Major differences of available body types

Candy Tangerine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, 

So I'm thinking of trying out a different body brand and I'm wanting to know the major differences between them all?    Whenever I buy a nice piece of clothing, from Blueberry for example, it has different choices for: Maitreya, Slink, Freya, ISIS, Venus, Physique, Hourglass.  Why so many different body types.  Is it just a price difference, or some for tall or short avi's, or thin or heavy avi's?

Is there a cheatsheet somewhere that explains all the differences?  Thank you.

• Like 5

On 10/9/2020 at 8:08 PM, Candy Tangerine said:

Hi, 

So I'm thinking of trying out a different body brand and I'm wanting to know the major differences between them all?    Whenever I buy a nice piece of clothing, from Blueberry for example, it has different choices for: Maitreya, Slink, Freya, ISIS, Venus, Physique, Hourglass.  Why so many different body types.  Is it just a price difference, or some for tall or short avi's, or thin or heavy avi's?

Is there a cheatsheet somewhere that explains all the differences?  Thank you.

I think maitreya is the most easy body to deal with. I have a hud. I click it does what it is to do. i don't have to wait for it to open in thirty seconds, or five seconds. I like maitreya, but it is up to you  what you get. :)  Maitreya is a big one, most if not all clothing designers make clothes for maitreya and applier cretors make appliers for it, so I like maitreya. :)  I have noticed that certain bodies are not always included in outfits, even if it is the same creator.  Hope this helps. :) 

Edited by Jaide Beck
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Jaide Beck said:

I think maitreya is the most easy body to deal with. I have a hud. I click it does what it is to do. i don't have to wait for it to open in thirty seconds, or five seconds. I like maitreya, but it is up to you  what you get. :)  Maitreya is a big one, most if not all clothing designers make clothes for maitreya and applier cretors make appliers for it, so I like maitreya. :)  I have noticed that certain bodies are not always included in outfits, even if it is the same creator.  Hope this helps. :) 

I use Maitrey 5.2 to build female avatars wich serve as models. I can only agree to what you said. Also important for me as BOM fan that one can activate/deactivate BOM with a button click. And that a HUD with BOM fixes is including.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 3

Yep, I'm Maitreya all the way since day one.  I love her.  I have no desire to switch from Maitreya Lara Mesh Body.  Brilliant.  Maitreya has five feet positions now - one for ballet - YAY!  I love ballet.  

I agree with what Jaide Beck said, in that some clothing designers are currently dropping some bodies.  Many have dropped Slink Physique but still do Hourglass.  Now some designers are dropping Isis and Venus and just doing Freya from that particular line.  Legacy has a tainted past it's working hard to get past.   Also Legacy (which is very popular) has about 750k polygons which is a heavy load on a computer and could lag you out.  Best to take the demo bodies on a test run and go to busy places to see how your own computer runs while wearing such a heavy polygon body such as Legacy has prior to buying it.   Maitreya has about 150k polygons so it's not as tough of a body to run.  

Also, what Jaide Beck is speaking about is the Legacy HUD is very slow and laggy.  That's another story I don't have time to tell.  The Maitreya HUD has no problems.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Also, what Jaide Beck is speaking about is the Legacy HUD is very slow and laggy. That's another story I don't have time to tell

Please do, once you have the time for.
I would like to know if Legacy is still a pile of malicious coded junk, always communicating with their RL servers in order to make their stuff work in SL.

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I would like to know if Legacy is still a pile of malicious coded junk, always communicating with their RL servers in order to make their stuff work in SL.

You can use parts of the new TMP classic and Legacy meshbody  with out needing media enabled (accesses their server) like alpha cuts and changing foot shape hand animations etc. But if you want to use their included skins, activate BoM, access customisation options from the old TMP body (not available on the free body so the old HUD is still needed) you need media enabled for their server. As overpriced and junky as the body is it's gaining a lot of popularity in creator support, eeking out more established bodies. I almost fear the day creators start dropping Maitreya to make things Legacy exclusive

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I just wanted to add that, if cost is an issue, I have a blogpost which I keep constantly updated, which looks at options for free or inexpensive mesh heads and bodies for female avatars.

