If I buy and wear a mesh body...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...will I be able to take it off, and alternate between my classic avatar and the mesh one? Or will the mesh body completely replace the classic avatar? This is probably a silly question but I have to be sure my avatar will be okay and usable (I've saved her in "my outfits").

Edit: Second question: is it okay to talk about specific merchandise in this forum? I have more questions about the mesh.

Edited by Foggypebble Muircastle
  • Haha 1

There is no problem all to do what you want. The only thing to be careful about is making sure you you keep copies of unaltered versions of your classic avatar's components. For example, to look your best with a BOM mesh avatar, you'll need to wear a skin that is made for it, and you'll need to modify your shape. If you don't make a copy of the shape before you alter it, you won't have the correct shape for your classic avatar.

You can even make outfits with your clkassic and mesh versions, and change from one to the other almost instantly.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

There is no problem all to do what you want. The only thing to be careful about is making sure you you keep copies of unaltered versions of your classic avatar's components. For example, to look your best with a BOM mesh avatar, you'll need to wear a skin that is made for it, and you'll need to modify your shape. If you don't make a copy of the shape before you alter it, you won't have the correct shape for your classic avatar.

You can even make outfits with your clkassic and mesh versions, and change from one to the other almost instantly.

Thank you.

I became interested in the Maitreya body because of all the gorgeous clothes that people have made for it and the lack of nice clothes for non-mesh avatars, and the popularity. But all photos of Maitreya look like Barbies and swimsuit models. Can the Maitreya body be altered to look more common?

6 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I think so, but I have no personal knowledge.

You could find out if it can be the general shape you want by getting the demo and playing with the shape sliders.

Of course! The demo. Thank you.

I think I'm liking the looks of the Belleza bodies more though, based on comparisons on google images.

Your classic body is always with you.  The mesh body is a shell that you wear on top of the classic body..  The classic body is hidden by an alpha mask.

You can indeed use the Appearance sliders to modify the shape of your mesh body, so you can personalize it the same way that you do with your classic body.  Within limits, that means that you can make it look very similar to the classic body. 

I had precisely the same worries when I bought my body, because I had spent more than a decade gradually tweaking my classic body.  I had become very attached to her and was afraid to lose her to an unfamiliar form.  As I look back at old photos now, I find that it's sort of like looking at old photos of my younger RL self -- a different appearance but still the same me, with characteristics that are still subtlely familiar.  Unlike my RL body, though, this SL mesh body is not old and wrinkly.  In five years, she has become me all over again and, frankly, I like her better.   Your mileage may vary, as they say, but as Jennifer says,  if it does, you can always go back to the classic body at any time if you wish.  Not quite the same deal that you get in RL.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I think I'm liking the looks of the Belleza bodies more though, based on comparisons on google images.

Amount of content made matters, creators make most clothing for the most popular bodies. Try to look in the stores you prefer. Do they include that Belleza body you prefer? Creators tend to stop making content for Venus and Isis, and only make for Freya, Slink Hourglass, Meshbody Classic, and, of course, Maitreya. Then there are some that sell for the small chested versions of Maitreya and Meshbody. Called Petite and Perky. They are not so easy to find.

I tend to recommend Maitreya for first time users, since it is the "safe" choice. But you are not new, you know your style and your favorite stores. But find out if the body you pick, can give you the wardrobe you want.

There are some free bodies that is supposed to fit Maitreya clothing. I have found them too much hassle, instead I buy the Maitreya itself. It is not that expensive, compared to the time I save. They often need more demo'ing and more work with alpha cuts and alpha layers.

It is lots of tutorials on "Bakes on Mesh" - BoM. I will try to say it as short as I can, BoM let you wear your favorite layer-based classic outfits, skins and tattoos. It is very handy, you can keep the face you have on a mesh body and use a skin that's not for sale anymore, tattoos that is not updated to appliers, freckles layers you alredy have, and underwear that does not poke through mesh clothing. It is also handy for leggings under long sweaters and in high boots. Other layer based clothing has I found out does not look good enough anymore.

29 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Should I get Belleza Freya or Venus? My avatar fits medium and large 'standard sized' clothing.

Did you demo?

I am not a Belleza user. So I have not paid that much attention, only that some creators does not include all of them. I think it was Freya that is included in most of the packs I have seen in latest events.

A Marketplace search confirm that Freya has most content.

Belleza Freya under apparel, MP: 313197

Maitreya under apparel, MP:  977202

Do not base your pick on pictures. I am a bit worried if you google images without trying demos.

2 hours ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Standard sizes does not matter at all. But Freya is more voluptuous. Still, a thinner shape can increase in thickness. Bodies respond well to the sliders, love handles, thickness, muscle, breast and butt.

• Like 1

I think I like the look of the Belleza Isis body the most but I think I’d probably find the most clothes for Venus and Freya. Unfortunately I read that Belleza bodies are heavy on the servers so I’m still not sure if I should get Belleza or not. But I think Maitreya’s clothes are the only attractive thing about her. She goes in too much at points like her knees and is too rounded and her bust looks weird.

