New to SL!

LilNosferatu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey hey! I'm Kiara, and I'm new to SL, I've only been around for about a week now - and I'm still struggling to really find people to socialize with, so I'd love to try and make some more friends!

I've been wandering about, but I've noticed a lot of areas just seem empty or deserted, and I've lurked around here for a couple days to see that people seem to stick to big events or private lands? I also see night clubs seem to get high traffic but idk if I could deal with the lag or social anxiety, aHahAHah-- anyways! I figured I might as well try making a post here to see if I can find people to chat with. I'm just looking for cool peeps to chit-chat, fellow newbies to learn this crazy world with, or more knowledgeable residents who could help give me pointers and advice on things.

@_@ I've mainly been watching whatever YouTube tutorials I can find lmao. So far I've gotten my own mesh body/head and an outfit, and I've made custom textures for a couple full perm free items I've gotten from the MP-- oh, and I just rented my own cheap apartment for like L$30/week. x'D I've visited stores like Maitreya and Slink, and went to a couple event areas, but mostly I just kind of wander around or search up places to explore, just trying to find somewhere to hang out and see what the big deal is about SL.

The creative aspect of SL definitely appeals to me the most, but I've mostly just had experience with creating designs/textures, not the actual mesh shapes. But I also love to write, so I hear there's plenty of opportunity for roleplay as well! That seems fun to get into but I don't really know how to go about dipping into that... ^_^;;

SO YEAH. I'd love to chat with some people, learn more about SL, and just... idk, experience the magic. x'D There's gotta be something to this, if it's been around for almost 20 years now, right?

SL is kind of a what you make of it sort of thing to everyone, you should like you are pretty shy and in your shell.

I wouldn't mind being friends with you but the thing about that is I'm on late at night and only during the week, if that's fine with you I'd love to try and get to know you and bring you to a few clubs and sandboxes I hang out in that are pretty active! (Course.. That depends on how you feel about furries..)

It can be difficult to make friends here for sure, but you have to put in the work.  Find some things you like & keep going back, join in the local chat & eventually friendships will happen.   Horus likes to dance & listen to different kinds of music so I go to clubs & parties & am slowly getting some friends that way.  You can twig some settings on your viewer to help deal with the lag.  Also, join some groups & follow the events they put on & jump in group chat when it happens.   There are free classes & tutorials if you're interested in building & that could also be a way to meet some people inworld.   

And sometimes just IM'ing someone to ask a question or pay a compliment can lead to a friendship !  But yeah, you got to put in some work.  

Hey there! I've been wanting to get out of my shell and meet more people too instead of sitting around an empty sandbox making textures. :'D

I've also been meaning to add some picks to my profile with my interests but I haven't felt motivated enough lately... The creative side of SL is definitely what drew me though, too! All of my avatars are furries or ferals as I feel that gives me way more creative freedom with fur patterns and whacky colors or mix-n-matching parts than normal human avatars. You could shoot me an IM any time if you're at all interested in the fuzzier side of SL or just want another creative individual to talk design stuff with! I like exploring the mainland from time to time when I'm not busy with a project; It's always neat seeing relics of the pre-mesh era that are still up with the occasional modern home or shop here and there.

(I've also been eyeing the RP aspect but I'm just too shy to consider it. Every place I've seen is pretty rule-heavy and/or longstanding with a lot of preexisting lore so I've been way too skittish to approach any. I feel like I'd be way too out of my depth, eep)

On 10/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, Eseme Nova said:

SL is kind of a what you make of it sort of thing to everyone, you should like you are pretty shy and in your shell.

I wouldn't mind being friends with you but the thing about that is I'm on late at night and only during the week, if that's fine with you I'd love to try and get to know you and bring you to a few clubs and sandboxes I hang out in that are pretty active! (Course.. That depends on how you feel about furries..)

Yeah I've definitely noticed, it's pretty much up to each person to figure out what their purpose is in-world. x) I think it's cool! Just a tad overwhelming at first lol.

But no I definitely play late at night, I'm usually up until 5-6am EST, and I adore furries! My avatar currently is a furry, actually. x'D The Kemono body was just way too cute, and a lot cheaper than human mesh bodies so I'm a demon kitty for now. x) But I'd definitely love to find some active furry spaces!

On 10/13/2020 at 1:31 PM, Horus Salubrius said:

It can be difficult to make friends here for sure, but you have to put in the work.  Find some things you like & keep going back, join in the local chat & eventually friendships will happen.   Horus likes to dance & listen to different kinds of music so I go to clubs & parties & am slowly getting some friends that way.  You can twig some settings on your viewer to help deal with the lag.  Also, join some groups & follow the events they put on & jump in group chat when it happens.   There are free classes & tutorials if you're interested in building & that could also be a way to meet some people inworld.   