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/09/24/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-mesh-heads-and-bodies-for-female-second-life-avatars/

I have found that clothing designed for Maitreya Lara works well with the Altamura freebie bodies (tops fit almost exactly; you might some problems with bottoms). I have found that the new Kalhene Anya and Alexa mesh head and body package are 99% compatible with Maitreya Lara apparel and footwear (just a few problems with some long-sleeved tops around the wrist area). The Lucybody Atenea mesh body is also very compatible with Maitreya Lara clothing (and the feet are Slink compatible).If you opt for the dollarbie Classic mesh body by Meshbody (formerly kinown as The Mesh Project or TMP), there is quite a bit of TMP clothing out there for it, including lots of freebies at places like The Free Dove (check the signs for TMP).

In other words, you do not need to spend thousands of Linden dollars to get a good-looking, mesh avatar appearance. 

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anybody doing this on the male side?

I've been looking into why Roth 2, which is supposed to wear mesh clothing for classic avatars, has fit problems.

rothvsbasemodel.thumb.png.72279a5c353c68

Roth 2 on left, classic avatar on right. Same height.

Roth's clavicles are too far back at the shoulders, and the settings on a few sliders need to be re-calibrated, so that butt size 50 means the same thing on both avatars. Then fitmesh should work.

Anyone know enough about avatar construction to explain how to do that?

Compensating for the Roth avatar built into the viewer is done by doing lots of trial and error. Even then you can only get close.

It has been some time since I dove into the Classic avatar for building purposes. At the time we were looking at Karl's Deformer and dealing with Liquid Mesh clothes and Standard sizes. None worked well. You can look through my blog for the old deformer articles and those on Liquid and Fitted mesh.

Once fitted mesh was adopted by the Lab people stopped hassling with fitting clothes to the Classic avatar. It never worked well and was tedious.

The classic avatar is based on the idea of morphs. Adding body fat morphs the body. Meaning the vertices weighted to a bone move the adjustment distance without regard to the bone. They ten move the weighted amounts from the new location.

Fitted mesh clothes do NOT consider morphing. The starting location of their vertices do not get changed. They just follow the bone. Clothes made to fit at some specific shape setting no longer fit when those settings are changed. So, we got the Standard Size thing.

When the avatar moves the amount a morphed body moves is at a different rate than the mesh clothes. It is VERY DIFFICULT to avoid poke through. So, alpha masking was a major part of making fitted mesh standard size clothes for the classic avatar.

With mesh bodies and fitted mesh clothes both have similar weighting and move in parallel and at a single rate as the bone moves. Both ignore the Classic body and avoid the morph changes from the shape sliders. They do consider the new bones that apply shape changes. Since mesh body and clothes are based on the same shape bones any change in a vertex location is recognized by both body and clothes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

I just wanted to add that, if cost is an issue, I have a blogpost which I keep constantly updated, which looks at options for free or inexpensive mesh heads and bodies for female avatars.

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/09/24/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-mesh-heads-and-bodies-for-female-second-life-avatars/

I have found that clothing designed for Maitreya Lara works well with the Altamura freebie bodies (tops fit almost exactly; you might some problems with bottoms). I have found that the new Kalhene Anya and Alexa mesh head and body package are 99% compatible with Maitreya Lara apparel and footwear (just a few problems with some long-sleeved tops around the wrist area). The Lucybody Atenea mesh body is also very compatible with Maitreya Lara clothing (and the feet are Slink compatible).If you opt for the dollarbie Classic mesh body by Meshbody (formerly kinown as The Mesh Project or TMP), there is quite a bit of TMP clothing out there for it, including lots of freebies at places like The Free Dove (check the signs for TMP).

In other words, you do not need to spend thousands of Linden dollars to get a good-looking, mesh avatar appearance. 

I can also confirm that Lucybody Vania is compatible with Maitreya Petite clothing (although the breast size is VERY petite on that one and doesn't respond to sliders the way Maitreya's version does). But with your shape sliders down at around breast size 10, it fits every Petite top I've tried so far. Vania is not free, but it's only around L$1250 and there's nothing extra to pay for BoM relay like there is with the "free" body, so it's less than half the cost of Maitreya + Petite.  Lucybody also does a completely flat chested version (Natasha) but I haven't tried that one so I can't say if it's compatible with Lara Flat, or with V-Tech, or neither.

Weirdly, although Lucybody bodies are compatible with Maitreya clothing, they fit Slink shoes, except long boots, for which you need Maitreya fit and hide your feet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Compensating for the Roth avatar built into the viewer is done by doing lots of trial and error. Even then you can only get close.

