Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

More like

Star Trek - Destruction Sequence - YouTube

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" -- 47 Years Later

Janet, I have always liked your posts...

I can see where your images could fit SEVERAL things in this tail-end of a thread food fight (it has been like this for days).

IF, however, you are likening me to the flip side of Luna, well... obviously I disagree. And I hope that isn't what you are inferring.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Has Linden Lab forgotten that not all of the residents in Second Life pass their actual lives within the borders of the United States?  The latest blog entry called 'Register to Vote' blithely tells m

Spending some time reading this Topic this morning and it is very clear it has gotten so off topic that I sense it can never return to the original post. So this topic is now reached the end of  it's

What I am confused about is LL went on about "NO POLITICAL ADVERTISEMENTS", then they go on and advertise politics, which is sending mixed messages. I only bring this up because: I checked out th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Gatogateau said:

Janet, I have always liked your posts...

I can see where your images could fit SEVERAL things in this tail-end of a thread food fight (it has been like this for days).

IF, however, you are likening me to the flip side of Luna, well... obviously I disagree. And I hope that isn't what you are inferring.

 

It wasn't about you at all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:
27 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I wish you would expand on this. Who is being told they can ignore our immigration laws?  Not your opinion only, so can you provide some sources? 

Perhaps you don't live in the USA or have never watched any news?

Well I will try to calm down from 'silly mode' and give a sewious reply...lol   Serious Serious Serious.   Ok, ready.

First, I don't think this is a good way to debate -- I ask you to defend your position and you reply with a question, implying that I'm deficient for apparently not watching news?

So once again, what is your position and what do you have to back your assertion up with...the assertion that one group can ignore immigration laws while another cannot..?

 

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well I will try to calm down from 'silly mode' and give a sewious reply...lol   Serious Serious Serious.   Ok, ready.

First, I don't think this is a good way to debate -- I ask you to defend your position and you reply with a question, implying that I'm deficient for apparently not watching news?

So once again, what is your position and what do you have to back your assertion up with...the assertion that one group can ignore immigration laws while another cannot..?

 

can you name any other group of immigrants that are openly allowed to come here and live here illegally, even get hired as government employees in some cases. that privlidge is only afforded to those that immigrate illegally from southern border, and with those of south American nationalities, primarily Hispanic or Latino persons. And before you even try calling me sort of.... I am all for legal immigration, but I am also for equality, but our laws should apply to everyone equally 

Examples: AP: HOUSE DEMS: ALLOW BUSINESS TO HIRE ILLEGALS
Democrats Block Motion to Ban Illegal Aliens from Working
Undocumented immigrants will have official roles at the Democratic National Convention

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

can you name any other group of immigrants that are openly allowed to come here and live here illegally, even get hired as government employees in some cases. that privlidge is only afforded to those that immigrate illegally from southern border, and with those of south American nationalities, primarily Hispanic or Latino persons. And before you even try calling me sort of.... I am all for legal immigration, but I am also for equality, but our laws should apply to everyone equally 

Examples: AP: HOUSE DEMS: ALLOW BUSINESS TO HIRE ILLEGALS
Democrats Block Motion to Ban Illegal Aliens from Working
Undocumented immigrants will have official roles at the Democratic National Convention

There's nothing in the Constitution that says one must be a citizen to live here, work here. It doesn't pull out blades and start cutting society apart into citizens and not-citizens. Everyone who is here is part of this thing, and we are all of equal value under the stars. People who move here seeking work do so for all manner of jobs and industries that demand their labor because in many cases there is no one else to do it without radically altering the costs of goods and services enjoyed by many. These residents pay their local, state, and Federal taxes like the rest of us for any regular job they hold, which is more than it seems the GOP champion standard bearer can claim. Aren't they more deserving of an opportunity to participate in and contribute to this civilization and benefit from their services provided than this sitting president of the United States could credibly justify for themselves?

Given the historically low citizens' approval rating of US Congress and given how long that failed state has endured, and given Congress's exclusive power over naturalization, I think we can say that because Congress has failed, the naturalization system has also failed, and therefore the way things are right now lack legitimacy. The problems we see are dysfunctions naturally resulting from the illegitimacy of its administration.

