SECOND LIFE COMMUNITY WITH A FACEBOOK FACE TO US.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can notice things others don't! 

While the forums themselves are fine as they are, the forum profiles - the ones that come up when you click on a poster's name - could be developed so that people could post on them or create a photo album. At the moment it just includes one's posting history and an 'about me' section that nobody else can see. The forum profiles pages even look like they were designed to do more than they actually do.

I could get behind this idea!  🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can notice things others don't! 

While the forums themselves are fine as they are, the forum profiles - the ones that come up when you click on a poster's name - could be developed so that people could post on them or create a photo album. At the moment it just includes one's posting history and an 'about me' section that nobody else can see. The forum profiles pages even look like they were designed to do more than they actually do.

That would be good, if you are talking, the user of the profile being able to post on them..

If you mean other users being able to post on them.. That wouldn't be good..

On 10/1/2020 at 5:25 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't entirely disagree. I don't think SL is ever again going to be the hot commodity that it briefly was, ca. 2008 or so. And I certainly agree that trying to attract young gamers to SL is a dead-end. This isn't, has never been, and never can be the sort of thing they're going to like.

Generally, I don't think we're ever going to really appeal to a younger demographic here.

BUT . . . taking advantage of some of the seriously cool things that some more up-to-date social media platforms feature would really improve the experience here, and would, I think, help with both recruitment and retention. We're never going to get swarms of 20-somethings here, on the assumption that it's the next Fortnite. But we can make it more attractive, and keep more people who are looking for what SL does offer, but are put off by the clunky and out-of-step technology that we're now mostly stuck with.

Never is a strong assertion.

Young adults and minors are in sl. Predominantly in the furry, feral animal, MLP, and fictional roleplay communities.

The ones I met aren't interested in the middle aged version of a typical sl. But they are here. They find uses for the application.

My only solid friend group made years ago was 19-25. Verified because we became rl friends, met in person, and continue to keep in touch to this day.

However winning over a huge percentage of younger millennials and older gen z is unlikely.

They tend to see sl as a boring, laggy game for housewife karens to live out fake slex lives.

Of course there's more to sl, but the aforementioned reputation is unappealing to people of all ages. Hence the smaller amount of sl users in general.

Nonetheless.

Forumers can continue to assert that young people have no interest here, but a specific population of them will continue to exist in sl anyway. (not directed toward you specifically, simply an assumption that's been repeated a lot on the forum)

It is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That would be good, if you are talking, the user of the profile being able to post on them..

If you mean other users being able to post on them.. That wouldn't be good..

There could be options for others to post comments or 'like' photos. 

21 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

There could be options for others to post comments or 'like' photos. 

Maybe like an opt in option for the user of the profile.. Because leaving it up to the visitor of the profile will just open profiles to abuse.

Really all they would need to do is update the online profiles and just leave the forum ones alone.. hehehe

• Like 1

Facebook like Google should be broken up, lose the sweet provisions that allow them to pretend they are a neutral platform when they act instead as an iron fisted publisher.

The mere suggestion of linden lab becoming a parasitic host to Facebook is akin to introducing your best friend to a crack dealer while whispering in her ear it's OK to only try it on the weekend! ....after all what could go wrong?

notify.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pomeline Pancake said:

Never is a strong assertion.

Young adults and minors are in sl. Predominantly in the furry, feral animal, MLP, and fictional roleplay communities.

The ones I met aren't interested in the middle aged version of a typical sl. But they are here. They find uses for the application.

My only solid friend group made years ago was 19-25. Verified because we became rl friends, met in person, and continue to keep in touch to this day.

However winning over a huge percentage of younger millennials and older gen z is unlikely.

They tend to see sl as a boring, laggy game for housewife karens to live out fake slex lives.

Of course there's more to sl, but the aforementioned reputation is unappealing to people of all ages. Hence the smaller amount of sl users in general.

Nonetheless.

Forumers can continue to assert that young people have no interest here, but a specific population of them will continue to exist in sl anyway. (not directed toward you specifically, simply an assumption that's been repeated a lot on the forum)

It is what it is.

Fair comment.

There certainly ARE younger residents -- and thank you for your insights into what they are doing! I wasn't really suggesting that there weren't, or that they should be ignored, but rather that they are not the core demographic here. To some degree, it's about economy of effort and return of investment: unless you think you can really attract a large number of those under, say, 25, then the work and money put into making the platform more attractive for them is wasted. Better to consider changes and improvements that have more realistic goals, or that will benefit a much broader audience.

