Questions about Shapes

JanuarySwan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have some questions about shapes.

First off, if I offered a copy only shape could somebody still transfer it out of SL and transfer it back into SL therefore copying it and selling it as their shape?

Second question, should I sell my shapes as user licensed only or what is best in order to keep my shapes mine?  Start a FLICKR page perhaps?

I am making "other" worldly type of creatures, fantasy shapes, not human of course but they are "partially" human, so they are very unique in that respect.  These are not animals but do resemble humans somewhat yet not really.    Kind of hard to explain.  

Also, if I had a shape and if I partnered with someone who had the skills, could they make a mesh head out of my shape as a guide?

Edited by JanuarySwan

You cannot export someone else's shape file via the viewer. 

But if your shape is MOD anyone that wants can go through the pains of copying out the numbers and recreating the shape. Think of it as a "recipe for cookies" that cannot be copyrighted :D.  I sold shapes oh so VERY VERY long ago. They sold well. Mine were mod. I am sure that some folks who bought most all the shapes were reselling "as their own".  I didn't worry about it. They were easy to make. 

Since pretty much anyone with a tiny bit of practice can make a decent shape -- or a great one, I suggest you work on marketing and photography. As the person before me noted, it is unlikely that you will sell any "no mod" shapes. Twelve years ago you could. Not now. 

So that's the reality.  Your shape will never ever be "your shape" unless you make it no mod and it is very unlikely you can sell those.

When I see a venue that is starting to switch to shapes and makeup and nails ---  well that isn't a good sign; I wouldn't join that event. All these things are way to easy to make.  Perhaps just doing the shapes FOR FUN and maybe being in some events -- again FOR FUN would be the best way to look at things.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I'd personally never buy a no mod shape.  I don't really know many who would to be honest.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  Who would buy a no mod shape.  However, my shapes are different.  They are not a human, but rather a completed creature, as far as I am concerned complete in how they are, which lead me to my last question in my OP which is...could someone who had the skills make a mesh head out of my shapes as a guide so they look like the shape?

And, @Chic Aeon, thanks for all the added info.  This quote thing wasn't letting me quote two posts appropriately.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 6:49 PM, JanuarySwan said:

I have some questions about shapes.

First off, if I offered a copy only shape could somebody still transfer it out of SL and transfer it back into SL therefore copying it and selling it as their shape?

Second question, should I sell my shapes as user licensed only or what is best in order to keep my shapes mine?  Start a FLICKR page perhaps?

I am making "other" worldly type of creatures, fantasy shapes, not human of course but they are "partially" human, so they are very unique in that respect.  These are not animals but do resemble humans somewhat yet not really.    Kind of hard to explain.  

Also, if I had a shape and if I partnered with someone who had the skills, could they make a mesh head out of my shape as a guide?

No. Only full-perm shapes can be exported. But, there are ways to ripoff anything in SL. Shapes being one of the easier items to steel but few people know how to do it.

Ugh. I am not sure there is a GOOD WAY. No-mod is the most protective way. But, many of us won't buy no-mod. You could copyright the shape. But, will you sell enough of the shape to pay for the RL fees?

I would probably make the creatures a set, body, shape, animations... and possibly copyright the kit.

Head only shape - It is possible to make partial shapes. So a head only or a body only. One exports the shape which becomes and XML file. The XML file can be edited outside the viewer. Lines of XML can be deleted. Say delete all but the head settings. When the resulting shape is uploaded it combines with whatever shape is being worn but only the included XML values change the existing shape. All other settings remain unchanged.

The gotcha is the partial shape has to be sold as an XML file and the end user has to understand how to import a shape. Not a user friendly process.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Head only shape - It is possible to make partial shapes. So a head only or a body only. One exports the shape which becomes and XML file. The XML file can be edited outside the viewer. Lines of XML can be deleted. Say delete all but the head settings. When the resulting shape is uploaded it combines with whatever shape is being worn but only the included XML values change the existing shape. All other settings remain unchanged.

The gotcha is the partial shape has to be sold as an XML file and the end user has to understand how to import a shape. Not a user friendly process.

That sounds amazing!  I will give a try!   Thank you very much!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.