SECOND LIFE COMMUNITY WITH A FACEBOOK FACE TO US.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Bellatezzudea said:
35 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

To be honest, you haven't really explained your idea in any sufficient detail and now you randomly quote yourself.

In January of this year, Linden Lab purchased Avatars United as part of our social strategy and a larger ambition to integrate powerful social networking capabilities into the Second Life experience -- to make it even faster, easier, and more fun to find friends, build vibrant communities, and share the richness of Second Life with fellow Residents inworld and friends outside of Second Life. We purchased Avatars United for its underlying social technology -- the ability to create social networks, communities and groups.

In order to focus our resources on integrating that technology to Second Life, and to minimize the confusion between the Second Life and Avatars United brands, we will be taking down Avatars United, on September 29th, 2010. We will roll out new Resident Profiles in the coming months -- including the option to share more about your inworld identity and infused with social networking functionality -- all under the Second Life banner. The most “back to basics” building blocks of Second Life -- the heart of what makes Second Life so special -- is you, and we’re committed to using the Avatars United technology to help you build richer communities and create stronger, more dynamic relationships with each other.

If you have a profile on Avatars United, then we encourage you to use this week to save any pieces of content (such as pictures, friend’s names, etc.) that you want to keep. AU members will shortly receive an email version of this post that will also update them directly on their AU Coin refund, for those that have an account balance.

We would like to thank all members of Avatars United for participating in our community, and being part of the Second Life family. And, we hope we will see you again, in Second Life!

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

So...what of that are her own words? I don't see them.

You have to click the 'Expand'.  The latest forum changes compress the quotes down.

image.png.7c89c267152fac93518523095f378342.png

Assuming I'm understanding your question is about only seeing your own words in what I quoted.

I quoted both to fully indicate that I couldn't figure out how what she said answered your comments to her.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

What to do to get the newcomers up and running ...to live that life Carmen has in SL.

Exactly. I've been saying that for a while, phrased as "look like Strawberry Linden's blog". I've said that each new user should leave orientation with a good mesh avatar and one good outfit.

It's a strength of SL  that you and your stuff can look really good. Far better than any other virtual world. It's a problem that putting it all together is almost as hard as it is in real life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, animats said:

"look like Strawberry Linden's blog". I've said that each new user should leave orientation with a good mesh avatar and one good outfit.

i partly disagree .. Strawberry Sing's blog isn't for new players, they don't jump in at the start or middle of the process, but at the end of it. It's a trick without learning the real ropes. New players are most of the generations; i want it and i want it now.
SL is far gone from the point to change the whole entry to something low leveled as Tetris, as some seem to want.
It's no instant pudding, it's cooking from scratch.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, animats said:

Exactly. I've been saying that for a while, phrased as "look like Strawberry Linden's blog". I've said that each new user should leave orientation with a good mesh avatar and one good outfit.

It's a strength of SL  that you and your stuff can look really good. Far better than any other virtual world. It's a problem that putting it all together is almost as hard as it is in real life.

It's not hard to put it all together. The hard part is finding the right things to coordinate.

10 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i partly disagree .. Strawberry Sing's blog isn't for new players, they don't jump in at the start or middle of the process, but at the end of it. It's a trick without learning the real ropes. New players are most of the generations; i want it and i want it now.
SL is far gone from the point to change the whole entry to something low leveled as Tetris, as some seem to want.
It's no instant pudding, it's cooking from scratch.

Nothing tastes better than home cooked/baked from scratch. 😉

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, animats said:

The actual problem in my view is sure, you can give them a nice avatar and one nice outfit but then they want more.  They don't realize that most people who look amazing and have that huge SL home have spent a great deal of RL money here.  They want it NOW.  Then you'll see them hit the inworld employment section with hopes of some high paying job even though they have no marketable skills.  SL is not like a video game where you rack up experience points to upgrade anything.  You either have to do some work to find quality freebies or...spend RL cash.  

It is kind of an entitled mentality.  And youtube videos showing one woman and her lavish mansion are deceiving.  You want that mansion?  Plan on spending $20 or more.  That fabulous wardrobe and accessories that everyone else has?  $100.  

You can spend all day tell, showing someone how everything works but if they then don't take the time and effort and possibly money it takes to improve, they won't bother staying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

you can give them a nice avatar and one nice outfit but then they want more.  They don't realize that most people who look amazing and have that huge SL home have spent a great deal of RL money here.  They want it NOW. 

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

You want that mansion?  Plan on spending $20 or more.  That fabulous wardrobe and accessories that everyone else has?  $100.  

Arguably, that's a feature. Look at Fortnite. Free to play, and all you can get by spending money is a better look. Fortnite gross income for 2020 should be about US$5 billion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, animats said:

Arguably, that's a feature. Look at Fortnite. Free to play, and all you can get by spending money is a better look. Fortnite gross income for 2020 should be about US$5 billion.

But we're not fortnite nor do we want to be IMO.  Well, at least I don't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Best thing we could do is shoot FB and bury it out back.

I'm hoping that Facebook's new VR world, Horizon, will introduce many more to virtual worlds, and a few will end up here in SL where the appeal of greater customization will appeal to them.

* They have a huge audience to market to, and their excellent headset is selling out for only 299 now, so it very well could be we'll be getting a huge number of people interested in virtual worlds soon.   

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

But we're not fortnite nor do we want to be IMO.  Well, at least I don't.

No one is here for fortnite, that was not the point.  The point is, that free to play games with content that cost money is not a new concept.  It is widely understood.  That is not really such an issue.  

Most of us know the issue... retention.  Attracting new people here is one thing, keeping them here is another.  Social Media is like second nature to most people these days, seems like a natural place to throw some creative thinking at.  And maybe not FB, something new, something old....etc.

Meh....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.