How do I share videos that doesn't show as a link?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi please help me. There is no link on this forum page of how to use the forums. Like, what codes to use to share media like videos. I don't see a way to access the advanced editor to put in the embed code, for it to appear in the main post window, so I can publish my post. First I did just the link to the video and it only showed the link. This is very frustrating! I even inspected a post above me but it doesn't show me how their embed code made it appear as a video. 

Why doesn't LL have a section explaining how to do this, like any forum naturally would?

I searched so many keywords in google and nothing came up. 

Searching in the forum gave me zero results. that search feature doesn't work.

I always have to change my keywords around, remove a lot of words. Most of the time, I don't get what i am looking for! 😠

Like any modern bulletin board software it uses WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editors like ckeditor. "BB code" is long since gone, where forum owners can decide what is or isn't auto embedded for security reasons. If it doesn't auto embed, it's not supposed too.

There is no other editor.

PS - The search works fine.

Edited by Zack Massiel
Added a PS

7 minutes ago, Zack Massiel said:

Like any modern bulletin board software it uses WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editors like ckeditor. "BB code" is long since gone, where forum owners can decide what is or isn't auto embedded for security reasons. If it doesn't auto embed, it's not supposed too.

There is no other editor.

PS - The search works fine.

Why did you reply to my thread? you didn't give me any help on how to do it. You only gave me useless information of what was done in the past. 

The search function barely works. I've tried it countless times and I give up on it. 

Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for all of us.

If you're going to reply back on my thread, then tell me how to share videos correctly, thanks.

Copy the URL from the top of the video. 

Paste into the post:   image.png.e40f7faed1bedeb078c6b7b3c106b7bc.png

Hit enter and the video should appear.   There is a CHOICE below that asks you if you want the link to stay a link.  

I have no idea why this isn't working for you unless it is your browser or some settings.  If you are following these steps you might try another browser.  It definitely works fine in Chrome and Brave.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Hit enter and the video should appear.   There is a CHOICE below that asks you if you want the link to stay a link.  

I have no idea why this isn't working for you unless it is your browser or some settings.  If you are following these steps you might try another browser.  It definitely works fine in Chrome and Brave.

That's how I've always done it. I'm on my kindle fire.

Edited by RowanMinx

6 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

That's how I've always done it.

Thank you both. I really appreciate your actual help, unlike the guy who replied to me.

I went to another post and looked at the buttons again. I had copied the url from share on youtube. I clicked the paste clipboard. It said this message on a little blue pop uo window in the editor, "Press Ctrl+V to paste. Your browser doesn‘t support pasting with the toolbar button or context menu option."

So I clicked inside the editor and did the command. It worked! The video appeared. It asked me if I wanted it as a regular link. nope! lol

I use Microsoft Edge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bree Giffen said:

There's also the table method. You can create a table within your post and paste your youtube video(s) inside the cell(s). This lets you resize the video or  post several videos in an orderly fashion.

What is a table in the editor? I can only do it via the command, my comment about that is above yours.

2 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

There's also the table method. You can create a table within your post and paste your youtube video(s) inside the cell(s). This lets you resize the video or  post several videos in an orderly fashion.

Oh nevermind. I was putting my links inside these rectangles and there was a little cross to resize. but it only showed up as a link. So I found out how, which is in this thread.

1 minute ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Oh nevermind. I was putting my links inside these rectangles and there was a little cross to resize. but it only showed up as a link. So I found out how, which is in this thread.

Glad you got it working, Kytteh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the moment you hit "submit" it's released into the wild.

People shouldn't go into a thread and not give help when the op is asking for help. sharing info that doesn't help, isn't helpful and is more frustrating for the op. you're supposed to stay on topic in threads and altho he added some info to things i said, primary topic of this thread is to help me and tell me how to embed videos in the editor. He was not knowledgeable that it can be done here so he gave me misinformation that it can't be done. I'm not here to argue with you so don't please.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

Glad you got it working, Kytteh.

Thank you very much! :)

Edge is very different from other browsers. Other websites don't work well with it. I do forget that info until I discuss it with someone mentioning another browser and how it works for them. then i remember how Edge is.

1 hour ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Why did you reply to my thread? you didn't give me any help on how to do it. You only gave me useless information of what was done in the past. 

The search function barely works. I've tried it countless times and I give up on it. 

Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for all of us.

If you're going to reply back on my thread, then tell me how to share videos correctly, thanks.

1 hour ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

You obviously don't know that it can embed. I want to participate in a thread, and people's youtube video shares are showing up with the youtube video player.

So how is it done?

Oh boy this is fun!

I know exactly how this software works, I've used IPB since it was in the 1x branch. Along with vbulletin, mybb, phpbb and countless others. I've been utilizing forums when they were cgi based using text files. Trust me, I know EXACTLY how this forum and how forums work. I obviously know EXACTLY how it can embed, what it can't embed, what options admins have etc. I FIGURED you knew to hit ctrl v and paste the link. I've done it THOUSANDS of times before on this site, on my site, on 80+ other sites that have used the same editor with the same permissions in the past, so please don't even think you know what I do or do not know kthx. :)  You came on here ranting about the search engine, how this site sucks (basically) how it doesn't give you step by step instructions to copy and paste into the text editor, knocking bbcode which is way outdated (by about 5+ years at this point) and doesn't exist in most modern forum packages, 

I ASSUMED you already tried to copy and paste a youtube link. I FIGURED that is the first thing ALMOST ANYONE would try doing in the main text editor window which works on all modern browsers. Because literally, that's all you have to do and it does the job.

But I was wrong, so I guess that's my bad for assuming the obvious huh?

Edited by Zack Massiel
damn fat fingered vbulletin's name >.>
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I want to participate in a thread, and people's youtube video shares are showing up with the youtube video player.

So how is it done?

On each video just below is a share option it gives various social media options and embed code by default it give you a short URL like https://youtu.be/IcH_INj74s8 click copy paste here and by default it will embed as a video. Spotify links will also embed on here but you need to use the desktop app which unfortunately blue screen's me every time i open it, web player links don't work

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.