Recommendation for mouse or joystick for one handed player

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am helping someone is one handed (due to paralysis) and would benefit from a joystick or mouse, to control avatar movements and actions.

Cost is not an issue, I simply need to find the best / frustration free/minimized option for him.

He would like to ride /direct motorcycles.

We have set him up with a very nice gaming laptop. 

All suggestions appreciated.  Remember: One hand must control all actions. 

Thanks in advance.

System specs as follows:

HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15.6" Core i5-8300H 15.6-inch with 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD Storage

54 minutes ago, TangledNBlue said:

I am helping someone is one handed (due to paralysis) and would benefit from a joystick or mouse, to control avatar movements and actions.

Cost is not an issue, I simply need to find the best / frustration free/minimized option for him.

He would like to ride /direct motorcycles.

We have set him up with a very nice gaming laptop. 

All suggestions appreciated.  Remember: One hand must control all actions. 

Thanks in advance.

System specs as follows:

HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15.6" Core i5-8300H 15.6-inch with 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD Storage

Maybe a high end gaming mouse, with programmable buttons which can be set to simulate sequence of key presses and/or short cuts and even specialized if a given application or the OS.

• Like 3

gaming mouse with multiple buttons. try looking at something like that. it has multiple buttons that can be programmed for different actions. it has 12 buttons that can be programmed with macros or other key presses to make doing things easier in games.

amazon.com

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
more information added
  • Like 3

Try a Steam Controller - if you can find one. https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/ (I have one).
There is talk of a Steam controller 2, but nothing solid yet.
Remember that most controller assignments are configurable in most games.
Any one handed solution would require solid mounting/clamping to allow for the best fun :)
MS Flight sim will turbocharge the "controller" marketplace.
Quite possibly one of these devices could be more suitable - if they have a little joystick.

• Like 1

I used a Logitech G600 for a while. It's their take on the MMO mouse like the Naga. I just programmed a few keys to do common tasks like open inventory and stuff. It works fine for walking if you remap the WASD keys, I don't know about driving. I switched back to a G502 because it's more comfortable and I like the scroll wheel better. It's chunkier than the G502. You didn't say which had your friend is using, like most mice the G600 is only going to be useful in the right hand.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
words are hard
  • Like 1

Thank you so much.. reviewing all this wonderful information. 

PS he uses his right hand.  We cannot clamp any controller down so to speak.  

We are actually in the process of getting an arm to mount/lock the gaming laptop on, because nursing staff will not bring him his laptop. (I'd like to see them go a day without their computer).  There is no surface to clamp anything more onto, and even if there were, it is better for him to use it by his side instead reaching out in front of him.  If it is mouse style, may require a stiff pad to lay that to his side?

Edited by TangledNBlue
  • Like 1

I use the Logitech G300 which is an ambidextrous one (I use it with my left hand). I also make extensive use of the "sticky keys" feature in Windows, which toggles the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys instead of requiring that they be held down.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.