About skyboxes

Jenzels

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

When I first came into SL, a whole month ago, I met up with someone who was kind enough to show me some features of SL.  One of them I remember was that we went into a bubble contraption and he rezzed skyboxes.  Once finished I’m sure they were packed away, and we went and ‘bubbled’ into another skybox of his.  I didn’t think of asking him, as everything was new and I thought I’ll work it out.

I can’t seem to find information on how to quickly rez and de-rez skyboxes….just the basics about skyboxes, how to erect them, etc.  ((create object, z axis in air, build, make sure their on your land )).  I’m hoping there’s a way to set them up initially, pack them away, and then re-rez as you need them.

Also another question.

I just rented land myself, set up a skybox and took a whole night adding objects, adjusting them, getting them moved to the right place, etc.  just over 400 prims.  I’ve read horror stories of landowners suddenly pulling the plug and tossing their tenants out.  I’m quite confident with the current landowner/manager I have now, however I still would like to know:

Is it possible to save how my skybox is with all the objects in it as some sort of configuration file?

I would hate that one day, all the objects are just dumped back into my inventory, scattered by the four winds!

If you purchase anything in Second Life, or on the Second Life Marketplace, look to see if it is a copyable item, and then should your items be accidentally deleted or not returned to you from a rented parcel of land, you will have a copy of it within your inventory.  This is also useful if you decide at a later date to become a landlord yourself, having the ability to rezz as many copies of a skybox and furniture is super.

There is usually instructions within the packaging of things like houses and skyboxes that need to be rezzed.

Also, please take a look at this very useful video, made by Torley Linden... how to build your own skybox...

On rezzing derezzing builds...many builders package their skyboxes and homes in a easy rez box that is super easy and also include a derez.  But, this is a product packing option and not all builds have them

I do not think there is a way to save your configuration as a backup.   Most landlords are pretty nice people and give tenants plenty of time to pick up and relocate.  The few horror stories are just more fun to talk about....but they are rare.

If your skybox/ house & everything in is copyable, you may be able to hot-link everything & Take a Copy into your inventory.

To hot-link multiple items, right-click on one item, then keep your Edit window open as you hold down [sHIFT] & left click each item you want to hot-link.

This can be a tricky process & may take some practice, but once you learn of to do it, you can take several items into your inventory at one time, keep them all in relation to each other, & have the set of items only count as one item in your inventory.

The last item you click will give it's name to the collection in your inventory. You could put a copy of your whole kitchen or bedroom into your inventory, for instance, but it might be called "Kichen Table" or "Dresser". Once in your inventory, the icon for the collection will look like several boxes stacked together, instead of just one box.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.