In world arts organizations/events for developing artists

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the past, there used to be groups and individuals who would come together periodically, have an art prompt, set up a live model, and/or a still life scene in-world, and then provide a timed period for artists working physical or digital media to come to observe it and to sit together while they sketch, ink, or paint the scene. It was just a wonderful social opportunity to be creative together and to celebrate the process. It was one of the most delightful things I ever participated in on Second Life and it was the main reason I was on Second Life at all 2013-2015. Art is such a powerful therapy; something about its meditative qualities and persistence of vision nurture such wholesome things in the garden of mind.

Regrettably, the venue shifted further and further away from the free-spirited promotion of creativity and artistic community of any kind, and the individual who was organizing the event abandoned the effort some time after 2015, tragically, as near as I can discern. And that's a true loss, they could have been a force for something very positive. What a missed opportunity right when the world needed it more than ever.

Does anyone know of any shared practicing all-inclusive scene, one for social developing artists that is active and ardent to promote in practical direct ways such as these the artistic development and enrichment of communities and interested individuals from our virtual society? How can this not already be a thing? It seems incredible, but if not, as a follow-up question, is this something that you would intend to participate in regularly if it popped up at a convenient time each week and was fun?

4f28ffc904d9b2965b72f84c9f63598d.jpg

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 1

Define "art." And "social," I guess.

I am by no stretch of anyone's reckoning an "artist," but I have done collaborative photographs many times. That's actually become a pretty common thing here.

Have you considered contacting those putting together then new SL Endowment for the Arts? This is the kind of thing that might interest them, particularly if it combines visual art with performance. Which it sort of sounds like it does?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Define "art." And "social," I guess.

I am by no stretch of anyone's reckoning an "artist," but I have done collaborative photographs many times. That's actually become a pretty common thing here.

Have you considered contacting those putting together then new SL Endowment for the Arts? This is the kind of thing that might interest them, particularly if it combines visual art with performance. Which it sort of sounds like it does?

As far as I know, LEA is an ivory tower intended only to provide a boost to beautiful already successful artists who are flying high on amazing trajectories in their self-actualized creative lives. LEA exists to provide them and this community a platform so that they can Go Further, but it takes a village to raise an artist to a point where they could even consider approaching LEA looking for opportunities. It's not intended for budding or continuing adult artists seeking casual cocreative opportunities to develop and explore what they're capable of. It's not a space and time intended for people struggling to better draw a symmetric circle with a graphics tablet.

Social as I intend it here means people who come out specifically for the purpose of doing things and sharing in experiences together, and then seeing it through the lens of each other. It's such a powerful cross-pollination. You can ask questions or even just provide one another with support and encouragement, or suggestions. Art is a lot harder to define, here I'm thinking specifically of drawing/painting work on models and still lives, deeply traditional basic meat and potatoes visual arts, you know, the essential classical foundations for all the other visual arts that developed over millennia.

It's interesting to come at it now; it seems as though somehow the language of art is flowing through this mind much more easily than we ever remember before. Something has shifted, and that's no surprise. The entire game of art feels a bit more spiritually visceral this time. Somehow now we just sort of see what we need to do, we feel it more deeply than before as we gaze at the canvas, and it's mostly a matter of finding ways to put in the time until something new has been cultivated within using all this intuitive direction, but some community and guidance would go a long way.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

As far as I know, LEA is an ivory tower intended only to provide a boost to beautiful already successful artists who are flying high on amazing trajectories in their self-actualized creative lives. LEA exists to provide them and this community a platform so that they can Go Further, but it takes a village to raise an artist to a point where they could even consider approaching LEA looking for opportunities. It's not intended for budding or continuing adult artists seeking casual cocreative opportunities to develop and explore what they're capable of. It's not a space and time intended for people struggling to better draw a symmetric circle with a graphics tablet.

Perhaps. And I agree that I find the idea of a bottom-up organizing of these kinds of things appealing: it's always better when it's driven from within the community.

That said, the "new SLEA" is, supposedly, going to be different from the "old LEA," and will be, it's been implied, a bit less elitist than the old version certainly seems to have become. It seems to me that, to get this rolling, you need two things: a place to do it, and a platform or mechanism for communicating with as many SL artists as possible. SLEA might be able to provide both?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tholan Nohkan said:

How about a second life version of "Work of Art: The Next Great Artist"? I really miss that show. (I rewatched both seasons two weeks ago on the youtube).