Interestingly, it wasn't always like this:

Quote

Congress’s power over naturalization is an exclusive power; no state has the independent power to constitute a foreign subject a citizen of the United States.1314 But power to naturalize aliens under federal standards may be, and was early, devolved by Congress upon state courts of record.1315 And though the states may not prescribe requirements for citizenship, they may confer rights, including political rights, to resident aliens. At one time, it was not uncommon for states to confer the right of suffrage upon resident aliens, especially upon those who had declared their intention to become citizens, and several states continued to do so until well into the twentieth century.1316

--Cornell Law School, LII.US.Constitution.Annotated,Article I, Section VIII, Claus IV

 

Edited by Chroma Starlight
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

an you name any other group of immigrants that are openly allowed to come here and live here illegally, even get hired as government employees in some cases. that privlidge is only afforded to those that immigrate illegally from southern border, and with those of south American nationalities, primarily Hispanic or Latino persons. And before you even try calling me sort of.... I am all for legal immigration, but I am also for equality, but our laws should apply to everyone equally 

Examples: AP: HOUSE DEMS: ALLOW BUSINESS TO HIRE ILLEGALS
Democrats Block Motion to Ban Illegal Aliens from Working

Those don't seem to apply specifically to illegal aliens from south of the border, do you have a citation that isn't a stock photo of Mexicans?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

There's nothing in the Constitution that says one must be a citizen to live here, work here. It doesn't pull out blades and start cutting society apart into citizens and not-citizens. Everyone who is here is part of this thing, and we are all of equal value under the stars. People who move here seeking work do so for all manner of jobs and industries that demand their labor because in many cases there is no one else to do it without radically altering the costs of goods and services enjoyed by many. These residents pay their local, state, and Federal taxes like the rest of us for any regular job they hold, which is more than it seems the GOP champion standard bearer can claim. Aren't they more deserving of an opportunity to participate in and contribute to this civilization and benefit from their services provided than this sitting president of the United States could credibly justify for themselves?

I believe the issue he was talking about had more to do with immigrants that were here illegally rather than ones that had come here properly via the Immigration policies in place.

 

The conservatives in the US seem to take a lot of flack for there stance on legal versus illegal immigration.  Other countries had Immigration policies as well. You can sure bet that many of them would not treat a person very favorably if they entered thoe country illegally.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I believe the issue he was talking about had more to do with immigrants that were here illegally rather than ones that had come here properly via the Immigration policies in place.

 

The conservatives in the US seem to take a lot of flack for there stance on legal versus illegal immigration.  Other countries had Immigration policies as well. You can sure bet that many of them would not treat a person very favorably if they entered thoe country illegally.

 

As far as I know (and while Seicher and I make up stuff routinely, neither of us are legal experts on immigration...shocker, right?), all countries have immigration laws/policies. All of them have a legal, and therefore illegal, means of immigration. Just try to be a citizen of Lichtenstein, fwiw... I think you still have to donate a kidney and marry a local sheep to become a citizen after 100 years of residency?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

As far as I know (and while Seicher and I make up stuff routinely, neither of us are legal experts on immigration...shocker, right?), all countries have immigration laws/policies. All of them have a legal, and therefore illegal, means of immigration. Just try to be a citizen of Lichtenstein, fwiw... I think you still have to donate a kidney and marry a local sheep to become a citizen after 100 years of residency?

Correct. 

My understanding is that it is the illegal entry into our country that most conservatives have a problem with and that most liberals do not have a problem with that.  It is the liberals that coined the term "undocumented" to be used instead of "illegal".

 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Correct. 

My understanding is that it is the illegal entry into our country that most conservatives have a problem with and that most liberals do not have a problem with taht.  It is the liberals that coined the term "undocumented" to be used instead of "illegal".

 

You know, usually when they write 'migrant' they are in fact referring to refugees seeking asylum from something, and not itinerant farmers. The target of who to hate shifts, lately from Muslims and the Semitic Peoples of the Middle East now back again to victims of the clandestine CIA wars in Latin America.  'Refugee' was the first thing they tried to erase from the vernacular because it emphasized our human obligation to those people to show them compassion and give them relief when their home becomes unlivable, especially if it's because the hard right in our country have consistently subverted our government to wage endless clandestine war against hispanic and latino America for one-hundred and twenty years and more under a succession of false pretenses ranging from the unstoppable juggernaut threat of late 19th century Spanish hegemony, to socialism, to communism. Anything that isn't US oppression must be oppressed or hit with capitalism-funded guerilla or gang warfare.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...