Does Prim Puppeteer still work?

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's a quite old script called Prim Puppeteer which records prim positions and rotations, and then play them back

I carefully went through a sequence of movements. The system should have recorded 12 steps, and my chat log suggests it did.

Use the "Dump" command, and only 6 complete steps were dumped to chat.

There are instructions here The last update was 2015 and there are links to the  recorder and animator scripts on that page.

It looks identical to this SL Wiki page 

I know there are a couple of SLRR scripting packages which use the "Puppeteer" name, but I am not sure how compatible they are. I already know that a lot of stuff that works on SLRR tracks will fail on the Bellisaria line. 

Steam locomotives, some are very simple, but there are some visible parts which don't just rotate. They're not like doors on a hinge, and the way that parts in a linkset have their motion defined can get very tricky.

Has something happened in LSL which breaks the scripts I m trying to use?

Just making a wheel rotate about its axis isn't hard. If you're making mesh you have to pay attention to where you put the axis, but it's not so difficult. It's hard to find a steam locomotive which doesn't have parts moving like the ones you see moving in this video and doing that in Second Life seems pretty hard. Am I going to have to build the locomotive to work as animesh?

Edited by arabellajones

16 hours ago, arabellajones said:

Use the "Dump" command, and only 6 complete steps were dumped to chat.

This sounds like limited space for the lists. Are the scripts you tried LSL or Mono? Mono would allow much more data storage. If you can edit the scripts, add a couple of llOwnerSay messages to monitor the accumulated steps and remaining free memory at each stage, similarly monitor the loop when the stored positions are dumped back out.

Although Lucia's recommendation is the most up to date, puppeteering still has a role to play for those of us who get nauseous each time we try to get to grips with Blender's idea of how you should build outside the world.

Nothing, it's up to you when you edit it or drag it from your inventory into an object. You'll find a check box for mono or LSL, usually now it's always mono but I've been surprised once or twice, especially when I've gone through really old stuff from back when I didn't know any better.

10 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

LSL or Mono

8 hours ago, arabellajones said:

Now I am baffled. What is it about a script that decides whether it is LSL or Mono?

The correct terms are LSO and Mono.

• LSL is the scripting language itself.
  • LSO scripts are smaller, using (much) less memory for its data, but scripts are always reserved a full 16KB memory regardless of actual need.
  • Mono scripts are much faster than LSO, uses more memory for its data, but only uses as much memory as it actually needs, up to a maximum of 64KB.

You can switch between the two with this little checkbox, which is checked by default.

5e8a566a67.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

there are some inconsistences in how the descriptors LSL, LSO and Mono are treated/used. The wiki/kb in some places references LSO and Mono. The Linden viewer references LSL and Mono. For example, menu: Build \ Scripts \ Recompile Scripts (Mono) and Recompile Scripts (LSL)

the simplest would be to change the (LSL) menu to Recompile Scripts (LSO)

another thought could be to change Mono to LSM. So LSM means re/compile 64k Mono bytecode and LSO means re/compile 16k Object bytecode. LSL meaning the language. This might be a step to far tho given the time that has passed

22 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

another thought could be to change Mono to LSM. So LSM means re/compile 64k Mono bytecode and LSO means re/compile 16k Object bytecode. LSL meaning the language. This might be a step to far tho given the time that has passed

I would object to renaming Mono to LSM because "LSO" seems to be the actual name of the specific implementation non-Mono scripts use. If it stands for something, it's never mentioned anywhere across the Wiki that I can find. (And since openmetaverse's domain has expired and is now being used for an adult website, going there is a deadend.) LSM(ono) seems pretty arbitrary since Mono is the name of the other implementation.

It's pretty weird how the viewer menu has stayed mislabeled for so long, though. I wonder if @Whirly Fizzle has any insight?

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.