Jump to content

14. You very quickly run out of things to do.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sunnyrio said:

I sometimes use the map to go somewhere where others already are

Blindly map-TPing into somewhere just because there's some green dots there can sometimes be disastrous. It really does pay to find out a little bit about that region/parcel first. It can avoid you arriving slap in the middle of somewhere completely unsuitable for you, or, for example, you may have an avatar that is against their rules. (Some places will be nice about that and politely advise you of their rules and give you plenty of time to pop off somewhere else; others not so nice may just eject you, leaving you wondering what the hell that was all about.)

A quick search on the region or parcel name (obtainable from the World Map) should come up with some information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top of my personal list of favorite things to do has changed dramatically in the last 6 months since the loss of my partner but what has dragged me back into SL has been music mainly.  I have  DJ frie

Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, ours are wasted on the OP.  The only value he seems to find in sl is here in the forums telling us that everything we do is boring and a waste of time. 

I personally (and I am guessing I might be speaking for the vast majority of ppl in SL) would rather perform brain surgery on myself with a rusty tin can lid than do anything related to computer progr

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Blindly map-TPing into somewhere just because there's some green dots there can sometimes be disastrous. It really does pay to find out a little bit about that region/parcel first. It can avoid you arriving slap in the middle of somewhere completely unsuitable for you, or, for example, you may have an avatar that is against their rules. (Some places will be nice about that and politely advise you of their rules and give you plenty of time to pop off somewhere else; others not so nice may just eject you, leaving you wondering what the hell that was all about.)

A quick search on the region or parcel name (obtainable from the World Map) should come up with some information.

It's hardly the end of the world if they get upset.  Might try that actually, get naked and transport about.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1: Sail

2: Drive

3: Fly

4: Explore the mainland and uncover the mysteries about it (there are a ton like the bot phenomenon).

5: Observe people and see how they interact with each other like Second Life is The Sims but on steroids and take notes. Learn alot. Etc.

6: Sometimes engage in conversation.

7: Yolo and just do whatever as Second Life has virtually no limits.

8: Haul cargo around Tulagi and score tonnage.

9: Mess with the natives, who knows.

10: Experiment with different avs and such.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Second Life is as limited as your own mind makes it and when I factor in what's in the name; anything can happen and I sometimes do it.

Edited by Simo Vodopan
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

1: Sail

2: Drive

3: Fly

4: Explore the mainland and uncover the mysteries about it (there are a ton like the bot phenomenon).

5: Observe people and see how they interact with each other like Second Life is The Sims but on steroids and take notes. Learn alot. Etc.

6: Sometimes engage in conversation.

7: Yolo and just do whatever as Second Life has virtually no limits.

8: Haul cargo around Tulagi and score tonnage.

9: Mess with the natives, who knows.

10: Experiment with different avs and such.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Second Life is as limited as your own mind makes it and when I factor in what's in the name; anything can happen and I sometimes do it.

What is the bot phenomenon?

I'd say they interact less than the Sims.  Most people have their own agenda and ignore nearby folk.  With the Sims AI you get fights and stuff.  Can you fight in SL?  That would be fun.

What are avs?

If they made the graphics better I think I'd enjoy it more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Hexem said:

Tedious how?

Don't you get it?  He needs to be entertained.  But like @Simo Vodopansaid, "Second Life is as limited as your own mind makes it and when I factor in what's in the name; anything can happen and I sometimes do it.". 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

What is the bot phenomenon?

I'd say they interact less than the Sims.  Most people have their own agenda and ignore nearby folk.  With the Sims AI you get fights and stuff.  Can you fight in SL?  That would be fun.

What are avs?

If they made the graphics better I think I'd enjoy it more.

1: It'll take a little bit to explain but there's a number of bots in Second Life that serve various functions and they'll be around in particular sims like info-hubs where there's less lag and they'll be logged in for months on end.

 

Each has their own differing behaviors as well, such as one will instantly TP away when you walk up to it and another will instantly walk/fly back to it's original position perfectly if you bump/otherwise mess around with it and at times there will be a whole platoon of bots roaming together (I've seen 20 in one stack) and when you go up to them all instantly TP out at the same time.

 

That's what I mean by the 'bot phenomenon'. There's actually a place inworld where you can purchase a bot, get the password to the account and control it as you see fit; program it and just let it do whatever. There's much I can touch on about it but yeah.

 

2: Depends on the people really, SL is highly diverse like that. Yeah, you can get into fights (pretty much, got a military community and all of that, that have combat sims).

 

3: Avs=short for avatar. I experiment with various looks. Male, female etc.

Edited by Simo Vodopan
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

It's hardly the end of the world if they get upset.  Might try that actually, get naked and transport about.

