Cannot log in from home without a VPN.

Question

Can't log in from my home computer. I can't narrow down the issue.  As late as October 1 in the early morning I was able to log in but now I can't

When I try to connect with the client it starts with  "Verifying cache files (can take 30-60 seconds)" for about 20 seconds and then "Login failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong" if i try to connect again without restarting the program I instantly get the login failed message, it doesn't even seem to try to connect.

I did a clean install of firestorm, manually deleted my cache folders and temp folder contents, reset my windows firewall, still can't log in.

I checked my email to see if my account is suspended, yes, even my spam folders, and nothing. 

I have restarted my modem with a factory reset, same with my router, bought a new network adapter (I needed to replace the old one anyways) and that didn't work so I thought for some reason my IP became banned

I can log into to the account webpage, marketplace, etc, I can connect with my phone from my home network, and I can connect on my computer when my VPN is on, but I don't always want to use my VPN just to go on SL. 

If it's an IP ban how am I able to connect with my phone client on the same network my PC is on? 

If it's an issue with my PC setup how am I able to connect with my VPN on? 

4 answers to this question

It does sound like it might be an IP ban.  But SL has been having some problems the last few days, so it might not be you at all.  I suggest you submit a support case describing the problem.

1 hour ago, Larkast said:

I would also suggest spoofing your MAC address

i wouldn't suggest that untill áfter the support ticket is handled without result. LL won't be able to offer help when you use side tracks to enter.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:31 PM, Larkast said:

I would also suggest spoofing your MAC address, I know that sounds wierd because you have a new network card so the MAC address would be different, but its worth a try

if it's a cable modem, most mso's say not to clone them now.  if I clone mine, I get a call and my modem is knocked off line.