Sailing vs. Boating

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I was very interested in acquiring/purchasing a boat/ship/sailing vessel. I began doing some research and have found that there is an active community of sailors, much discussion about SL wind and some talk of off sim and rezzing issues.

I have many questions.

What I would like to do is be able to travel the waters of SL for fun, I would also like to be able to enjoy the virtual sailing aspect of it, but I don't want to make a large investment only to find out I have gone about it the wrong way.

I believe I just want to be a casual SL ocean goer at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts or suggestions on this.

Thanks.

Get yourself a copy of the Shelly Fizz or the bwind. Both are sailboats, easy to use, free, and a lot of fun. You can get a copy of the Shelly Fizz at ANWR. Catch the ferry in Purple by the GSLR station, and depart the ferry at ANWR and go up to the top to get a copy of the Shelly Fizz. I sent you a copy through the markeplace of a sailboat I made using the bwind engine. 

For a good area to sail, head out to the Barbarossa Info Hub. Just search for infohub and look for ferry terminal. It will show up near the top of the search results. One of the docks on the island is a rezz zone. Rezz your boat there and sail around the islands.

A word of warning. Fix your viewer in advance so that you do not get the region change different simulator version popup. You will be changing regions a lot. I recommend using the Phoenix viewer.

Sailing is pretty fun in SL. My main complaint is that the scenerey does not change a lot over the water, the way it does with travel by rail or road. 

Heya Charolotte,

I prefer the sailboats built by Balduin Aabye Yacht Design, they cost 2300 l$ but offer a lot of sailing fun for starters and pro's, advantage is that you don't need to use the sl wind if you don't want too, instead you can manage the windsettings by typing the speed and the wind direction in chat.

A nice place to rezz boats is Ahab's Haunt this is a free to use Lindenlabs sim with a rezzing dock and hundreds of ocean sims around it, really nice though.

enjoy your first steps in the world of sailing :smileyvery-happy: *meows*

WILDCATSAILING.jpg

WILDCATSAILING2.jpg

Also from Balduin, same price, the"Bolero" a very nice yacht.

boat.jpg

And yes, this pic is untouched, taken on the Blake Sea :)

Also very nice free boat is the mentioned "Flying Fizz 3", though im also partial to Manul Rotaros "Sailjak 1.0"

For finding a great community, search the sim "Dex", home of the Tradewinds Yacht Club" -  You can get the Fizz and also Balduins boats there besides.

The most detailed boats (though not easiest to sail) to date tend to come from Jaqueline Trudeau - "Trudeaus Classic Yachts" - check her shop inworld. Her cheapest boat the "Leetle Cat II" weights in at 1500L i think, but very well worth the investment, as it has details like luffing sails, seat positions to affect balance, etc. 

EDIT: A nice vid taken from the ONE World Regatta in Spring 2011:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Hello. I was very interested in acquiring/purchasing a boat/ship/sailing vessel. I began doing some research and have found that there is an active community of sailors,

You have no idea!

There is some great advice in the thread that should help you get started. There are tons of areas to sail in though the Blake Sea is a great place to get started and to meet others.

My first boat was Elyd 50, one of the first boats to actually sail in SL, and from then on I was addicted. It has maybe the most complete HUD.

Elyd 50.jpg

Than I bought this one, SWB Redwing. A cute little boat but somewhat hard to drive as it uses SL wind.

SWB.jpg

Next one was the BWind BBK, my first that uses BWind.

BBK.jpg

After this, I tried Flying Fizz. Wow, hard to read its HUD, but has the better animations.

Flying Fizz.jpg

All above are free and can be found in Marketplace.

And finally, my first paid boat, Bolero.

Bolero.jpg 

Well, whilst we are on it.  (All Photos Unedited)

ACA33 - America Cup Racer - a bit more expensive (3K i think it was),  but very smooth Sim border changes, a nice "big Boat"

ACA 33.jpg

Mentioned Bolero from Balduin Aabye Yacht Designs, (2300L i think)

Bolero.jpg

Manul Rotaros "Sailjak 1.0" Free Boat

Sailjak.jpg

Q-2M from Quest Marine, 1K Linden, A very nice agile boat.

Q2-M.jpg

My customized Trudeau "Leetle Cat 2" - The "Lil`Tigress"  (1500L i think..).

Trudeal Leetle Cat 2.jpg

Jaylin Wytchwood wrote:

Well, whilst we are on it.  (All Photos Unedited)

ACA33 - America Cup Racer - a bit more expensive (3K i think it was),  but very smooth Sim border changes, a nice "big Boat"

ACA 33.jpg

Mentioned Bolero from Balduin Aabye Yacht Designs, (2300L i think)

Bolero.jpg

Manul Rotaros "Sailjak 1.0" Free Boat

Sailjak.jpg

Q-2M from Quest Marine, 1K Linden, A very nice agile boat.

Q2-M.jpg

My customized Trudeau "Leetle Cat 2" - The "Lil`Tigress"  (1500L i think..).

Trudeal Leetle Cat 2.jpg

Beautifully gorgeous pictures, am loving the lighthouses and water. That first one, masterpiece.

Hi!

The info above is great;

but let me also add the Sailing Resource Centers

Recently a group of sailors got together to help spread info about sailing in Second Life; there are currently three centers in Sansara where you can get much information about sailing, free boats and demos, and lots of landmarks.

Here's a link to an article with all the details and locations of the free Resource spots; it also includes a long list of 'cruising outposts' where you can launch your boat, or join up with a casual cruise fleet that sets sail multiple times each week. You don't even need a boat for that; just hop aboard and crew for any of the skippers!

http://metaversesailing.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/outreach-and-outposts/:-)

three-pines.png

epi-sailing-center.png

Those look like really nice places, well worth a visit even if you don't plan on sailing. I'm going to have to check these places out, and perhaps get my motorboat out for a leisurely trip along the Sansara coast.

Joining up as crew for some skipper sounds like a lot of fun, though. Are these trips scheduled or is it more of a random affair? If scheduled; are the schedules posted somewhere?

- Luc -

• 2 weeks later...

Returning just to announce that I moved from my old plot in mainland to a new one in the shore. As I used to do this, rezz is allowed to anyone, with 10 min auto return, so if you want, it is free to rezz your boats and navigate there. There is a big Linden ocean around to have fun.

Lugar Nenhum.jpg

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Phearsom/25/7/21

The phantom prims are there to show the plot limits, where you can rezz the boats, and I will probably change deck and house soon, this was made today, in half an hour just to put my new place ready to be used (even because I'm seeing now that my deck is intruding the Linden Ocean:matte-motes-sick:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.