VIEWER IN WINDOWS SAFE MODE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Could anyone of you tell me if there is a way to launch the viewers in the safe mode of Windows?

The reason is I am using that mode because I am afraid of taking the pc to fix it cause of the covid thing, so  I try to avoid RL interaction as much as possible :(

Hope you understand me and thanks for your help in advance :-)

Kind regards

thank you for your responses; yes i know there are a lot of things disabled in safe mode but I just had the hope to get it running with some trick someone could be aware of... In fact, I managed for example to get the sound running again, but I suppose the viewer involves more complex drivers to work properly

I have windows 7 in my laptop and I've already tried all kind of restore steps with no success at all :( so I guess I am going to go through a forced SL vacation for the moment...

5 hours ago, subgay said:

thank you for your responses; yes i know there are a lot of things disabled in safe mode but I just had the hope to get it running with some trick someone could be aware of... In fact, I managed for example to get the sound running again, but I suppose the viewer involves more complex drivers to work properly

I have windows 7 in my laptop and I've already tried all kind of restore steps with no success at all :( so I guess I am going to go through a forced SL vacation for the moment...

is updating your system to windows 10 not an option? it's really easy, just google it (sorry but I don't want to post links for obvious reasons), or just get something like cc cleaner, and a free antivirus such as avast to clear up any problems,

13 hours ago, subgay said:

Could anyone of you tell me if there is a way to launch the viewers in the safe mode of Windows?

The simple question is that no, you can't. 

Now, what is the problem with your PC? Why is it running in safe mode? What errors do you get when you just start Windows? Are there noises, smells, smoke? What?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2020 at 1:05 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

The simple question is that no, you can't. 

Now, what is the problem with your PC? Why is it running in safe mode? What errors do you get when you just start Windows? Are there noises, smells, smoke? What?

I am using the safe mode just to be able to use my pc and surf the net. The pc seems to have many problems that prevent it from starting correctly (seems to me that all the failures started since I was unable to upgrade windows update anymore (I have windows 7); I am not having it fixed cause I'm afraid of interacting too much due to the covid situation.

The curious thing is that I am able to run SL in the web version (third party company) but I can only see avatars in stick fashion and is extremely laggy...

I already contacted the lindn support and they said they are not supporting windows 7 anymore... :(error.PNG.275a72bbdb79f77fa0f38793350ad59b.PNG

16 minutes ago, subgay said:

I am using the safe mode just to be able to use my pc and surf the net. The pc seems to have many problems that prevent it from starting correctly (seems to me that all the failures started since I was unable to upgrade windows update anymore (I have windows 7); I am not having it fixed cause I'm afraid of interacting too much due to the covid situation.

The curious thing is that I am able to run SL in the web version (third party company) but I can only see avatars in stick fashion and is extremely laggy...

I already contacted the lindn support and they said they are not supporting windows 7 anymore... :(error.PNG.275a72bbdb79f77fa0f38793350ad59b.PNG

Safe mode in Windows is really only for troubleshooting , it's not meant to run your pc programs or games 'normally'. You could try repairing your Widows 7 install or fresh installing-which will work if you have the product key. As was suggested earlier, you can update to Windows 10 with your 7 key, but be warned once you activate Win10 with your 7 key, it will no longer work to activate a Windows 7 install as far as I know.

Could you list some system specs? Go to Help>about in the viewer and scroll down , begin copying the line at CPU all the way down to Graphics card and post if you can.

43 minutes ago, subgay said:

The pc seems to have many problems that prevent it from starting correctly (seems to me that all the failures started since I was unable to upgrade windows update anymore (I have windows 7); I am not having it fixed cause I'm afraid of interacting too much due to the covid situation.

Then you need to do it yourself. Not just to get it working properly, but because the next thing your computer is going to do is stop working entirely. The first thing you need to do is back up all your important stuff to a USB drive. Without knowing why your computer is going into safe mode, it's tough to say what to do to fix it. The easy way is probably to boot into your computer's recovery partition and restore it to factory settings. Then upgrade it to Windows 10. If your computer can run 7, it can probably run 10 and you really shouldn't be on 7 anymore. 

1 hour ago, Gage Wirefly said:

You could try repairing your Widows 7 install or fresh installing-which will work if you have the product key. As was suggested earlier, you can update to Windows 10 with your 7 key, but be warned once you activate Win10 with your 7 key, it will no longer work to activate a Windows 7 install as far as I know.

I have installed Windows 7 Pro and Home Premium to machines whose Windows 7 keys were used to upgrade them to Windows 10.  The Windows 7 installs on them activated properly.  The step back was taken because hardware vendors stopped updating support for the hardware as Windows 10 evolved, resulting in non-functional components.  In all cases the computer hardware was in excess of 10 years old.  Seeing this limitation imposed upon them by the hardware vendors resulted in all owners abandoning the hardware and the vendors.

One alternative is to first make sure your valuable files are safe. Then install Linux.
Don't worry, Linux is not nearly as hard as people think it is. Not even if you have little technical knowledge.

For a starter, I would suggest Kubuntu because it is well-supported but also the interface has a Windows-like feel (it can even be made to look like Win7)

3 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

One alternative is to first make sure your valuable files are safe. Then install Linux.
Don't worry, Linux is not nearly as hard as people think it is. Not even if you have little technical knowledge.

For a starter, I would suggest Kubuntu because it is well-supported but also the interface has a Windows-like feel (it can even be made to look like Win7)

Kubuntu is great I agree, its virtually no hassle. However it does come packed with far too many options by default for a novice IMO. I would recommend Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu Cinnamon . Cinnamon has matured and it's the closest thing to a Windows desktop environment you can get, and it's super easy to configure and use.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.