Jump to content

Current List of Annoyances


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course it's a game!  It's a program run on a computer for the purposes of entertainment, the very definition of a computer game!  You don't..... think it's real do you?  You do know those avatars a

In the sense that most gamers think of games, it's not A game.  Of course we don't think it's real, don't be silly but..as quoted: Linden Lab, the company that created the platform that is Second

Add to the list of annoyances: endless "is it a game" debates

Posted Images

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is a game to some and not a game to others. 

Trying to convince folks otherwise is futile.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a word in the English language: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/game

"an entertaining activity or sport, especially one played by children, or the equipment needed for such an activity"

SL certainly fits that bill.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's also absurd to spend your recreation time on something you don't enjoy.

I don't.  I stopped playing it awaiting suggestions in here.  I will then try those out and see if I find them fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Song by British group The Mute Gods  "Don't Feed The Troll."

Why is it when someone can't handle an opinion other than their own, they shout troll?  [Insert cliche about toys and prams and projectiles]

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

11. I'll try that.  So it'll keep my midday choice forever?

12. How did you get the camera to behave like that?  Mine does not move forwards of its own accord.

suggest that you login with the Linden viewer to confirm the answers given

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

suggest that you login with the Linden viewer to confirm the answers given

Doesn't help with 12. How did you get the camera to behave like that?  Mine does not move forwards of its own accord.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Doesn't help with 12. How did you get the camera to behave like that?  Mine does not move forwards of its own accord.

you will need to show what is happening to you, like make a short video. As the camera behaviour described is the default behaviour of the Linden viewer. Walk into a physical wall then rotate your avatar so it is facing away from the wall. The avatar camera will move forward to above the avatars head

without your showing what is happening on your screen when standing against the wall then is difficult to determine why your install of the Linden viewer is behaving differently to the default behaviour

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the games you listed have objectives, scores, incentives and such.  Explain what the objective or goal is in SL.  How does one score points?  How does one win?  

Although entertainment is also an word used for games, it's also used for movies, tv, bird watching, none of which are classified as games.  Your.description of game does not fit the parameters of SL.  Just a fact but call it what you'd like.  As you said, your opinion.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

you will need to show what is happening to you, like make a short video. As the camera behaviour described is the default behaviour of the Linden viewer. Walk into a physical wall then rotate your avatar so it is facing away from the wall. The avatar camera will move forward to above the avatars head

without your showing what is happening on your screen when standing against the wall then is difficult to determine why your install of the Linden viewer is behaving differently to the default behaviour

Depends what view you have.  I like the position the camera a little way behind the avatar, imagine you're following the Avatar about 5 metres behind.

 

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

All the games you listed have objectives, scores, incentives and such.  Explain what the objective or goal is in SL.  How does one score points?  How does one win?  

Although entertainment is also an word used for games, it's also used for movies, tv, bird watching, none of which are classified as games.  Your.description of game does not fit the parameters of SL.  Just a fact but call it what you'd like.  As you said, your opinion.

There doesn't have to be an objective.  There are plenty games, computer and not, which do not have scores or an objective.  It's just fun.  Consider the game of catch.  You don't have to keep score.  You could say catching the ball makes you feel good, but so does creating a house in SL, or interacting with things.  Game is a word in the English dictionary, I'm going by that.  It's not an opinion, but a fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sunnyrio said:

Depends what view you have.  I like the position the camera a little way behind the avatar, imagine you're following the Avatar about 5 metres behind.

 

There doesn't have to be an objective.  There are plenty games, computer and not, which do not have scores or an objective.  It's just fun.  Consider the game of catch.  You don't have to keep score.  You could say catching the ball makes you feel good, but so does creating a house in SL, or interacting with things.  Game is a word in the English dictionary, I'm going by that.  It's not an opinion, but a fact.

I don't consider catch a game but an activity, like knitting or reading.  Creating a house in SL is an activity also.  Greedy is a game you do play inside of SL.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I don't consider catch a game but an activity, like knitting or reading.  Creating a house in SL is an activity also.  Greedy is a game you do play inside of SL.  

Hmmm, a previous poster said a game must have a goal.  Knitting has a goal - completing the garment.  So we can discount goal as a game requirement.

Anyway catch is obviously a game, ask any child.  Clearly one could be better than the other and be declared a winner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Depends what view you have.  I like the position the camera a little way behind the avatar, imagine you're following the Avatar about 5 metres behind

with a custom camera preset then to have the camera move as it does for the default setting then best to file a JIRA asking for this

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Hmmm, a previous poster said a game must have a goal.  Knitting has a goal - completing the garment.  So we can discount goal as a game requirement.

Anyway catch is obviously a game, ask any child.  Clearly one could be better than the other and be declared a winner.

And as I said, you have your opinion and I have mine, which is shared by many people in SL.  Game on, sunnyrio and enjoy. (Or not, it seems)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

with a custom camera preset then to have the camera move as it does for the default setting then best to file a JIRA asking for this

Selecting the third standard camera (behind), walk into a wall, then rotate the camera.  The camera goes the other side of the wall.  Custom isn't the problem.

 

5 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

And as I said, you have your opinion and I have mine, which is shared by many people in SL.  Game on, sunnyrio and enjoy. (Or not, it seems)

I have the the same opinion as the Oxford English dictionary.  You're not arguing about Second Life with me, you're trying to argue against an entire language.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a word in the English language: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/game

"an entertaining activity or sport, especially one played by children, or the equipment needed for such an activity"

 

Reading is "an entertaining activity", but isn't a game.  Doing crossword puzzles or putting together picture puzzles - both entertaining activities, but not games.  

Thus, "entertaining activity" is not enough to define something as a game.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Selecting the third standard camera (behind), walk into a wall, then rotate the camera.  The camera goes the other side of the wall.  Custom isn't the problem.

you will need to show this happening. As is not the default behaviour of the standard Linden viewer

 

edit add. Am pretty sure that you are not using the standard Linden viewer. Probably using a TPV like Firestorm.  In Firestorm there is a setting: "Allow the camera to move without constraints through prims" When this is enabled then will see the behaviour you are describing

Edited by Mollymews
Link to post
Share on other sites

M'kay ...

  1. Like it or not, you're not going to change anyone's opinion regarding classifying Second Life as a Game - give it up and move on, we've had that "debate" many, many times before
  2. It is the Camera Position that determines what is rendered, not the Avatar

You can test that second in the Official Second Life Viewer and in Firestorm (or any other TPV that allows for the following behavior) by bringing up the People floater and double clicking/right clicking and Zooming To a particular Avatar near the edge of your Draw Distance (beyond it if using Firestorm as it allows for this). Lo and behold, the Viewer will start to render things around that Avatar up to your set Draw Distance.

Amazing!

So rendering objects between the Camera and your Avatar as solid objects is the expected behavior.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 10:48 PM, RowanMinx said:

All the games you listed have objectives, scores, incentives and such.  Explain what the objective or goal is in SL.  How does one score points?  How does one win?  

Although entertainment is also an word used for games, it's also used for movies, tv, bird watching, none of which are classified as games.  Your.description of game does not fit the parameters of SL.  Just a fact but call it what you'd like.  As you said, your opinion.

I sometimes say that Second Life is more like a stadium. There are just so many different things that can happen in a stadium, far more than just games. I've been to a corporate AGM that was held in a meeting room which is part of the local soccer stadium. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...