New version 2 of the Gorean Roleplay Guide for SL removed?

roughplay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, roughplay said:

Not a good idea to start a bullying. This is one of the reasons why so many left Second Life forever.

to be honest i can't really imagine venting different opinions, even strong ones, on the forum will effect the numbers inworld a lot. It's such very small minority that visits here...

• Like 5

Ah. Ah hahaha. Much as I'd love to revisit it, and certainly I'd love to address the idea that perpetuating a subculture based on hate and misogyny (with "cult" being quite the operative word in some circles) is fine, but making fun of it at a class level is bullying....this has been removed once already, presumably because it's advertising. So I'll just report it (I didn't last time, I promise) and leave it there for now. There'll be other times, I'm sure. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

*snickers* gor.. lol.. what a joke.. what a riot.. what a bunch of narcissistic and misogynistic people gor is filled with...its nothing more than a cult of abusive people trying to take advantage of uneducated or desperately lonely people.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

11 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

to be honest i can't really imagine venting different opinions, even strong ones, on the forum will effect the numbers inworld a lot. It's such very small minority that visits here...

so very true, these forums are such a small amount of the total users of sl that most of what is ever said here has no real effect on the general population of sl ever. A lot of people like to think or claim or believe otherwise which just shows how stupid they really are by thinking so.

8 hours ago, Bitterthorn said:

Do online Gor communities have the same issues as the IRL BDSM ones? Genuine question, it's never been my thing so I've never looked at the SL gor groups.

Gor isn't BDSM. It's a hate cult based on the belief that women - all women, including you, me, your grandmother, your daughter and all other women who don't play there - are naturally subhuman and need, want and deserve horrible abuse, indeed can't be happy without it. We are almost incapable of forming friendships with other women because all we care about is  competing for men, and if we are unhappy or frustrated, the only reason is because we aren't getting enough of this horrible treatment. People get angry at me when I say this, but it's all there in the source material, and I never saw a sim that wasn't all about being "by the book". (And anyway, if they don't like it, perhaps they shouldn't quote it all the time.) Change the words "women" and "girls" to "black people" and "Jews" throughout and it would be slung off the grid and the publishing house in ten seconds flat and rightly so.

It is true that not all Goreans are themselves nasty misogynists (though goodness knows enough of them are; they sometimes try to hide it but it comes out) but they are all validating and perpetuating someone who is, and writings and beliefs which are, and they're a bit too accommodating of their fellow Goreans who are for my liking. They always have an excuse as to why none of that matters and they're all good, but I'm a terrible person for making fun of their dress sense and emoting skills at a cultural level.

You do indeed get problems with consent and abuse there; to be fair, you do get that in other places too, but you don't get the religious element thrown in with all the tedious, restrictive and sometimes fanatical attitudes that go with it. You also tend to get a better class of dominant in places where they actually have to carve out their dominance themselves and not just rely on religious texts and sim rules to maintain their authority. 

I have no experience of RL Gor myself, though one of their houses did get busted over here some years ago when the police were called because they had destroyed someone's passport. I also knew of people in Gor sims having at their girlfriends with red hot pokers in the kitchen; could have been rubbish but they certainly wanted you to think it was true. Someone on here has told me about RL murders connected to RL Gor communities. You could say the subculture didn't cause that any more than video games would, and you may be right, but there is something rotten about a subculture that attracts such people and gives them validation in their minds. They do indeed hold RL conventions; only about three teeth to be seen in the place, but that's not the point.

My advice: go to Arabian Nights sims. You still get the dancing girl, master/slave, fierce combat thing if that's what you enjoy but you don't get the underlying concept of women being subhuman. Sims are prettier too. Until the Gorean Borg shows up to ruin those too. Yes, I'm bitter...

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply, Amina. 

I am extremely familiar with the source material, and it's creator. While Gor is not BDSM the Kink/BDSM community in my part of the world has a fairly strong Gorean subculture representation-- or at least it did. Not but a few years ago some of the more public masters were arrested (details of which make my stomach turn) and another is locked in an ongoing legal battle related to the downright horrific abuse that permeates the Gorean IRL community. 

I wondered if the online community, removed from the real life control aspect, would be tied to the same abuse of the player / person. After my post I had a few people (mostly women) reach out in world to me with their horror stories, so it looks like the same bad blood does indeed run in the online community too. Though I suppose I'm not surprised so much as I just wanted to be sure my bias wasn't unfounded. 

Edited by Bitterthorn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 6:30 PM, Bitterthorn said:

Do online Gor communities have the same issues as the IRL BDSM ones? Genuine question, it's never been my thing so I've never looked at the SL gor groups.

Gor is based on some incredibly cheesy, poorly written fantasy novels. A lot of the BDSM style interactions in them would cause serious physical or emotional harm if tried in the real world. It would be like trying to play out the Beauty series RL. Just not happening. Many of those into it in SL are immature idiots who probably would run if given a harsh look RL. I guess the closest in RL I can think of are the jerks who claim to be 'True Masters'.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:02 AM, roughplay said:

No idea why, because it happened without any comment.
So, well, if one want this guide...send me a note in SL.

Gorean RP Guide V2a1-2020.png

I have always respected Gorean's Roleplay and any sim I open next year you'll be welcome there as well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.