Teleport failures not fixed

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My TP problems continue as well, seems to be getting worse if anything.  I contacted support.  They got me to download a special beta viewer and send them log files.  With the viewer I was more stable.   I got a LOT of errors trying to TP but I had to really stress it to get it to crash.  I can't use this viewer though because I'm so used to Firestorm that I would honestly rather put up with the crashes than switch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Imagin Illyar said:

The announced fix has NOT fixed TP crashes for me, it's happening just as much as it was before :(  Anyone else notice any difference at all?

I have like 95%+ normal TP all the time now and fast TP. Occasionally delays to a busy place and if place full, I observed, it takes a little before the announcement that place is full is coming.

I have not used my "trick" above last couple of days, as TP works for me.

• Like 1

I agree, the TP problem is not fixed.

A TP works sometimes, then total and continuous fails, with the not completed in a timely fashion, or unable to TP message. This is from empty regions to empty regions too, not related to busy places.

Sigh.

Edit: There does seem to be some relationship for the failures, between the region TPing from and/or the region TPing to. I have not worked out what that is, though.

2nd Edit: Eventually worked it out. Although the world map showed the region online, it was in fact off line!

Edited by Hatsya
Update

3 hours ago, Hatsya said:

Although the world map showed the region online, it was in fact off line!

This backs up what another poster in a different thread found, the workaround was to look at the properties of the inventory landmark and not double-click it or attempt to TP until the landmark picture was visible. I experimented with this myself and certainly found instances where even after a minute no picture was showing. However, there were still odd instances when a TP to a landmark that had loaded the picture just hung and either popped back with the unable to complete in a timely manner, or crashed me out.

As others have said, though, until Linden Lab have completed the uplift and whatever server tuning they need to make, I would expect sporadic issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It certainly isn't sporadic for me. I out and out crash every third teleport. For 2 months now.  I tested an alt - same computer, same settings - the alt never crashes.  I've tried stripping down and wearing nothing that isn't in the library - still crash.  The work-around mentioned above made no difference.  I feel it is something about my avatars' account somehow but I run an estate with this avie, I can't just switch.  I make my living managing 261 regions and HAVE to TP a lot.  This has been going on for 2 months for me now. It's hard to be patient at this point.

This issue is affecting us all to a greater or lesser extent.  Another workaround that I find useful is, if you get a failed teleport and you are resturned to the point of origin, move a few metres from that point and try again.  I find that works more often than not and if again it fails, move again and third time's the charm.

If of course the screen does not return you live to the point of origin, you are booted from SL without any recourse.  This is also my fate even if I hit the cancel button.  I have to hope this routing issue is solved soon.

The principal annoyance with this bug is that any edits or scripted changes you make prior to such a disconnect are lost since the system only saves states on TP or logout.  On occasions this means half an hour or more of lost work!

It is pure speculation on my part but I suspect the TP failures and Map tiles not updating are in some way connected.

Edited by Aishagain
Additional text and grammar correction

8 hours ago, Imagin Illyar said:

It certainly isn't sporadic for me. I out and out crash every third teleport. For 2 months now.  I tested an alt - same computer, same settings - the alt never crashes.  I've tried stripping down and wearing nothing that isn't in the library - still crash.  The work-around mentioned above made no difference.  I feel it is something about my avatars' account somehow but I run an estate with this avie, I can't just switch.  I make my living managing 261 regions and HAVE to TP a lot.  This has been going on for 2 months for me now. It's hard to be patient at this point.

This is just a guess since I'm far from knowing for sure, for that the Firestorm Support Group and SL Support should be the best to ask to find out. As you suspect this to affect only one account, this more and more makes me think about this issue: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/inventory_corruption

It mentions crashing among its symptoms, but not in relation to teleports. Anyway, you can check for it the way this article describes, and if you suspect this might be the source of the issue, you can contact Support in this regard. (I remember you mentioned you have contacted them before, poking them again might be necessary to find out more.)

Of course this can be still rather server-side than a specific issue related to your account, but it seems like many people now experience much less teleport failures and crashes (me included) since all regions got uplifted so we basically only TP between uplifted sims running on the same server version. There are still weird things going on in the background though, and I still strongly suspect the simulator server takes too long to recognize the avatar that arrived to a region, either by crossing or teleporting, and might fail to catch up. The latest example of this I noticed is that people's "is sitting" status on the Radar doesn't show if you're in another (adjacent) region, and after you (or they) cross so that you're all in the same region, it still takes more than 30 seconds (or never happens) to show people that are definitely sitting on furniture or vehicles, as "is sitting". There's definitely some serious communication issues between the simulator server, the viewer, and another simulator server (the destination's). I see a common pattern in the teleport failures, the workarounds that some people suggested, the parcel data showing and failing to show on the world map, and also the issue when you can't open a parcel's details from another (adjacent) region for a long time. All of these seem to be coming from a common source on our end. I'm curious if devs are able to isolate any of these issues to be coming from different sources, or not.

Edited by AlettaMondragon
Don't you hate typos?

• 1 month later...

I was crashing every 3rd teleport.  It went on for months and then just miraculously went away.  I have not crashed since I logged on Monday, Dec. 21st.  It didn't go away gradually, the day before I crashed as much as ever but not since Dec 21st.  I changed nothing on my end and assumed that the Lab fixed something but maybe not if others still have the problem.

2 minutes ago, Imagin Illyar said:

Were you crashing about every 3rd TP before? 

Mine were more off & on.  Early/mid Dec, I'd have days of no TP crashing and then a few days of crashing every 3-5 TPs, then days of no crashing followed by a few more bad days.  I had similar issues for a few weeks a month or two ago.  

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Mine were more off & on.  Early/mid Dec, I'd have days of no TP crashing and then a few days of crashing every 3-5 TPs, then days of no crashing followed by a few more bad days.  I had similar issues for a few weeks a month or two ago.  

My experience was a bit different.  One day I started crashing every 3rd TP and it was absolutely consistent for months, until Dec 21st when it abruptly stopped and didn't return.  I'm knocking on a lot of wood here saying that :)

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I should not have said anything - or I should have knocked on wood or such.  In the last 24 hours, I've had 3 TP failures - on 2 different accounts -- but all of them resulted in viewer disconnects.

*sigh*

I'm not sure you have the same problem.  TP failures isn't crashing.  The problem I had was SL crashing every 3rd teleport. 

2 minutes ago, Imagin Illyar said:

I'm not sure you have the same problem.  TP failures isn't crashing.  The problem I had was SL crashing every 3rd teleport. 

Yeah, not sure it is the same as my previous ones, but something within the TP process is stalling and ultimately the viewer disconnects -- that greyish screen saying you can chat or quit (though I don't think I've ever actually been able to chat during those times).

If I truly were superstitious though, I'd say just talking about TP problems caused it.   :ph34r:  xD

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, not sure it is the same as my previous ones, but something within the TP process is stalling and ultimately the viewer disconnects -- that greyish screen saying you can chat or quit (though I don't think I've ever actually been able to chat during those times).

If I truly were superstitious though, I'd say just talking about TP problems caused it.   :ph34r:  xD

Ok, then that is crashing if you're getting the window saying chat or quit. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.