As you like! Its "Your World, Your Imagination". But there are the Terms of Service and the Community Standards to be aware of. You did, of course, read these before you signed up to them, didn't you? Actually, hardly anyone ever does, which is why some people think they can do anything they like, and it doesn't quite work out like that.

Just in case you didn't, you might like to have a look at them before doing anything contraversial.

You might benefit from having a look at the Maturity Ratings, too:-

I'm only trying to help! But getting banned from Second Life is hardly the end of the world?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Odaks said:

As you like! Its "Your World, Your Imagination". But there are the Terms of Service and the Community Standards to be aware of. You did, of course, read these before you signed up to them, didn't you? Actually, hardly anyone ever does, which is why some people think they can do anything they like, and it doesn't quite work out like that.

Just in case you didn't, you might like to have a look at them before doing anything contraversial.

You might benefit from having a look at the Maturity Ratings, too:-

I'm only trying to help! But getting banned from Second Life is hardly the end of the world?

One thing I've learned over time? There's a certain group of people that are aware of the ToS and all of that but they just don't give a sod about it. They get a certain thrill out of doing it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

One thing I've learned over time? There's a certain group of people that are aware of the ToS and all of that but they just don't give a sod about it. They get a certain thrill out of doing it.

Sadly, very true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JenniexKim said:

I feel like my routine nowadays is 1. Shop 2. Take Pictures 3. Hang out with my friends.. and that's literally all I do lol  and maybe the occasional exploring sims or what not.

@JenniexKim you forgot about the occasional games night, and the odd orgy here and there. 😜

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 1:13 AM, Paul Hexem said:

Tedious how?

The stargate area doesn't really have much to do, you just look at stuff.  Nothing is interactive.

 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:16 AM, RowanMinx said:

Don't you get it?  He needs to be entertained.  But like @Simo Vodopansaid, "Second Life is as limited as your own mind makes it and when I factor in what's in the name; anything can happen and I sometimes do it.". 

 

If I wanted to create things in my own mind I could stare at a blank screen.

 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:21 AM, Simo Vodopan said:

1: It'll take a little bit to explain but there's a number of bots in Second Life that serve various functions and they'll be around in particular sims like info-hubs where there's less lag and they'll be logged in for months on end.

 

Each has their own differing behaviors as well, such as one will instantly TP away when you walk up to it and another will instantly walk/fly back to it's original position perfectly if you bump/otherwise mess around with it and at times there will be a whole platoon of bots roaming together (I've seen 20 in one stack) and when you go up to them all instantly TP out at the same time.

 

That's what I mean by the 'bot phenomenon'. There's actually a place inworld where you can purchase a bot, get the password to the account and control it as you see fit; program it and just let it do whatever. There's much I can touch on about it but yeah.

 

2: Depends on the people really, SL is highly diverse like that. Yeah, you can get into fights (pretty much, got a military community and all of that, that have combat sims).

 

3: Avs=short for avatar. I experiment with various looks. Male, female etc.

So you mean the bots are just people mucking about and they don't all serve a real purpose?  I've only seen ones that appear to serve a purpose - a bot dog which presumably is to make the game more realistic, and a bot prostitute which was there to earn the owner money.

Oh, you dress up as the opposite sex.  I see.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:54 AM, Odaks said:

As you like! Its "Your World, Your Imagination". But there are the Terms of Service and the Community Standards to be aware of. You did, of course, read these before you signed up to them, didn't you? Actually, hardly anyone ever does, which is why some people think they can do anything they like, and it doesn't quite work out like that.

Just in case you didn't, you might like to have a look at them before doing anything contraversial.

You might benefit from having a look at the Maturity Ratings, too:-

I'm only trying to help! But getting banned from Second Life is hardly the end of the world?

No I haven't read them, at least you admit nobody does.  You need OCD to read that rubbish.  Being naked should never offend upset or get anyone banned.  It's how we're born.  And if you shout abuse at someone, that's only words.  We need a new T&C entry.  You get banned from SL for moaning about petty things.  Like that would work, we all know it's easy to set up a new account.

 

On 10/17/2020 at 11:08 AM, Horus Salubrius said:

I've seen board games mentioned a few times now.  Where do these happen ?  /me would prolly like that ... 

I saw a ten pin bowling alley once, but there was nobody there except the owner, who kept going away from keyboard.  There just aren't enough people for the size of this thing.

 

On 10/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, Simo Vodopan said:

One thing I've learned over time? There's a certain group of people that are aware of the ToS and all of that but they just don't give a sod about it. They get a certain thrill out of doing it.

Not sure what you mean, but those who do read them certainly make a pest of themselves by reporting everything left right and centre.  How about a ban for making more than one report a month?

