SECOND LIFE COMMUNITY WITH A FACEBOOK FACE TO US.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't have a rl facebook for safety purposes. I would never want my birth family to find me and Facebook would make It that much easier to do so. My old sl account has a Facebook that I never used besides when I've shared blog posts or articles. It's an annoying site so why would I want that here? 

I get to share anything I want already here within a safety bubble I want there. Plus it's fun learning someone's personality slowly through their responses here in the forums. One can pick up so much just by observation. Sl doesn't need its own facebook. 

• Like 6

United States Judge halts Donald Trump’s ban on Tik Tok downloads

The district judge issued a temporary injunction at the request of Tik Tok, which earlier the White House had called national security threat claiming that its Chinese parent firm is tied to the Beijing government.

4 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

United States Judge halts Donald Trump’s ban on Tik Tok downloads

The district judge issued a temporary injunction at the request of Tik Tok, which earlier the White House had called national security threat claiming that its Chinese parent firm is tied to the Beijing government.

Now you've gone and done it.  You mentioned his name and we have no eye roll reaction yet!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dafadilia said:

I don't have a rl facebook for safety purposes. I would never want my birth family to find me and Facebook would make It that much easier to do so. My old sl account has a Facebook that I never used besides when I've shared blog posts or articles. It's an annoying site so why would I want that here? 

I get to share anything I want already here within a safety bubble I want there. Plus it's fun learning someone's personality slowly through their responses here in the forums. One can pick up so much just by observation. Sl doesn't need its own facebook. 

I remember reading somewhere of some people that were getting ads on FB for special meds they were taking --- which only their doctor and pharmacy would know. Found out a major U.S. chain was selling into to FB.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I don't enjoy using FB but it's the only place I can keep in touch with an old friend and a special interest group that means a lot to me.  As for this forum, I'd like to see Hug and Love buttons; that's all.

Yes, more buttons please.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Here you go --- more buttons!

184615745_002d01b177.jpg

Oops, wrong type of buttons! 🤣

My grandma had a button box and my mom got it when she passed away.  Mom is still with us but I called dibs on that box.

ETA:  Totally off topic but eh, not sorry

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

My grandma had a button box and my mom got it when she passed away.  Mom is still with us but I called dibs on that box.

I have inherited one too.  I don't think I have looked in it for 10 years 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

My grandmother's button box was a cookie tin.

Cookies_d6e386_4707549.jpg

Edited by PermaRuthed
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

48 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have inherited one too.  I don't think I have looked in it for 10 years 

I have one that I add buttons to all the time -- extra buttons you get with a new shirt or buttons that fall off of shirts.  I loathe sewing though, so I haven't actually used a button out of there in forever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have one that I add buttons to all the time -- extra buttons you get with a new shirt or buttons that fall off of shirts.  I loathe sewing though, so I haven't actually used a button out of there in forever.

I've started my own too.  I've cut button of wore out clothes or I might even buy something at the thrift store just because the buttons are unique.  I have a set of Scottie dog buttons from an old dress I found.  Odd thing to collect but it doesn't take up much space.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I've started my own too.  I've cut button of wore out clothes or I might even buy something at the thrift store just because the buttons are unique.  I have a set of Scottie dog buttons from an old dress I found.  Odd thing to collect but it doesn't take up much space.

I'm not "collecting" them.  The box was truly started as a place to hold buttons until I needed to sew a button back on something.  That just never seems to actually happen.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bellatezzudea said:

Transform the Second Life community page into a more pleasant and interactive social network, so that all of us in SL can interact without the need for "Facebook".
Just like IMVU, which doesn't depend on "Facebook".
May we share our photos, videos and ideas, coming from outside or inside SL

17 minutes ago, animats said:

In 2010, Linden Lab bought a company, Enemy Unknown, operators of "Avatars United". That was supposed to be "Facebook for avatars".

Like most Linden Lab acquisitions, it didn't work out.

The Steam forums seem to be serving that market now, with more success.

Is Avatars United what turned into the My Second Life?

That seems be the closest thing to what the OP is asking for.
However I don't think that is very widely known about or much used either.

24 minutes ago, animats said:

In 2010, Linden Lab bought a company, Enemy Unknown, operators of "Avatars United". That was supposed to be "Facebook for avatars".

Like most Linden Lab acquisitions, it didn't work out.

The Steam forums seem to be serving that market now, with more success.

Yup. That's your SL Feed. The thing that no one knows about. Oldbies think it has vanished. Noobs have never heard of it. There are a devout few who still use it a lot. I used to, but now very sporadically. There are so many reasons it failed. Right now it is because it is buggier than an honey smeared picnic basket. You can upload raw screenshots directly to your feed (in theory). 

There is a link to it on your dashboard, under "connect and share" and it takes you to my.secondlife.com

I heard, from a usually reliable source, that one reason the feeds are so buggy is that after LL acquired Avatars United (and oh, were the users of AU peeved at that, especially after it tanked in LL's hands), that they kept on some of A.U.'s software guys to make the stuff work. Then they fired them. Oops, before LL learned the code to make the stuff work, and no one other than the A.U. guy could figure it out. I used to have the A.U. guy's name. I have no idea if that story is true, but from the past history of LL it would not surprise me. The acquisition and then just thoroughly bungling of A.U. was not one of LL's finer moments.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In theory, yes.  In practice, no.  I have had a FB account under a few of my alts.  The biggest difficulty I've encountered is that FB typically wants a unique phone number associated with accounts.

They've never managed to get a phone number out of me. Can't text a landline. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.