A summary of key points on EEP viewers

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The current Linden Lab viewer is v6.4.9.549455  That's what is the default download for Windows and Mac, and has the Love Me Render bugfixes to the EEP engine.

Some third-party viewers are emerging with these fixes. You have to check the release notes to be sure, but Kokua and RLV are built to this level, the version numbers can look similar but not identical. Cool VL Viewer is giving me similar results.

You cannot rely on the EEP results from the Firestorm Beta v6.4.5.60799 which uses the pre-bugfix code. The latest code doesn't show the wild differences in materials rendering, but some rather antique options, there for compatibility, look to have been removed.

Several people need to wake up and sell the coffee over the way they use version numbers. I know the last group. the build number, matters a lot to developers, but for most of us it's enough that we have v6.4.9 rather than v6.4.5

• Thanks 1

Yes, now at least Linux users have official third party builds that include the Love Me Render improvements. Of course, Cool VL Viewer had them first, but now Marine Kelley's Restrained Love Viewer and Kokua have been updated. We may see a Firestorm update soon, perhaps before the end of the year? And Singularity may never get EEP. I won't bother to comment on viewers that lack a Linux version.

I hardly ever use the quick materials option when editing prims. I'm sure they were useful to many people. The assets and code exist, so a third party viewer could fit it back in, I suppose. Kokua 6.4.9 still has the quick settings for normals (bump) and shine levels. If that is an important feature for someone, then I'd recommend using Kokua. Another reason I like the RLV based viewers (not to be confused with RLVa) is that they maintain the invisiprim transparency feature in deferred rendering mode. I have a couple of Trudeau boats, and it annoys me to see water inside the hull. 🌊

Edited by KjartanEno
correction
  • Haha 1

I'm assuming the Firestorm devs are waiting to the last minute to release a new official viewer which stinks. The 'beta' EEP version has been out for close to three months. They need to release that official even if there will be another release before the end of the year. As soon as that's released. LL should do something to flat out stop parcel windlight from working. It's turning into another Mesh situation where people won't switch until they know everyone can actually see the changes, and people who haven't changed see no reason to because they can still see parcel windlight (which the EEP viewers can't). Total violation of the policy that all viewers have to present the same graphical experience.

• Haha 1

LL's EEP bug fixes are just out of RC. We are instructed, as are all TPV's to NOT release anything from LL until it is mainstream release and out of RC. Therefor we couldn't release those EEP bug fixes without violating the Third Party Viewer Policy. That said.... we do in fact have those changes merged into a branch and we are in a QA cycle already. We are also 'hoping' to pick up LL's mesh uploader changes/improvements to be included in our upcoming EEP bug fix release.

We have FAR more users than any other viewer in SL, including the LL viewer. This means that if we release something very buggy, it has a much more detrimental impact on the over all user experience in SL. We care tremendously about the user experience. Improving the user experience is our number one objective. We are responsible for what we release. I am responsible for what we release. We work very hard to make sure that everything we release is of the highest standard possible within our ability.

Edited by Jessica Lyon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.