Looks interesting, I already like the idea of a show that opens up artistic process as a piece of entertainment because familiarity makes artistic process feel more accessible to more people while also promoting an arts culture. Syfy's Face Off was brilliant and delightful, for example.

In Second Life the emphasis might change from the show.  Some starting artists may be apprehensive about competitions or performances or judgements as they build up their confidence and experience. Positive guidance and recognition of good work shared with the group could be appreciated. As more people become involved in it, I would think you could quickly wind up with people who are bringing very different experience levels in with them, and so the non-competetive format maximizes the ability for artists at different levels to participate in the same event together as a class where everyone with the right intent wins. (Experienced artists already know successful works will be admired by other artists and they groove on that as its own reward.)

The time-constraint helps to emphasize the art process and also helps participants learn to better manage every stage of their own process in relation to a work and the time given. Then maybe they are forced to grow in new ways when run up against limits of what they can accomplish with a given approach in thirty or sixty minutes. There was enough consistency in the format that hosts could focus on the theme or scene required for each new event day, and participants could compare and contrast their own performance from event to event. Because it isn't a competition or a graded class, participants can feel more at liberty to take risks and try new things. There can also be enough variation to keep it interesting for everyone, with a few surprises along the way too. There are many elements here that you would find in a studio art class, but just it's loose enough (and with only time invested) that it can be fun or a serious challenge as preferred by each participant. It's hoped that for many casual or questioning artists, the format would make it so that they are more likely to show up and to come back. To get everyone coming back and participating, to promote individual artistic development (a lot of low hanging fruit here for artists starting out or shifting medium), and to foster a shared community culture of art-- these are the intents that make the event really special.

These are ideas gathered from prior versions of the event as developed by their hosts, though I believe that it emerges from some universal thinking and hard-fought experience.

• 1 month later...

bump.

Art is still life and co-creation is still the highest form of love in this world or any other. Blur the line between self and imagination by projecting yourself onto the canvas. Let's come together and do this because we believe in its transformative power, deeply, and want that for everyone, because we believe in one another, especially when the world won't believe in us, we'll come together and show the world the true meaning of love and art. We believe in elevating our culture, we consider this our purpose. We don't create because it makes us famous, we don't do it because it makes us rich. We don't do it because it earns us a place or recognition in the world. We do it because it's a way of expressing the love we feel for life and for one another, we do it because it animates us and because we want to help manifest new life in all its forms, we do it because we know that to explore our own potential we must come together and form something larger, we must share the spirit of living culture; that's not something any individual aspiring to art can or should attempt in isolation, and we must restructure our thinking in terms of creating opportunities to pull people in. Let's do the thing and show everyone how it's done, together. Let's fill the aching void, let's create a spiral, let's elevate ourselves and one another, let's spark a beacon where today there is only darkness.

• Like 1

I'm a rank newbie, but I would be SO interested in this kind of thing!  I have no technical skills and so wouldn't be of much help but I sure would join!  I'm an artist IRL (was full-time for a few years, now PT d/t the plague) and would love to have a "studio" in SL where we could hang, take classes, share prompts, etc.

1 hour ago, ArtsyFartsy321 said:

I'm a rank newbie, but I would be SO interested in this kind of thing!  I have no technical skills and so wouldn't be of much help but I sure would join!  I'm an artist IRL (was full-time for a few years, now PT d/t the plague) and would love to have a "studio" in SL where we could hang, take classes, share prompts, etc.

If nothing else surfaces, we and anyone else interested could always just create a group ourselves and see what develops. We have some skills/experience, but it's based mostly on drawing what we see, first year art student stuff. We'd love to develop a more stylized approach and also develop our own visualization skills, and especially our ability to develop ideas or draw things quick and loose first. If that gets boring, can always switch to painting or vector art or some other approach. Maybe we'll cycle through. XD

929249596_20201207-giraffestudy1.thumb.png.a9443bdff841a5d3ceb3a16dd8c77f0e.png

Try "Too Sexy for this Group" (SLURL) as a starting place. They cross the SL to Flickr bridge to get people posting and mixing in both places that enjoy SL photography. The group is reasonably active.

Focus Magazine is the organizing energy behind this group and publishes an in-world magazine.  They can be found on Flickr here.  In-world you can find their offices, gallery, and classrooms in Desert Shores (URL).