SL's strength, or one of them, is that it can be many different things to many different people. There are so many different communities of interest here, and they overlap often, but some just don't connect at all. There are vast areas in SL that, despite being reasonably adventurous and around for a long time, I've just never experienced.

LL would be smart to try to maintain the diversity of those possible experiences, and not privilege one over the other. What you'll find many people here concerned about (and actually, I'm not one of them) is that they'll decide that "young people," or "gamers," or whatever, are a new target, and start to change the platform in ways that alienate older users. I don't think that need happen, although I was certainly concerned myself back in 2010 when it seemed as though Mark Kingdon was moving SL towards a more "Facebook" sort of approach, largely because connecting identity here too strongly with RL really would kill the potential of this place for a vast number of people.

But I do think that they can, intelligently, provide more and better affordances for a younger demographic that expects Instagram-like capabilities, without making SL less hospitable for older users.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SL needs to not be a total turn-off to a gamer. Or for new users. The onboarding process is still weak. In some ways, it's become worse, because most of the new user places are no longer staffed most of the time.

newdefaultuser.thumb.jpg.4424a17f99a9c808a5f3baed69f7f2b8.jpg

New user. 0 days. Starter 70s Disco Guy outfit. Fortunately he managed to make it to Firestorm Help Island and found the correct tutorial. Many never get that far.

A slow, steady decline in the number of users is just not good enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Carmen King is making Second Life Videos right now. She has over 900,000 followers in the 18-24 demographic. Most of her followers, I believe, are Sims, Imvu and Grand Theft Auto players. I am assuming the op is one of her followers.

Social content will be important and appealing to the people from Imvu and young people in general. Maybe they can come up with something on the new mobile app that can evolve with trends that is attractive to the younger demographic.

There’s an opportunity here. She has a huge following and I AM seeing them in world. Her video about buying a mansion had over 59,000 views from 4 days ago. The biggest problem I’m seeing is getting their avatars sorted out and looking “kyoot“. I checked comments from the video and almost immediately found a comment from someone who quit after two days because the couldn’t figure out the body. Maybe @Strawberry Lindencould collaborate with her on a detailed Bom/Mesh video? I can see that SL could be attractive to the Imvu and Sims players.

Two ways to attract the younger crowd might be:

1. Have a dedicated Second Life Tik Tok channel.

2. Have a You Tube collaboration channel where once every four months or so they collaborate with a You Tuber that has a good number of followers. (This would have the potential to create a constant stream of new users, when interest dies down from one channel you get a stream from another. Each video could have a link to a detailed video on getting started. (Sorting mesh, bom and wearing clothes) The video tutorial itself could have links to vids on what to do once you are in world, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:03 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

The forum is fine how it is,  the forum works for people like myself and others,  we're old.  we're cranky and we dont like changes  (I'm not that old, I'm being silly)

I know this isn't Facebook.
I just wanted to be able to easily upload my photos and show off my editing work.

On 10/1/2020 at 2:03 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm confused on what you are really asking for.  I have no problems with forum interaction or sharing of my Flickr photos - and I do not have a FB account.

I just wanted to be able to easily upload my photos and show off my editing work.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Bellatezzudea said:

That's why so many people have a flickr which you can post on directly from inworld.  I know you can post on your feed also from inworld.  If I want to showcase anything, I just upload and add it to my profile.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:38 PM, Nick0678 said:

my.secondlife.com could be modified for that and look/work similar to facebook, also have a web instant messenger plugin to talk with friends without the need for someone to use client software but i don't think that's going to happen. 

Thank you so much darling for understanding me.

17 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

That's why so many people have a flickr which you can post on directly from inworld.  I know you can post on your feed also from inworld.  If I want to showcase anything, I just upload and add it to my profile.

I do a lot of Photoshop editing dear.
Don't let me post here.
I have my Flickr and it's not the same.
It looks like Facebook.
It's another network, like Instagram too.
RL is mixed with SL.
Very mixed.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Bellatezzudea said:

I do a lot of Photoshop editing dear.
Don't let me post here.
I have my Flickr and it's not the same.
It looks like Facebook.
It's another network, like Instagram too.
RL is mixed with SL.
Very mixed.

Dear?  anywho..you can post edited pictures here.  There are quite a few threads already with tons of them.  

LL is having a hard enough time getting group chats to work.  All we need is something else to take their efforts away from things that actually matter to a lot of people.  