I am thinking of getting Venus because I want big all over, not just around the bust and back, and it looks like those are the only places Freya is bigger in. 

33 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

If you're going to get Belleza and you like to shop, get Freya. If you are the type of person who will buy a handful of outfits and be happy with that, get whichever Belleza body you want. But Freya is the only one with any meaningful amount of *current* support from creators.

Can I alter the Freya body to not have a very large bust or backside?

Edit: ALSO, will my Belleza body slow down SL for other people when I go to my clubs??

Edited by Foggypebble Muircastle

18 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

ALSO, will my Belleza body slow down SL for other people when I go to my clubs??

No. You are a little drop in an ocean. One mesh item more won't have a messureable effect on it. There are way worse things out there.

20 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Can I alter the Freya body to not have a very large bust or backside?

All mesh bodies respond to the sliders of your shape, so you can slim a body down. Although all bodies have their individual limitations and you won't get a general tendency of noticeable curves entirely out of Freya. Thats what demos are for, so you can see, if the body can be altered in a way you like.

1 hour ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

How do you marketplace search for specific meshes?

I just select Apparel and type in Belleza Freya as search words. Or Belleza Venus, Belleza Isis.

Using only Belleza would not give any indication of how many it is of each, and what body that is rising or dropping in popularity. It is not fool proof. Some designers write "Belleza, all sizes" but I hope it's not so many that does it.

If you have favorite stores for mesh clothes, simply check if they sell for the body you prefer. Big stores like Blueberry, Scandalize and Addams does not make Venus sizes anymore. I checked their newest releases, it is Freya and Isis. If you do not like these stores, look in the stores you usually buy from.

If you aren't a big shopper, and do not care about buying the newest releases, you can find the Venus sizes if you go in the mainstore or the Marketplace stores and look in earlier releases.

No one can say that a particular mesh body is going to be the most supported in the future. We can only buy what we like and maybe replace it with another when we want something else. Many people have more than 1 body. With BoM, changing between bodies is as easy as taking off one body, adding the other. Your skin/tattoos/birthmarks and other layers show up on the other body, no need to hunt for appliers.

20 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I got the demos for belleza and tried them on.....but I cannot locate the place in the hud where you alter the mesh. When I click shape I get nothing but bust and hand poses. I want to alter the legs/waist/size/etc of this mesh. How do I alter it?

It's not on the hud. Right-click your avatar and select "Edit Appearance" from the menu. All the shape sliders are there, you can play around with them until you get it looking right.

I suggest making a copy of your shape first and wear the copy so you're not messing up your original classic shape, and make a new copy for each body you try.

To answer one of your earlier questions, yes you can slim down the bust and butt on Freya, but not to the same degree you can on Maitreya. If you want a slim body with very small boobs, Maitreya is probably better for you than Freya.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I want to alter the legs/waist/size/etc of this mesh. How do I alter it?

you need to right click on yourself and edit appearance or find the shape you are wearing in inventory and right click edit. I strongly advise you make a copy of your shape first with right click copy then paste (not as link) and right click rename your shape you might want to add the body name you are using to the name to differentiate it from your current shape 

2 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

It's not on the hud. Right-click your avatar and select "Edit Appearance" from the menu. All the shape sliders are there, you can play around with them until you get it looking right.

I suggest making a copy of your shape first and wear the copy so you're not messing up your original classic shape, and make a new copy for each body you try.

To answer one of your earlier questions, yes you can slim down the bust and butt on Freya, but not to the same degree you can on Maitreya. If you want a slim body with very small boobs, Maitreya is probably better for you than Freya.

Thank you! I think I'll get what I want from Isis. I already saved my shape.

11 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

ALSO, will my Belleza body slow down SL for other people when I go to my clubs??

You betcha. Absolutely.

Any mesh body will increase your avatar streaming and rendering cost. This simply means that by wearing a mesh body, you are forcing everyone to download extra data, and to have their computers calculate more details for their screens. But this is not specific for mesh bodies. It also goes for clothing and sculpties and even simple prims. (if they have many large textures).

But don't worry too much about it. For most, the impact is not significant, and computers have gotten faster over time, but there is simply no denying that mesh bodies slow everyone in viewing range down more than old-fashioned system's bodies do.

Also, fun fact: when your system's body is hidden by an alpha layer, your computer still has to calculate every single triangle of it so it will 'show' your invisible body correctly.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

15 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Also, fun fact

Also fun fact: I was really confused why you quoted me saying that (because I didn't)... and I still stand with my reply.

Telling someone, who is new to mesh bodies, in detail how its putting a load on their computer and others is really counterproductive, if that person might take this as "My mesh body is hell on earth for a computer!" and then decides to not purchase one, although they would like to, based on a false fear. Meanwhile, everyone around them happily walks around in mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.