And sometimes just IM'ing someone to ask a question or pay a compliment can lead to a friendship !  But yeah, you got to put in some work.  

That's a really good idea! I looked up a few groups for hobbies of mine like writing and art, there were a few active ones with events scheduled out so I'm gonna try and go to a couple and see how that goes! :) Thank you for the input! ❤️

On 10/16/2020 at 3:33 AM, Anuuubis said:

Hey there! I've been wanting to get out of my shell and meet more people too instead of sitting around an empty sandbox making textures. :'D

I've also been meaning to add some picks to my profile with my interests but I haven't felt motivated enough lately... The creative side of SL is definitely what drew me though, too! All of my avatars are furries or ferals as I feel that gives me way more creative freedom with fur patterns and whacky colors or mix-n-matching parts than normal human avatars. You could shoot me an IM any time if you're at all interested in the fuzzier side of SL or just want another creative individual to talk design stuff with! I like exploring the mainland from time to time when I'm not busy with a project; It's always neat seeing relics of the pre-mesh era that are still up with the occasional modern home or shop here and there.

(I've also been eyeing the RP aspect but I'm just too shy to consider it. Every place I've seen is pretty rule-heavy and/or longstanding with a lot of preexisting lore so I've been way too skittish to approach any. I feel like I'd be way too out of my depth, eep)

I feel that so hard, I just rented an apartment so that I can stay inside and make textures in peace... x'D

And I understand that, too! I wasn't planning on being a furry in SL when I started, but I think the furry and anime-style avatars are cuter than the realistic human ones. x) I've also seen a couple people retexture human mesh bodies with fur, too! But hell yeah, I'd love to get into the furry community. I've been to a few places but at off-hours so they were pretty empty at the time. @w@ and I like exploring some of the classic areas, too! You can definitely tell the difference in pre-mesh areas, lmao.

aND YES that's been my issue with looking up RP sims/groups. They're either inactive or super active with like pAGES of lore and storyline and rules and I just feel like it's way above my head right now. x_x

On 10/15/2020 at 3:00 PM, Lolita Uldarmann said:

Hey, welcome to SL! I sent you an IM in world. 

Thank you! I remember seeing it, but my IM conversations always disappear when I log out. @_@ Is there a way to keep them up, or bring them back up?

On 10/16/2020 at 1:20 PM, angelenesmith said:

Welcome to SL - I'm new myself, feel free to send me an IM if you wanna chat!

Thank you! :3

20 hours ago, Famous32 said:

Hello, Welcome to Second Life. Feel free to IM. I'm mostly hopping around sims and shopping while also interacting with my SL family and few friends. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LilNosferatu said:

And I understand that, too! I wasn't planning on being a furry in SL when I started, but I think the furry and anime-style avatars are cuter than the realistic human ones. x) I've also seen a couple people retexture human mesh bodies with fur, too! But hell yeah, I'd love to get into the furry community. I've been to a few places but at off-hours so they were pretty empty at the time. @w@ and I like exploring some of the classic areas, too! You can definitely tell the difference in pre-mesh areas, lmao.

aND YES that's been my issue with looking up RP sims/groups. They're either inactive or super active with like pAGES of lore and storyline and rules and I just feel like it's way above my head right now. x_x

Haha, meanwhile I went in with the intention of being a furry from the get-go! I just find them a lot more appealing--  I personally find that going the super realistic route with human avatars looks super uncanny. Pictures look great, but in motion with how floaty some animations are, it kind of gives them a marionette effect to me. xwx

I'd love to find a good furry hangout but I've been looking for.. ever. The account I'm on here is an alt I originally made during a bored streak that I ended up getting new stuff for, my main is several years old by this point! Everywhere I've been is either a club with nsfw undertones or a hangout full of afk people. Still looking for somewhere I fit in besides in a quiet sandbox or my main's home.

Speaking of my hours, they could very well be the culprit lol, I'm on at unpredictable times. Sometimes I'll go to bed at normal hours PST/SL time, sometimes I'll be up at 5 am, sometimes I'll be awake from 10 pm and won't sleep until 10 am, etc. A lot of those times I'm making mods, though!

YEAH that pretty much hits the nail on the head with RP groups. I guess I'd also prefer "lighter" rp that's not super strict either and doesn't require constant upkeep. One-offs or simply chatting/reacting to things while vaguely in character while exploring I could see being fun for me, but I dunno how I'd feel about being roped into a big rp that requires everyone to schedule specific meetup times and be there regularly unless they wanna risk missing out or getting kicked out would work for me. ;w;  I'm already in a 5+ year private/closed textbased rp with people close to me, anyway!

As for IMs, I think a log is saved somewhere on your computer unless you turned that off in your Preferences. :0  Otherwise, if you're not logging IMs, it's probably somewhere in the void now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.