It has been some time since I dove into the Classic avatar for building purposes. At the time we were looking at Karl's Deformer and dealing with Liquid Mesh clothes and Standard sizes. None worked well. You can look through my blog for the old deformer articles and those on Liquid and Fitted mesh.

Once fitted mesh was adopted by the Lab people stopped hassling with fitting clothes to the Classic avatar. It never worked well and was tedious.

The classic avatar is based on the idea of morphs. Adding body fat morphs the body. Meaning the vertices weighted to a bone move the adjustment distance without regard to the bone. They ten move the weighted amounts from the new location.

Fitted mesh clothes do NOT consider morphing. The starting location of their vertices do not get changed. They just follow the bone. Clothes made to fit at some specific shape setting no longer fit when those settings are changed. So, we got the Standard Size thing.

When the avatar moves the amount a morphed body moves is at a different rate than the mesh clothes. It is VERY DIFFICULT to avoid poke through. So, alpha masking was a major part of making fitted mesh standard size clothes for the classic avatar.

With mesh bodies and fitted mesh clothes both have similar weighting and move in parallel and at a single rate as the bone moves. Both ignore the Classic body and avoid the morph changes from the shape sliders. They do consider the new bones that apply shape changes. Since mesh body and clothes are based on the same shape bones any change in a vertex location is recognized by both body and clothes.

That's very helpful. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I almost fear the day creators start dropping Maitreya to make things Legacy exclusive

I don't think so Claireschen...Maitreya still has a ways to go I'm sure, but you never know when the "next" mesh body will ever come out or even if someone will come out with mesh heads and the body meshed together as the new "thing".  

But, I was just now looking at another clothing store I've never seen the clothes of before and they only have Maitreya, Legacy and Freya.  They don't have Hourglass even?  I thought that was a little strange, at least in my experience.  

Also, many designers seem to have these four the most that I've seen anyhow and they are - Maitreya Lara, Maitreya Petite, Legacy and Legacy Perky.  The petite and the perky seem to be huge hits in SL.  And, Freya is hanging in there too but I have seen some stores just today having only Maitreya and Legacy plus their petite and perky counterparts.

I think new mesh bodies from someone else could be in the future...that's a who knows as to when or what would be a better one than those available now.  

It was sad to see Physique not getting the love and now Hourglass not either?  Sad, kind of.  

EDIT:  I just wanted to add, I'm beginning to wonder if some of this "cutting back" is coronavirus related in any way?  Such as perhaps cannot afford extra staff to make the clothes for what may be the less popular bodies.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

I suspect the big names in clothing have more to do than they can get to. So, they save time by dropping support for slow selling brands.

However, as I explore the lesser known stores I find good support for Slink. I also let them now I appreciate the Slink versions.

I find it a bit odd that many support Hourglass without supporting Original. Slink provides creation tips with their Dev Kit. The big one is to make the initial item for Original then with minor tweaks you can easily make the Hourglass version. It doesn't work so well making Hourglass then Original. Its a vertex editing thing that gets tedious if your working the wrong direction. 

Now that Petite is in fashion, we may see some shifts. I also think that as people notice the Maitreya shoulders and how many animation work poorly with the arms they will be less happy with Maitreya. Whether that will be enough people to make a significant difference... time. But it is the reason I haven't bought Maitreya. There are loads of clothes I love that had me thinking about buying Maitreya.

• Like 6

On 10/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, animats said:

Anybody doing this on the male side?

Yes, here: https://ryanschultz.com/2018/10/04/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-and-inexpensive-mesh-heads-and-bodies-for-male-second-life-avatars/

And I have had all kinds of problems getting any mesh clothing to fit the Roth 2 male mesh body properly. Your best bets for a free male mesh body are the Classic male mesh by The Meshbody (all TMP clothes fit it) and the Altamura freebie bodies (Slink, Singature, and/or Belleza Jake clothing usually fits them).

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 1

You can get some clothing to fit the Roth 2 body, more or less.

• Mesh jackets or tops for classic avatars and texture bottoms tend to work together, because the texture clothes are inside the mesh.
  • Same in reverse - mesh jeans/slacks usually work with texture tops. Roth2 does BOM, so all the old freebie stuff works.
  • Mesh tops and bottoms usually don't fit together, unless they're a matched pair.
  • Resizable shoes and boots for classic usually work.
  • Only get mesh stuff that comes with its own matching alpha layer.

The New Resident Island people are trying to come up with some free or low cost items Roth 2 can wear, for their walkthrough tutorial.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.