What mesh head should I choose?

GlassEyeDoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on second life for a bit, and I've been using freebie's all this time, and frankly, I'm quite tired of it. I've already singled out for Maitreya for my body, as everything seems to be made for it, but I want to get a head that's not too different from my current one. However, I may just end up with it plopped on the new body. I think LeLUTKA's Ryn might work from some pictures I've seen, but I want to hear any second opinions. Thank's for any help.

~Glass~

Snapshot_003.png

• Like 1

I say you get one lelutka evo heads, maybe the ryn or the fleur.  Even genus baby face is pretty nice and cute. I don't like catwa much but the catwa hd pro heads are pretty nice too.

Also, if you are into freebies, you can try the genus strong face gift.

Edited by shiviex
  • Like 2

What @shiviexsaid about the Genus head. I have not seen any notice of how long the free "Strong" head is going to be free. Take it as soon as you log in.

I have not seen any strong features in the head that makes it unsuitable for an Asian, even if it is named strong. Perhaps the Baby Face is even younger. The image under was taken to show the HUD, so it is months old, but my alt is still using it.

The Lelutka Evo heads are great! So take a demo of them too.

Ilyri_001.jpg

DemoDemoDemo! It'll take a lot of time, but with some fidgeting you can get an idea of the look you want with different heads. Keep in mind that the shape + skin really dictates whether it's what you want or not. All three brands are good imo. I have heads from Catwa(Catya/Lona), Genus(Babyface/Strong), and an older Lelutka(Zoe). Personally I use Genus Babyface the most as it gives such a soft/young look, and it's easy to go plump with it lol. Catwa Lona has a cute shape, but i've found it very easy to end up in weirdsville if the lips aren't done just right.

The newer Lelutkas are something I have not delved in to too much, so I can't give much comment on those. Same with the Catwa HDPro head.

Expect to demo things for a while, and to take a while on deciding what you want. With heads being average $20-$25 USD worth of Linden a pop, it'd suck to get the one you find yourself not quite as happy with. Of course as time goes by, you can get the others you want. Prioritize.

Also, Black Friday is your friend when it comes to heads. Your best friend.

3 minutes ago, RitaCallisto said:

With heads being average $20-$25 USD worth of Linden a pop, it'd suck to get the one you find yourself not quite as happy with. Of course as time goes by, you can get the others you want. Prioritize.

Yeah, it's pricey to begin with.  I use Catwa's Catya currently which offers a wide variety of shapes.  I too will be looking into Evo but I really do like the concept LAQ has of buy the HUD once and then the heads are only 1500 lindens apiece - I think it's a great idea, so I will be getting some LAQ stuff too.

The problem with LAQ, to me, is the DEMOS are lousy to see anything so you must get the DEMO HUD and try it with the DEMO HUD to see how you like it.

If you don't plan on changing heads a lot such as what LAQ offers, then start trying some on.  Your Classic shape WILL NOT work with the mesh heads.  You will need to make a new shape and/or search for Asian Shapes on Marketplace to see if you like any and what head they go with.  

Right now my recommendation is to demo everything from Lelutka EVO and Slink - because those are native BOM and the lowest in lag. If and only if you fail to be able to make the look you want from them, start demoing other brands.

The Catwa 4.x will be lower lag than the new Catwa HDpro's, because the new ones are using high rez textures in more places and have added rather than reduced complexity and scripts, even though they are more BOM supportive. LAQ will be even lower script and complexity though. I can't speak for Genus as I've not gotten past demos.

You're not a neko - as those aren't "actual cat ears". If you were, there are only 2 brands that work: Catwa and Mayreal. Everyone else leaves gaping holes in the sides of your head - this is why with most of these products I've not moved past demo. I tend to stick to a brand, even through my alts - so if it fails for one I just move on, and in this case they all fail for my 'main'.

If you haven't bought that Maitreya Lara body yet, you might want to consider a less expensive alternative which is 99% compatible with Maitreya Lara apparel and footwear, and includes a fully-adjustable Bento mesh head as well as a Bento, Bakes on Mesh body: the Anya mesh body package from Kalhene. More details here on version 3.0 of Anya: https://ryanschultz.com/2020/10/04/version-3-0-of-the-kalhene-anya-and-alexa-bodies-a-great-bakes-on-mesh-bento-head-and-body-package-gets-even-better/

If you are shopping around for heads, I can highly recommend the free Strong Face Bento mesh head from the Genus Project. If you are looking for other heads and want alternatives to L$5,000 (or higher priced) models, here is my compilation of information on free and inexpensive mesh heads (and bodies) for female avatars, which I keep constantly updated:

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/09/24/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-mesh-heads-and-bodies-for-female-second-life-avatars/

Hope this helps in your search! Let us know what you decide on 🙂

If you want to play around with lower-priced mesh heads that were designed specifically for the Korean or Chinese look, I saw these two on Flickr:

Xuxu Tori Mesh Head v2.1 https://www.flickr.com/photos/xixuan/

BITSY: Mimi / MinJee / Vain: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154869656@N08/

They are available on the marketplace for only L$200 and L$800 respectively. Be warned though that these are non-bento heads meaning they are static and do not blink and depending on mouth sliders, seem to be in a permanent state of RBF (Resting ***** Face). I never bought the full versions despite them being cheap but I have seen some girls wearing these heads and they actually look cute but in that lifeless ball-joined doll kinda way. Maybe decent enough for photography, but I still recommend saving up for LeLutka Ryn or Fleur OR just get the GENUS Strong Gift.

21 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

If you want to play around with lower-priced mesh heads that were designed specifically for the Korean or Chinese look, I saw these two on Flickr:

Xuxu Tori Mesh Head v2.1 https://www.flickr.com/photos/xixuan/

BITSY: Mimi / MinJee / Vain: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154869656@N08/

They are available on the marketplace for only L$200 and L$800 respectively. Be warned though that these are non-bento heads meaning they are static and do not blink and depending on mouth sliders, seem to be in a permanent state of RBF (Resting ***** Face). I never bought the full versions despite them being cheap but I have seen some girls wearing these heads and they actually look cute but in that lifeless ball-joined doll kinda way. Maybe decent enough for photography, but I still recommend saving up for LeLutka Ryn or Fleur OR just get the GENUS Strong Gift.

That one store does have bento/ BOM heads too.  This one is only 50L.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Xuxu-Mori-Mesh-Head/18190677

ad1.jpg

Edited by RowanMinx

There's also the free Ciara head by Dream, which is available at the Free Dove. It's very basic, but hey it's free.

If you want to use third-party animations with it, you'll also need to pick up the free gift head from Genus, because the Dream head does not have an inside of the mouth (teeth/tongue etc) and Genus has these as a separate attachment. So you can wear the Dream head with the Genus mouth.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, GlassEyeDoll said:

I've been on second life for a bit, and I've been using freebie's all this time, and frankly, I'm quite tired of it. I've already singled out for Maitreya for my body, as everything seems to be made for it, but I want to get a head that's not too different from my current one. However, I may just end up with it plopped on the new body. I think LeLUTKA's Ryn might work from some pictures I've seen, but I want to hear any second opinions. Thank's for any help.

~Glass~

Snapshot_003.png

Catwa came out with the new hdpro majer soft head and majer edge head, the edge one is more angled and the soft head is more soft.. 😛 So whatever you like, but it's newest and one thing to tell you is it's pretty expensive. It's around 6000Ls. Did you try the free head by Genus, i don't know if it is still out, but it was in the group. Just saying, even though you said you are tired of using free things. Just hope this helps. :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.