• Like 6

On 10/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, Bellatezzudea said:

Transform the Second Life community page into a more pleasant and interactive social network, so that all of us in SL can interact without the need for "Facebook".
Just like IMVU, which doesn't depend on "Facebook".
May we share our photos, videos and ideas, coming from outside or inside SL

I swear I never imagined that the mere exposition of an idea would generate such a problem.
I'm so sorry for being a thinking person!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Bellatezzudea said:

I swear I never imagined that the mere exposition of an idea would generate such a problem.
I'm so sorry for being a thinking person!

To be honest, you haven't really explained your idea in any sufficient detail and now you randomly quote yourself.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2020 at 6:49 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I, and some friends, abandoned the feed after discovering there's a 10,000 post limit on each thread. It took seven years to hit the limit (by sharing links to music) but we did it.

In January of this year, Linden Lab purchased Avatars United as part of our social strategy and a larger ambition to integrate powerful social networking capabilities into the Second Life experience -- to make it even faster, easier, and more fun to find friends, build vibrant communities, and share the richness of Second Life with fellow Residents inworld and friends outside of Second Life. We purchased Avatars United for its underlying social technology -- the ability to create social networks, communities and groups.

In order to focus our resources on integrating that technology to Second Life, and to minimize the confusion between the Second Life and Avatars United brands, we will be taking down Avatars United, on September 29th, 2010. We will roll out new Resident Profiles in the coming months -- including the option to share more about your inworld identity and infused with social networking functionality -- all under the Second Life banner. The most “back to basics” building blocks of Second Life -- the heart of what makes Second Life so special -- is you, and we’re committed to using the Avatars United technology to help you build richer communities and create stronger, more dynamic relationships with each other.

If you have a profile on Avatars United, then we encourage you to use this week to save any pieces of content (such as pictures, friend’s names, etc.) that you want to keep. AU members will shortly receive an email version of this post that will also update them directly on their AU Coin refund, for those that have an account balance.

We would like to thank all members of Avatars United for participating in our community, and being part of the Second Life family. And, we hope we will see you again, in Second Life!

But I think that after so many years, it doesn't seem to be working very well, does it?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

To be honest, you haven't really explained your idea in any sufficient detail and now you randomly quote yourself.

In January of this year, Linden Lab purchased Avatars United as part of our social strategy and a larger ambition to integrate powerful social networking capabilities into the Second Life experience -- to make it even faster, easier, and more fun to find friends, build vibrant communities, and share the richness of Second Life with fellow Residents inworld and friends outside of Second Life. We purchased Avatars United for its underlying social technology -- the ability to create social networks, communities and groups.

In order to focus our resources on integrating that technology to Second Life, and to minimize the confusion between the Second Life and Avatars United brands, we will be taking down Avatars United, on September 29th, 2010. We will roll out new Resident Profiles in the coming months -- including the option to share more about your inworld identity and infused with social networking functionality -- all under the Second Life banner. The most “back to basics” building blocks of Second Life -- the heart of what makes Second Life so special -- is you, and we’re committed to using the Avatars United technology to help you build richer communities and create stronger, more dynamic relationships with each other.

If you have a profile on Avatars United, then we encourage you to use this week to save any pieces of content (such as pictures, friend’s names, etc.) that you want to keep. AU members will shortly receive an email version of this post that will also update them directly on their AU Coin refund, for those that have an account balance.

We would like to thank all members of Avatars United for participating in our community, and being part of the Second Life family. And, we hope we will see you again, in Second Life!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

On 10/4/2020 at 5:29 AM, Sardonyx Mysterious said:

Carmen King is making Second Life Videos right now. She has over 900,000 followers in the 18-24 demographic. Most of her followers, I believe, are Sims, Imvu and Grand Theft Auto players. I am assuming the op is one of her followers.

I have been watching her vids lately too, and she has showcased a lot about SL that many of us in here love.  Beautiful AVs, Shopping and decorating... big mansions :)  She is fun, pink and entertaining....AND she has a very substantial audience. 

But all that fun stuff she shows in her vids, are not as easy to get too for new sign ups.  This is not new information, we all know that this has been an ongoing problem.  What to do to get the new comers up and running ...to live that life Carmen has in SL.  Her comments are often complaining that it was to confusing to get into.  I feel that its such a missed opportunity.

I don't care for FB ... but I do think SL needs some rethinking on the social media end.  It won't hurt to talk about it , or even consider what others have to say about it.  New comer or an oldie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.