from the official viewer here). Usually they make text entry fields far too small but this time they went way over the top in the other direction. 1000+ pixels wide window if you want to access the search buttton without having to scroll. It's just horrendously poor web design.

bilde.thumb.png.9e1604375aa7afd0ad6c6d611c6d7043.png

Nods, well there actually two factor behind this - one as pointed out by @Nick0678 , the layout design of the search window and second the HTML design, when using WEB search. The later would be easy to fix with defined CSS style or simple usage of HTML tags defining the the layout of the elements.

I personally use Firestorm's search tab fields People, Groups, Places and Events, when doing search from within the viewer.

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Solution for ChinRey: Don't use the websearch. Not from within the Viewer at any rate.

Tell the people who use the official viewer. Considering that search is a rather important function and web search is the only option in that viewer, what you're actually saying is that the viewer LL supplies to all newcomers is a piece of crap. well, I can't fault you there of course but in my experience web search do tend to give more relevant results than the old style search functions. The old 1990s style search functions really could do with an update but it has to be done properly and a web based solution is probably the best way. Butto do that somebody at LL needs to learn the basics of web design and web programming.

6 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Tell the people who use the official viewer. Considering that search is a rather important function and web search is the only option in that viewer, what you're actually saying is that the viewer LL supplies to all newcomers is a piece of crap. well, I can't fault you there of course but in my experience web search do tend to give more relevant results than the old style search functions. The old 1990s style search functions really could do with an update but it has to be done properly and a web based solution is probably the best way. Butto do that somebody at LL needs to learn the basics of web design and web programming.

Or abandon having the Viewer use a CEF internal browser instance as the search interface.

Quite frankly my advice to anyone trying to use the web interfaces for anything on Linden Lab's servers is don't. If you're not using a TPV that offers the "classic" interface elements, use an external browser.

ETA: The above advice is repeated if their response is any variation of "I don't want to" or "I shouldn't have to" - usually phrased far less politely.

As far as I am concerned the shift to the web search within the official viewer was a mistake.

Edited by Solar Legion

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 1:00 AM, Nick0678 said:
Your monitor resolution is very small and the search window has a default minimum of 590 pixels.
You either need to change your monitor resolution to a higher one or modify a file to allow the firestorm search window to become even smaller.

Choose whatever works better for you.

-------------

In case you eventually decide to change the code part follow my instructions step by step.

Locate your Firestorm install directory.

Open file "/skins/default/xui/en/floater_fs_search.xml"

Locate the following original code: (this is an easy one cause its the first thing you will see)

<floater
	can_resize="true"
	default_tab_group="1"
	height="590"
	help_topic="fs_search"
	layout="topleft"
	legacy_header_height="0"
	min_height="590" 
	min_width="660"
	name="floater_fs_search"
	positioning="centered"
	save_rect="true"
	single_instance="true"
	title="Search"
	width="780">

Modify to this:

<floater
	can_resize="true"
	default_tab_group="1"
	height="590"
	help_topic="fs_search"
	layout="topleft"
	legacy_header_height="0"
	min_height="450"
	min_width="660"
	name="floater_fs_search"
	positioning="centered"
	save_rect="true"
	single_instance="true"
	title="Search"
	width="780">

Save and close your text editor.

Now log in and try resizing it.

------------

(Do not change anything else except from the code exactly as shown above, i am not going to offer tech support.)

Screenshot_2020-10-14_08-55-22.png.a02e13c9e545c1632e42f26306761898.png

I’ve gotten all the way up to the coding page. I simply don’t know how to modify it ? trying to click on it in any way simply makes it become less text or return to the longer coding.

15 minutes ago, PixiePops16 said:

I’ve gotten all the way up to the coding page. I simply don’t know how to modify it ? trying to click on it in any way simply makes it become less text or return to the longer coding.

Did you try changing your screen resolution as suggested to.something larger?

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Screen-Resolution-on-a-PC#:~:text=Click and drag the "Resolution" slider left or,while lowering the resolution will make things larger.

15 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Yes it’s set to is largest resolution already (1366x768). So makes no sense to try and resolutions when they only go tinier;  I reallly want to be able to just modify the text like you said I got so far lmaoooo. Why is is that it tells me I can’t modify it since you seem to be able to??

3 hours ago, PixiePops16 said:

Yes it’s set to is largest resolution already (1366x768). So makes no sense to try and resolutions when they only go tinier;  I reallly want to be able to just modify the text like you said I got so far lmaoooo. Why is is that it tells me I can’t modify it since you seem to be able to??

Download Notepad++ , install it and use that to open the file and modify it as shown in the animated photo bellow.

OcXxkeC.gif

On 10/13/2020 at 11:39 PM, PixiePops16 said:

So my window at some point was made large enough to go below the toolbar buttons. And the only option for resizing is on that hidden bottom right corner :(  as you can see in the attached pic it means I see NOWHERES teleport option and have been entering coordinates for days. Someone pleaseeee help me ❤️ Fhttps://www.flickr.com/gp/190599212@N05/c8mtqY

Lower your UI Scaling to something like 0.95. 

Preferences - User Interface - 2D Overlay - first option UI Scaling. 

0.95 should be enough to allow you to resize the window, then reset the UI Scaling again. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.