Inventory implications of deleting account

AdminGirl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Does anyone know what happens to your inventory if you delete your sl account? Is it recoverable if you decide to reactivate, and if so, is there a time limit before it becomes unrecoverable?

ETA: Particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has had actual experience with this, given the info available online is a bit vague.

Edited by AdminGirl

7 answers to this question

8 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Does anyone know what happens to your inventory if you delete your sl account? Is it recoverable if you decide to reactivate, and if so, is there a time limit before it becomes unrecoverable?

ETA: Particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has had actual experience with this, given the info available online is a bit vague.

I reactivated my main back in 2013 after being closed for 3 years and the inventory was ok, it was also done free of charge.
Not sure how it would do these days and also if having an enormous amount of items in the inventory would affect it differently.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:
I reactivated my main back in 2013 after being closed for 3 years and the inventory was ok, it was also done free of charge.
Not sure how it would do these days and also if having an enormous amount of items in the inventory would affect it differently.

Thanks so much for letting me know. Can I ask how large your inventory was approximately when you deactivated?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Thanks so much for letting me know. Can I ask how large your inventory was approximately when you deactivated?

If i remember well it had about a couple of thousands at that time (excluding the default from linden lab). They were all old stuff from 2009 and back so i had to remove them manually after reactivation.

• Thanks 1

Linden Lab has never guaranteed that your inventory will be recoverable if you deactivate an account, but most people have apparently been successful.  I suspect that you take a greater chance if you have been away for a "long" time or have a "large" inventory, but there's no way to tell what "long" and "large" mean.   It's probably wisest not to close an account if there's any chance that you will be returning, even if that chance doesn't seem likely right now.  It doesn't cost you anything to keep a Basic account open.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Linden Lab has never guaranteed that your inventory will be recoverable if you deactivate an account, but most people have apparently been successful.  I suspect that you take a greater chance if you have been away for a "long" time or have a "large" inventory, but there's no way to tell what "long" and "large" mean.   It's probably wisest not to close an account if there's any chance that you will be returning, even if that chance doesn't seem likely right now.  It doesn't cost you anything to keep a Basic account open.

This is pure speculation, but I would assume that Linden Lab makes no conscious effort to destroy any account data of deactivated accounts. That's to say, it doesn't matter if you're gone for 15 years with an inventory of 1 million items.

It may just be that, over time, through the natural progression of the virtual world (land or region re-rented/moved/abandoned) and maintenance or server downtime/complications/migration could mean that deactivated accounts are the ones with less "protections" against data loss, whether intentional or not.

Basically, LL is not obligated to maintain "abandoned data" forever, even if they intend to.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.