Starter RP?

CopenhagenBlack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i am new to secondlife and roleplaying in general but i like the idea of making characters and stuff like that, the question is how do i get into roleplaying, is there places for people just starting in it? Any skills required? And stuff like that, any answers would be appreciated since this is something i would like to get into.

Most roleplay sims will tell you the usual things about godmodding, metagaming and whatever.  Really, to me, roleplay is just like a literary muscle. The more you work at it, the better you'll become. Try to make characters that are reasonable, for example take urban/modern sims. You'll run across characters that are mob bosses, mob enforcers, mob hitmen, but you never see bagmen or counterfeiters. You can't have three encounters with PCs until you run into Ye-Generic-Rich-Dude-In-A-Suit, but I've only seen one person that was homeless. Make a character that's interesting, sure but don't go overboard. I find a loose background of your character allows you to fill in details as they come to you, maybe keep a notecard of facts you've given to people or things that have developed as your character is played.

I guess really to sum up a lot, just make a realistic character, develop as you RP and don't be a dick. :)

24 minutes ago, Harley Ravenhurst said:

Most roleplay sims will tell you the usual things about godmodding, metagaming and whatever.  Really, to me, roleplay is just like a literary muscle. The more you work at it, the better you'll become. Try to make characters that are reasonable, for example take urban/modern sims. You'll run across characters that are mob bosses, mob enforcers, mob hitmen, but you never see bagmen or counterfeiters. You can't have three encounters with PCs until you run into Ye-Generic-Rich-Dude-In-A-Suit, but I've only seen one person that was homeless. Make a character that's interesting, sure but don't go overboard. I find a loose background of your character allows you to fill in details as they come to you, maybe keep a notecard of facts you've given to people or things that have developed as your character is played.

I guess really to sum up a lot, just make a realistic character, develop as you RP and don't be a dick. :)

I see, i didnt understand most of this lol

While it may or may not be the setting or style you prefer, The Amazon (a set of regions in SL, not the international company!) does have a good tutorial introduction to roleplay techniques as well as regular 'classroom' sessions where experienced roleplayers will offer help about different aspects of good roleplay.

Those techniques should apply universally whether you ultimately decide to continue in Amazon or try out any number of other locations available. Checking out profiles of good roleplayers may help you with developing a character since most of them will include information in the "Picks" section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, KjartanEno said:

While it may or may not be the setting or style you prefer, The Amazon (a set of regions in SL, not the international company!) does have a good tutorial introduction to roleplay techniques as well as regular 'classroom' sessions where experienced roleplayers will offer help about different aspects of good roleplay.

Those techniques should apply universally whether you ultimately decide to continue in Amazon or try out any number of other locations available. Checking out profiles of good roleplayers may help you with developing a character since most of them will include information in the "Picks" section.

Thanks im going to check this out i really need a good tutorial, thanks for this answer

On 10/13/2020 at 9:35 PM, KjartanEno said:

Ooh, I haven't heard about that but I'll check that out, too! I'm also trying to wedge my way into the rp community on here.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:33 PM, CopenhagenBlack said:

I see, i didnt understand most of this lol

I think what they were trying to say, is that most people like to write over-the-top / above average characters. Everyone wants to be the hero or the villain, but not many people play the average citizen. But, that's just mostly the issue of Mary Sue and Gary Stu. There's tons of online resources to help guide you towards writing a well-rounded character, as that's more of a general writing skill and not specific to roleplay. :3

As for the basic rules of rp, as they mentioned, it's usually:

- no godmodding (when someone's character has the ability to do practically anything without limits or boundaries.)
- no metagaming (this is when you use information that YOU know as a writer, to influence what your character knows. like if you've read someone else's profile, you might know more about their character, but your character doesn't know it, too, unless they find out within the story or through roleplay interaction.)
- no auto (basically you including another character's actions within your rp post, remember to only write what your character does/thinks/says, and leave it open for others to write how their characters react. don't write someone's reactions for them.)

Those are like the 3 mortal sins of roleplay in any kind of community, lmao. Aside from that, it really comes down to learning the culture and norms of the specific community you're getting into. I've never rp'd in SL yet, so I'm not sure about what's accepted / not accepted, what's overused, what's frowned upon, etc etc.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.