 

On 10/18/2020 at 7:44 AM, JenniexKim said:

I feel like my routine nowadays is 1. Shop 2. Take Pictures 3. Hang out with my friends.. and that's literally all I do lol  and maybe the occasional exploring sims or what not.

Sounds about as interesting as watching paint dry.  I'm off to play a real game - fallout 4.

 

On 10/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, PixieGirrrrl said:

@JenniexKim you forgot about the occasional games night, and the odd orgy here and there. 😜

Yeah, if you consider two cartoons making slightly naughty motions as anything remotely erotic.  The only way it would be anything like erotic is if you were wearing VR kit and could actually move your avatar realistically, instead of following a few preset actions.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I thought you'd left already.  Oh well.

b8134ab0b85e1b7c7410dc318540c72316937c1569a7492a5b30221493952124.jpg

No, I have a fuller life than you and don't spend all my time in here.  Maybe that's why you like SL, because your RL sux?

And I'm not translating the text in that picture into English, in fact even Google Translate couldn't work it out.

  

9 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Such A Joy GIF - YouAreSuchARayOfSunshine Ray Sunshine GIFs

And just what did a 2 second clip of someone speaking add to that reply?

 

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think sl is like rl in a sense that if u get bored easily in rl will happen in sl only sl can amplify that. Unless one has a specific passion like building or scripting or a certian kind of RP or whatever like that, things can get old quick. Sailing in fun for a while, but unless you maybe in a club or group it becomes ok, whats next? Flying same thing of that is helped along with all the sim cross issues, running into ban lines etc.. I suppose SL is what you make of it. if it becomes boring usualy phase out for a bit then come back look for something new seems to help.. I keep busy mostly with wedding videos but alot of the other stuff, yeah, it does become real old real fast

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I think sl is like rl in a sense that if u get bored easily in rl will happen in sl only sl can amplify that. Unless one has a specific passion like building or scripting or a certian kind of RP or whatever like that, things can get old quick. Sailing in fun for a while, but unless you maybe in a club or group it becomes ok, whats next? Flying same thing of that is helped along with all the sim cross issues, running into ban lines etc.. I suppose SL is what you make of it. if it becomes boring usualy phase out for a bit then come back look for something new seems to help.. I keep busy mostly with wedding videos but alot of the other stuff, yeah, it does become real old real fast

Agreed.  The thing is RL has a lot more in it.  And each thing is more immersive.  Go sailing in RL and you don't just view it on a screen, you feel it.  SL needs more, it needs much better graphics (it's way behind any other game), and it needs a VR headset or preferably a suit.  I need direct interaction with the surroundings.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sunnyrio said:

I need direct interaction with the surroundings.

In that case, I strongly recommend trying RL. It has a lot of downsides ( CoVid-19, weird economy, etc.) but it's kind of fun to play. You'd be surprised how many fun things you can find to do even for free.  And they don't usually require a VR headset or fancy graphics or an expensive sound system either.  They're probably better for your cardio-vascular system too.  Give it a shot.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

No, I have a fuller life than you and don't spend all my time in here.  Maybe that's why you like SL, because your RL sux?

And I'm not translating the text in that picture into English, in fact even Google Translate couldn't work it out.

  

And just what did a 2 second clip of someone speaking add to that reply?

 

Actually, my life is over filled at the moment which is why I'm in the forums lately and not inworld.  But remind me again why you bother?  And the text was perfectly readable to most people as it was in English.  But anyway....since you couldn't manage...Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

And that makes #7 on the list.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunnyrio said:

The stargate area doesn't really have much to do, you just look at stuff.  Nothing is interactive.

 

If I wanted to create things in my own mind I could stare at a blank screen.

 

So you mean the bots are just people mucking about and they don't all serve a real purpose?  I've only seen ones that appear to serve a purpose - a bot dog which presumably is to make the game more realistic, and a bot prostitute which was there to earn the owner money.

Oh, you dress up as the opposite sex.  I see.

No I haven't read them, at least you admit nobody does.  You need OCD to read that rubbish.  Being naked should never offend upset or get anyone banned.  It's how we're born.  And if you shout abuse at someone, that's only words.  We need a new T&C entry.  You get banned from SL for moaning about petty things.  Like that would work, we all know it's easy to set up a new account.

 

I saw a ten pin bowling alley once, but there was nobody there except the owner, who kept going away from keyboard.  There just aren't enough people for the size of this thing.

 

Not sure what you mean, but those who do read them certainly make a pest of themselves by reporting everything left right and centre.  How about a ban for making more than one report a month?

 

Sounds about as interesting as watching paint dry.  I'm off to play a real game - fallout 4.