There are threads in the People Forum -> Your Avatar section like How does your avatar look today? and others where people doing SL photos post. Often there are question and answers on how to do some aspect of SL photography. Plus, it is a good place to ask about what groups they like for photo info. Plus, they spin off other threads like: Black Dragon Tips 

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, ArtsyFartsy321 said:

I enjoy drawing and painting and would be vey interested if there was a group with meetings and classes like this.

14 hours ago, Mudbug227 said:

Is there someone who could create an art studio for us? Or an art school? We could hold open studios, art classes, exhibits, etc

It'd probably be easy to find a spot for a skybox studio classroom we could share, though perhaps it might be possible to also find sympathetic arts groups with function spaces that they aren't using outside their regular events. For example, I know of a venue in Grignano, though I haven't asked anyone about collaboration for an art thing yet, if we're going to do an art thing that Second Life does not have right now, it might be be social and helpful to start a group already connected with some arts scene.

• 1 month later...

Still want to find this or possibly start it. We could use any Sandbox or private backyard that seems quiet. It's hard to imagine anyone would disturb us. Let's build a network of growing and developing artists on Second Life.

I'm interested in figure drawing and specifically anthropomorphic beings, but also living things generally, whatever that means, and just anything classic, like still life, architecture, landscape. I think because of how I felt about my experience with charcoal,  I was always supposed to be a painter too but that was never really my track at school.

Weirdly, my ability to visualize imaginatively was almost non-existent growing up, but I had photographic immersive memory recall. In a recent conversation that was not specifically related to art but rather to uses like mindscape,  astral plane projection, or for imposition in tulpamancy, someone recently pointed out they're actually the same thing in a way: just another kind of thoughtform or energy. If you can remember it, then you can visualize it if you approach it on that basis.

It's really fun to draw from life using Second Life, it has aspects of photography because the composition work really begins with the camera. It's interesting to apply a human artistic filter to Second Life's 3D forms; I'd say it turns everything golden.

Though I'm also super interested in being some kind of AI-human fusion artist (one of the first!), and learning how to whisper interesting dreams, visions, sounds, and words co-creatively with an emerging class of AI-derived creative tools. I think the implications for VR are huge, but also the potential to open new paths and skillsets that create something truly new and or even might-as-well-be magic.

If you (or anyone) gets this together people-wise I am happy to provide a place on my sim (homestead but I am thinking that won't be an issue :D)  either school building or "en plein air". I have seventeen years of college art teaching experience and a few decades of professional RL art gallery showings.  You can run it all yourselves and or I can pop in as needed with critiques.  

You could also try talking to "Owl" at the Campbell Coast new art area.  Owl Dragonash   -- that would likely be an ideal spot for a group meeting and is a full sim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, Chic Aeon said:

If you (or anyone) gets this together people-wise I am happy to provide a place on my sim (homestead but I am thinking that won't be an issue :D)  either school building or "en plein air". I have seventeen years of college art teaching experience and a few decades of professional RL art gallery showings.  You can run it all yourselves and or I can pop in as needed with critiques.  

You could also try talking to "Owl" at the Campbell Coast new art area.  Owl Dragonash   -- that would likely be an ideal spot for a group meeting and is a full sim. 

This is a really generous offer, and I feel super-disorganized that it's taken me this long to respond to it. Definitely still interested. I'll say I'm hoping to connect with individuals or communities who would teach or mentor artists seeking to to illustrate in manga or furry/anthro idioms, but that definitely includes all traditional approaches to also create worlds for those characters to visually occupy. I've never quite been able to connect with flow and source intuitively up until recently. I know I'm really weak in painting, or even getting organized in the art app to paint, but think it could do it because that's essentially what I was doing with soft charcoal anyway. How does any artistic co-creator begin to build up a lasting momentum as an artist and as a fan of the process of art? My immediate goal is I want to be able to realize and illustrate characters in a way that makes them take on their own life, I think that's really the best way to approach it, but I'm not quite sure how to connect all the dots in a more persistent manner that's cogent enough to be intuitive and on tap like I know it should be.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2020 at 5:44 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Focus Magazine is the organizing energy behind this group and publishes an in-world magazine.  They can be found on Flickr here.  In-world you can find their offices, gallery, and classrooms in Desert Shores (URL).

Thank you, Nalates! Just wanted to mention that the FOCUS Magazine Community & Art Galleries have moved to the Holly Kai Art Sim     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.