Adobe Illustrator Experience for Skilled Jobs in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

:) Hi Everyone, how are you?  I would like to know if there are any educational requirements for having drawing skills in Adobe Illustrator at Second Life?  Can I even find a job or activity here that has to do with basic drawing knowledge?  To illustrate,  I'm only a beginner, meaning I've only taken an introduction to multimedia online class at Mt. San Jacinto College, and have now earned badges in Learn from Fiverr Adobe Illustrator classes at Fiverr.com, so I have a quite a good grasp in both conceptual and technical knowledge, however, I'm not an expert or professional.  Next, I ask this question because I saw in Second Life's, "Guide to Jobs in Second Life" under the "Skilled Jobs" section describing:

Skilled Jobs

Skilled jobs are of two types:

• Classical skilled jobs, where you employ one of your real life skills directly towards an activity in Second Life.
  • Freelancers/business owners, where you bring in other skills that don't relate directly to Second Life, but which can be employed successfully to give you a steady income.

Please let me know, thank you for your courtesy and patience.

Javier :)

hi Javier, suggest that you with option 2 to get started: Freelancer/Business owner

use your illustrating skills to make textures which can put for sale to other residents on the Second Life Marketplace

this is the Business owner part - making and selling textures on your own behalf.  Then once people/customers can see a portfolio of your work/products then you can offer to do custom work for people. Which can lead to regular work/partnerships creating textures in conjunction with people who are more into the 3D modelling component of SL product making

is quite a lot of info about textures for SL here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Texture_Tools

:)  Hi Molly, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it; this gives me a better understanding of exactly what I need to do, and makes it easier for me to start working on unique textures.  Also, where do you go to find ingame jobs for using textures?  I now have a basic understanding of the texture tools with the link you provided; do you recommended practicing first before finding a job?  Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JavierCampo said:

I now have a basic understanding of the texture tools with the link you provided; do you recommended practicing first before finding a job?  Thanks

to get started, I recommend creating a portfolio and putting it for sale on the Marketplace in the Building and Object Components \ Textures section

have a look at what other people are doing:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[category_id]=23&search[keywords]=texture&search[maturity]=General&search[page]=1&search[per_page]=12

once you get the hang of making, uploading and listing products on marketplace then look into making BOM texture layers for avatar bodies also

Edited by Mollymews
tpyeo
  • Like 1

:) Thank you again Molly for your insight !, I really appreciate it; this will give me quicker head start, but where do I go to start creating a portfolio?  I tried the help section link in the link you provided, but it only displays information about how to shop.  Do I need to navigate elsewhere on Second Life's site, or do I need to do it somewhere in the Second Life Viewer app that I downloaded?   I assume this is think the main game software for me to start creating my avatar, etc. right?  I only opened it once and showed up a basic avatar with my name and with my profile and navigation tools and links I believe.  Please let me know about this, meanwhile I'll try to figure it out by myself, thanks anyway.

While it is great that you want to create in Second Life -- we can always use more good creators, I think you are getting ahead of yourself. BEFORE you can start a career, you need to understand what Second LIfe is and isn't and how the basics work. 

So I suggest you keep on working with your graphic design skills AS WELL AS learning how to navigate in Second Life. There are some places that will help you with the basics. One long time teaching facility is Caledon Oxbridge.   http://www.caledonoxbridge.org/

Give yourself a month to get the hang of things and by then you will likely be able to see where you skills could fit in. 

Good luck.  Have fun and I hope you enjoy SL. 

PS. So far as a portfolio that would often be online in a website. Put some of your creations up there (watermarked would be smart) so that people can see what you can do. Also watch these forums for folks looking for skilled creators. Keep in mind that most jobs are for people who have been in SL for AT LEAST 30 days.   :D.  

While I haven't really kept up my resume of late (not looking for work) you can see my ancient and not terribly impressive site here:  https://hitmewithyourbestshots.blogspot.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:) Thank you for your recommendations, your experience as an advisor looks genuine, and I found it very useful, I appreciate the time to give me support.  Also, is the Caledon Oxbridge website part of Second Life?  I saw that it mentioned second life.  By the way, your blog has an interesting portfolio, very nice visuals and projects!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.