Jump to content

Deploy Plan for the Week of 2020-10-12


Mazidox Linden
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Lindens

Second Life Server:

No rolls are planned for Second Life Server this week

Second Life RC:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-10-09T06%3A52%3A06.550305.html

Scheduled Wednesday 2020-10-14 07:00-10:30 PDT

On Region Restarts

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators. Nothing beats turning it off and then on again ... once in a while.

  • Thanks 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators. Nothing beats turning it off and then on again ... once in a while.

 

This is still not true, my home region hit 17 days uptime today, so as "rolls" won't happen on Main Channel this week either, I'll be curious how long the region can run if someone else doesn't decide to request a restart for it. 17 days is simply ridiculous, and you guys are staying silent about the reason why this function doesn't work recently, along with the many malfunctions that remain unresolved for 2 months now. This is the point when copy-pasting the same things again and again turns into telling lies to your customers, instead of doing any kind of productive work.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlettaMondragon said:

 

This is still not true, my home region hit 17 days uptime today, so as "rolls" won't happen on Main Channel this week either, I'll be curious how long the region can run if someone else doesn't decide to request a restart for it. 17 days is simply ridiculous, and you guys are staying silent about the reason why this function doesn't work recently, along with the many malfunctions that remain unresolved for 2 months now. This is the point when copy-pasting the same things again and again turns into telling lies to your customers, instead of doing any kind of productive work.

You can always request Support to restart your sim. I'm sure it would be more effective than complaining here. 😉

Edited by MBeatrix
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

You can always request Support to restart your sim.

Yes, some of us keep poking Support to restart multiple Mainland regions one by one once they start to produce issues. It's extra work for everyone. Of course not for those that only care about the sim where they live, or not even about it. :)

By the way, can you address the part of my post about the other unresolved things too? Region crossing and teleport issues? Massive group chat failures? Support is unable to resolve those issues, and they're also unable to give proper information on what LL has or has not done yet to fix these things.

Edited by AlettaMondragon
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

You can always request Support to restart your sim. I'm sure it would be more effective than complaining here. 😉

Nice edit. I started complaining here last week, because Mazidox keeps posting deploy plan notices here that are not true. It is enough to see these for 2 months with more and more issues coming up every week to make me comment on it.

I'll just refer to your own topic from earlier, where you said they claimed to have fixed the teleport issues but you still had failed teleport attempts, then you said "all that was needed for all those sims with teleport problems was a restart". That's what I'm saying as well. Regions need a restart regardless of server updates to work properly. This is what Mazidox's post in question says as well, all the time. They just don't do it.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AlettaMondragon said:

[...] By the way, can you address the part of my post about the other unresolved things too? Region crossing and teleport issues? Massive group chat failures? Support is unable to resolve those issues, and they're also unable to give proper information on what LL has or has not done yet to fix these things.

Yes, as you got aware, fixing those issues is not what Support is for, it's a job for core programmers, engineers and those above who decide what to do, how and when to do it. Also, Support can only tell you what they are told... If there is nothing relevant told to them, they can't just make up some info about what has been or not done to fix whatever.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlettaMondragon said:

Nice edit. I started complaining here last week, because Mazidox keeps posting deploy plan notices here that are not true. It is enough to see these for 2 months with more and more issues coming up every week to make me comment on it.

[...] I'll just refer to your own topic from earlier, where you said they claimed to have fixed the teleport issues but you still had failed teleport attempts, then you said "all that was needed for all those sims with teleport problems was a restart". That's what I'm saying as well. Regions need a restart regardless of server updates to work properly. This is what Mazidox's post in question says as well, all the time. They just don't do it.

 

Maybe you didn't notice that it wasn't only a different topic, it was a whole different matter, and that most of the grid — if not all — was restarted to finish fixing the teleports issue.

I remember that not very long ago @Grumpity Linden explained the bot that does the auto restarts doesn't work as well as intended and needs to be poked once in a while. So, no, Lindens don't do it, the bot should. But, again, you can ask them via Support to restart the sims you know that aren't healthy — anytime.

Edited by MBeatrix
typo correction
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

Yes, as you got aware, fixing those issues is not what Support is for, it's a job for core programmers, engineers and those above who decide what to do, how and when to do it. Also, Support can only tell you what they are told... If there is nothing relevant told to them, they can't just make up some info about what has been or not done to fix whatever.

You don't say... then why did you bring Support into this topic in the first place? I didn't, when I complained about the false notification.

 

39 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

Maybe you didn't notice that it wasn't only a different topic, it was a whole different matter, and that most of the grid — if not all — was restarted to finish fixing the teleports issue.

I remember that not very long ago @Grumpity Linden explained the bot that does the auto restarts doesn't work as well as intended and needs to be poked once in a while. So, no, Lindens don't do it, the bot should. But, again, you can ask them via Support to restart the sims you know that aren't healthy — anytime.