 

Yeah, if you consider two cartoons making slightly naughty motions as anything remotely erotic.  The only way it would be anything like erotic is if you were wearing VR kit and could actually move your avatar realistically, instead of following a few preset actions.

Naw, the bots are legit bots programmed to do whatever man. They take a typical account and then program it in. Then the avatar does it's thing while the owner can sit back and watch if they want.

As for the ToS? It's simple; rebels, people breaking the rules for fun you know?

And yep! I genderbend, I bend my avs in all sorts of ways. From being a anthro wolf to a busty elven lady.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  1. Perform with a ballet company
  2. show RL work in an art gallery (SL art too)
  3. Volunteer for a charity and participate in their events, Fantasy Faire etc. 
  4. join a historical community, do historical research
  5. Record stories to be broadcast at a listening party
  6. read your poetry live
  7. sing live as a performance or just informally at a bardic circle or karaoke
  8. participate in a seasonal ritual with a group of druids
  9. build, decorate and dj at your own venue
  10. go to live performances, tribute bands and other entertainments

theres my top 10 highlight reel off the top of my head today - there’s really a lot to do IMO. There’s a ton of things that don’t suit me at all too. But I really feel like there’s some truth to the saying ‘only boring people get bored’.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

In that case, I strongly recommend trying RL. It has a lot of downsides ( CoVid-19, weird economy, etc.) but it's kind of fun to play. You'd be surprised how many fun things you can find to do even for free.  And they don't usually require a VR headset or fancy graphics or an expensive sound system either.  They're probably better for your cardio-vascular system too.  Give it a shot.

I do.  But SL has a few advantages, like not actually dying, and not needing to go to work.  If they could make SL better, it would be closer to RL.  I don't understand why the graphics are about 10-15 years behind any other computer game.  And why doesn't it connect to things like VR headsets?

 

24 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Actually, my life is over filled at the moment which is why I'm in the forums lately and not inworld.  But remind me again why you bother?  And the text was perfectly readable to most people as it was in English.  But anyway....since you couldn't manage...Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

And that makes #7 on the list.

Obviously not as full as mine as I don't have the time to read these forums often.  I usually wait until there's been 20 replies then do them all at once.  It was on Olde English.  Like Shakespeare, and I don't speak that.  I couldn't tell you what thee or thou means.  Is it the?  It?  You?  Your?

 

15 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Naw, the bots are legit bots programmed to do whatever man. They take a typical account and then program it in. Then the avatar does it's thing while the owner can sit back and watch if they want.

As for the ToS? It's simple; rebels, people breaking the rules for fun you know?

And yep! I genderbend, I bend my avs in all sorts of ways. From being a anthro wolf to a busty elven lady.

The ToS are over the top.  Who cares if someone is naked or says a rude word?  I even don't care about that in real life, and in here it doesn't affect you at all.

 

13 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

 

  1. Perform with a ballet company
  2. show RL work in an art gallery (SL art too)
  3. Volunteer for a charity and participate in their events, Fantasy Faire etc. 
  4. join a historical community, do historical research
  5. Record stories to be broadcast at a listening party
  6. read your poetry live
  7. sing live as a performance or just informally at a bardic circle or karaoke
  8. participate in a seasonal ritual with a group of druids
  9. build, decorate and dj at your own venue
  10. go to live performances, tribute bands and other entertainments

theres my top 10 highlight reel off the top of my head today - there’s really a lot to do IMO. There’s a ton of things that don’t suit me at all too. But I really feel like there’s some truth to the saying ‘only boring people get bored’.

All those things you listed sound like the "local community" crap I get in leaflets through my door, pointless clubs to join.  I can find plenty to amuse myself with in real life, in fact there's too much to fit in.  But almost all of that cannot be done in SL.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

I do.  But SL has a few advantages, like not actually dying, and not needing to go to work.  If they could make SL better, it would be closer to RL.  I don't understand why the graphics are about 10-15 years behind any other computer game.  And why doesn't it connect to things like VR headsets?

 

Obviously not as full as mine as I don't have the time to read these forums often.  I usually wait until there's been 20 replies then do them all at once.  It was on Olde English.  Like Shakespeare, and I don't speak that.  I couldn't tell you what thee or thou means.  Is it the?  It?  You?  Your?

 

The ToS are over the top.  Who cares if someone is naked or says a rude word?  I even don't care about that in real life, and in here it doesn't affect you at all.

 

All those things you listed sound like the "local community" crap I get in leaflets through my door, pointless clubs to join.  I can find plenty to amuse myself with in real life, in fact there's too much to fit in.  But almost all of that cannot be done in SL.

Oh I don't care it's just these guys think they're being badasses I mean and try to impress.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...