chaning username, how it'll be displayed?

novemheim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello, I'm interested in changing my username (I know about the fee + premium), and I choose "resident" last name, would it appear as:

"NEWUSERNAME" (like for the modern new users) or will it display as "NEWUSERNAME Resident"?

Also, I imagine if I chose another last name from their small list, I would assume it would change it to "NEWUSERNAME LASTNAME," is that right?

Thank you for the help.

8 answers to this question

5 hours ago, novemheim said:

hello, I'm interested in changing my username (I know about the fee + premium), and I choose "resident" last name, would it appear as:

"NEWUSERNAME" (like for the modern new users) or will it display as "NEWUSERNAME Resident"?

Also, I imagine if I chose another last name from their small list, I would assume it would change it to "NEWUSERNAME LASTNAME," is that right?

Thank you for the help.

if you choose Resident as a last name then it will display as: "NEWUSERNAME" (like for the modern new users)

and yes if you choose another last name from the list then you are right. It will display as: "NEWUSERNAME LASTNAME"

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think Molly and LittleMe are both wrong on this one, although I haven't tested it.

In the "Buy a New Name" feature, if you buy the actual last name "Resident", it is a surname, and is treated just like the old Firstname Surname user names.  In this case, your "Resident" would always be visible, unless another person has chosen to use Firestorm's Hide Usernames setting.  It is not the same as the auto-Resident that gets added to the new one-name usernames.  If I chose to be Lindal Resident, I believe my name would appear as Lindal Resident.resident, unless people use the "Trim resident from legacy names" feature.

I'm willing to be proven wrong...any Residents out there who can give a definitive answer?

I'm pretty sure that LL said the Resident option is in order to provide for those that do not want a last name inworld.  I'll go dig through my saved posts on this subject.

13 hours ago, novemheim said:

Thank you for the help.

7 hours ago, Mollymews said:

if you choose Resident as a last name then it will display as: "NEWUSERNAME" (like for the modern new users)

and yes if you choose another last name from the list then you are right. It will display as: "NEWUSERNAME LASTNAME"

Actually, depending on the options selected, some Firestorm residents could see "Newusername Resident".  With the highlighted option unselected, they would see the Resident part of the name.

image.png.131a2d97cb1e7705fc39bcdca3c51f49.png

I think Molly and LittleMe are both wrong on this one, although I haven't tested it.

In the "Buy a New Name" feature, if you buy the actual last name "Resident", it is a surname, and is treated just like the old Firstname Surname user names.  In this case, your "Resident" would always be visible, unless another person has chosen to use Firestorm's Hide Usernames setting.  It is not the same as the auto-Resident that gets added to the new one-name usernames.  If I chose to be Lindal Resident, I believe my name would appear as Lindal Resident.resident, unless people use the "Trim resident from legacy names" feature.

I'm willing to be proven wrong...any Residents out there who can give a definitive answer?

Here is the only thing I can find so far that talks about the Resident last name option.  I'm pretty sure it was based on comments at a Town Hall or Meet the Lindens/Oz talk, as I don't typically attend any of the inworld user meetings.  They had to list Resident as an option for those that currently have a last name and didn't want one - even though 'technically' Resident is a last name, whether it shows or not.

While I couldn't find a link to Oz's comment, I did also find this post by @Maitimo.  He selected Resident as a last name so that he could get a single word name.  He should be able to tell us if the Resident part is hidden in the viewer, just like some newbie account that signed up and defaulted to Resident for a last name.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While I couldn't find a link to Oz's comment, I did also find this post by @Maitimo.  He selected Resident as a last name so that he could get a single word name.  He should be able to tell us if the Resident part is hidden in the viewer, just like some newbie account that signed up and defaulted to Resident for a last name.

The way my name works is now identical to the way it works for any new resident signing up for a new account. Resident is hidden wherever it's hidden for everyone else, and visible on old scripted objects that haven't been updated to show display names or usernames instead of legacy names.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.