The restart you're talking about happened several weeks ago. And yes, it is obvious that the bot doesn't work well. Getting a couple regions restarted by a Linden manually is good for occasional standalone issues, but when the issues are happening gridwide out of the excessive uptime, it shouldn't be done like that. Not a bad idea though, if anyone wants to chalk up hundreds of mainland region names to get restarted manually each week. Would you?

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's only one way I can sum up today in SL:  "What a mess".  I am bound to marvel at how a change of code to a relatively small portion of the Grid could have so affected grid-wide Bake services.

Perhaps LL will enlighten us via a Blogpost once they have sorted it out.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling correction
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Aishagain said:

There's only one way I can sum up today in SL:  "What a mess".  I am bound to marvel at how a change of code to a relatively small portion of the Grid could have so affected grid-wide Bake services.

Perhaps LL will enlighten us via a Blogpost once they have sorted it out.

Apparently, they did more than they said they'd be doing... Apparently.

In any case, knowing what they do or not doesn't really do anything for me. All I want is that THEY know what they are doing, which doesn't seem to be the case when they issue fix after fix that don't actually fix "it". But that's a software industry problem, in general... They hasten making changes that they think are a great idea and seem to forget how that impacts users, those who ultimately contribute to pay their living.

Edited by MBeatrix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, quite frankly I do NOT believe that LL knew WHAT they needed to fix!

Assuming that they DID change something other than the RC channel code,  why did they roll it back?

The fact that they took two attempts to address the bake system failure suggests that the first fix (one of my avatars was fine before the fix was applied yet did not bake after, while one WAS fixed), didn't really FIX anything.

The rollback sounds like "well, that didn't work so let's just put the old code back and see what happens" .

If they DID change something else, why didn't they just say so, rather than just saying how sorry they were.

This all sounds like running around in ever decreasing circles.  NOT something I want to hear from the outfit that runs SL.

Edited by Aishagain
sense edit
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Well, quite frankly I do NOT believe that LL knew WHAT they needed to fix!

Assuming that they DID change something other than the RC channel code,  why did they roll it back?

The fact that they took two attempts to address the bake system failure suggests that the first fix (one of my avatars was fine before the fix was applied yet did not bake after, while one WAS fixed), didn't really FIX anything.

The rollback sounds like "well, that didn't work so let's just put the old code back and see what happens" .

If they DID change something else, why didn't they just say so, rather than just saying how sorry they were.

This all sounds like running around in ever decreasing circles.  NOT something I want to hear from the outfit that runs SL.

I think you'd need a play-by-play or colour commentator for what you want. I just don't see that happening. A follow-up summary after the event is over and they've had an opportunity to assess what happened, what went wrong, how it was addressed, blah blah blah, is probably the best we can hope for. Oh and timely grid status updates are always helpful. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Well, quite frankly I do NOT believe that LL knew WHAT they needed to fix!

Assuming that they DID change something other than the RC channel code,  why did they roll it back?

The fact that they took two attempts to address the bake system failure suggests that the first fix (one of my avatars was fine before the fix was applied yet did not bake after, while one WAS fixed), didn't really FIX anything.

The rollback sounds like "well, that didn't work so let's just put the old code back and see what happens" .

If they DID change something else, why didn't they just say so, rather than just saying how sorry they were.

This all sounds like running around in ever decreasing circles.  NOT something I want to hear from the outfit that runs SL.

That's it... especially it is highly inconsistent when they end up with a rollback for this, while they didn't do so for the previous large issues that certain changes caused. Why didn't they roll back after the group chats got messed up entirely? Now there's still not even a fix for the previous issues, but they managed to produce more. Great job. And in such cases, they could indeed explain what they intended to do and what they failed to do so, so at least those interested in the issue itself could see the issue themselves, instead of thinking the people working on the fixes are incompetent. One thing for sure, ending up with more problems instead of resolving previous ones is not reassuring at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

All I want is that THEY know what they are doing, which doesn't seem to be the case when they issue fix after fix that don't actually fix "it". But that's a software industry problem, in general... They hasten making changes that they think are a great idea and seem to forget how that impacts users, those who ultimately contribute to pay their living.

And STILL they flail around.

Investigating - We’re aware that the issue with avatar rendering is still ongoing. Our engineering teams are actively working on the issue. We’ll post updates on the status page as we have them. We’re sorry for the ongoing issues.
Oct 15, 09:47 PDT
 

Gee, they're sorry!

 
Edited by Aishagain
additional sarcasm
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all fairness to the techs at LL, a few years ago there *might* have been a cursory notice on the GSP about Bake Failure, but little or nothing more.  I know things are bad and I am prone to moan more than many, but at least they DO communicate these days, even if the end result is not much better.

(Trying to play Devil's Advocate here)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...