Why SL instead of OpenSim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a question I’ve always had; 

What makes you choose Second Life over OpenSim? They both run with similar / same graphics, offer primitive and mesh building and customization as well as scripting. OS is infinitely cheaper to run a sim on (entire regions for $5 / month vs Secondlifes $200+). So what makes YOU chose second life and not Open Sim?

For the record, I’ve chosen second life as well. I just want to hear other people’s reasoning.

Yes, no people. And I have also heard that I can only buy a fraction of what I can buy in SL. Many content creators stay out of OpenSim because it is so easy to steal. Correct me if I am wrong. The whole point of my SL hobby is to pick from all SL can offer in avatar appearance and home/landscaping.

• Like 5

I've used OS a couple times out of curiosity, just to see how to set up my own server. It's kind of interesting to fiddle with but got boring fast as I am not a very patient or skilled builder. These days I prefer to be a tourist and SL has way more to see and do. 

• Like 1

Opensim is based on a single assumption. All you need for a successful SL-like virtual world, is cheap virtual land. 

SL provides significantly better scaling & infrastructure, intellectual property rights for creators, a stable currency, community standards and up to 1000 times the active population.

There is no incentive to make or sell anything on an opensim as it will simply get copied, with or without your permission. Content created for Opensim is indistinguishable from content stolen from Second Life (which no one is prepared to pay for).

Culture also plays a major role. SL caters to a broad range of groups & interests, but not all. Don't have to spend much time exploring the more open grids to find content that's just flat out illegal and probably gets you put on some kind of list.

It's been 13 years and the concurrent user count for all the major opensim grids combined is fewer than number of users logged into this forum right now.

• Like 6

I used opensim for a long time next to secondlife. But stopped using it. Lsl is not at the same level as secondlife. A script i made in secondlife worked not the same in opensim.

Big problem is that there's nit enough content. And the biggest problem, al my friends are in secondlife. And it's extreme hard to get people moved. It not works. Also content protection is very weak.

On top of that opensim is cheap, but am pretty sure that the 5$ sims only run good with a low load. You not get 50 people on it without problems. It can work because the server is full of empty regions.

Opensim still based on the same old technology as secondlife. There newer platforms in development that are nicer. (no NOT sansar ! Far from good)

People,content and protection are the 3 problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OpenSim/ OSGrid also misunderstood something fundamental to the user's psyche: the appeal of shopping. I had many long and in the end futile arguments with OSGrid free stores back in 2010. The store owners were insistent that everything should be free. I was of the opinion that people actually enjoy the shopping experience where there is a set price per item and they have a fixed amount of money which then allows them to make value judgements of each item : do I think it's worth it; I can't afford *that* but I really really like it, if I cross a and b off the list I can get it...

I also tried the line that creators enjoyed getting something in return for their efforts, but was roundly condemned for having old-fashioned capitalist ideas and if I'd been wearing one of those "set my title here" attachments I would have been walking around with "fascist lackey" on my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me it is not one or the other. I frequent both and see the pros and cons of either. S/L is more about sex and fashion, Opensim more about server tech and building/creating. Overall I find Opensim people friendlier and more willing to chat with a greater sense of community. Funny thing is that 90%+ people in Opensim are from S/L originally but are just more relaxed when in Opensim itself. 

Being that uploads are free and land itself cheap or free,  creators like my partner can easily create whole themed regions whenever the mood strikes and then save it till the mood strikes to put it back up again. S/L doesn't have that feature yet. Every time it needs to be a build from scratch. 

Features like BoM, Animesh, Bento, NPC etc didn't take years of discussion to bring in. When Lumiya broke in Opensim, it was a quick convo with the lead dev about it and a fix was put in to get it working again. 

To me S/L is like the big city and Opensim the small towns out in the country. Both lifestyles have their fans and some simply are comfortable doing both. It's not an either/or thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would never of been able to of had the opportunity ,funds or enjoyment (& many hour of learning) of creating ,terraforming and  owning regions in SL that OS has enabled me to.

SL is where I come for the avatar creating and all the wonderful things i can buy for my avatar .Oh and avatar interactions ,if u get me ;)

10 years in OS and 11 in SL. i love both

• Like 3

Second Life is a much bigger community, with more events, more places to visit and more content.

I do visit OpenSIm sometimes just for a change.  I also have an OpenSim standalone island of 4 regions, which I use quite a lot.

I still haven't managed to find decent walk and stand animations for an AO for use with OpenSim that can also be used for the standalone.

I use the OS standalone, which is installed on your own PC, for things I can't do in SL.  I learned all about owning a region and developing a whole region, or indeed 4 regions.  I also use it for testing textures before uploading them to SL. I developed my current skin on the standalone. This involved uploading revison after revision every few minutes, in complete privacy, which cost nothing but would have been very expensive in SL unless one uses the Beta Grid.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Mowri Panache said:

What makes you choose Second Life over OpenSim? They both run with similar / same graphics, offer primitive and mesh building and customization as well as scripting. OS is infinitely cheaper to run a sim on (entire regions for $5 / month vs Secondlifes $200+). So what makes YOU chose second life and not Open Sim?

For the record, I’ve chosen second life as well. I just want to hear other people’s reasoning.

The main reason that i prefer SL over OpenSim is due to the much larger number of users (realistically speaking SL population is enough to fill a small RL town) which in conjunction with the way that SL economy works it gave me the opportunity while having fun playing SL to also make some profit out of it without much effort.
(don't think of millions of USD's, just a few thousands).

In Opensim that simply isn't possible. The amount of users is simply too small and it's economy is practically speaking non existent.
Regardless of that I did have 2 regions in Opensim in the past (Arcana and Hermosa) that were fully operational with vivox slvoice working as well just for the fun of it, running 24/7 on a AWS virtual machine a couple of years ago.

If someone want's just to be creative that is possible in both SL and Opensim, financially speaking in Opensim it won't cost you anything but if you want to get paid as well then SL is the proper place for that.

• Like 2

i used OS, Metropolis grid in fact, in the past for building my mega prim eating dream buildings... it would have costed me 1000's of maintenance fees in SL .. the huge regions in OS were super for it. ( just building for the building and take it down, as i in small size, still do in SL)

Huge benefit when only building... no chat, groups or visitors.

• Like 2

I haven't visited OS (well, maybe once, years ago, maybe???) primarily for two reasons: 

• I have constantly heard what has been said above in the comments, that there are no people there and that the content is far less. I have heard that it is boring because of that.
  • I spend enough time in SL. For me it would be one or the other, because I can't devote more time. Splitting my time would be diluting my virtual experience.
  • Like 2

opensim had hope at one time, SL is light years now ahead of it,   the fact that opensim is too open and even allows hypergriding is also a concern,  I personally want to keep a small grid and keep it behind a wall garden,  because why,  can start up a sim, throw it up on osgrid,  take some ones hard work, goto the sim you started up, jump into god mode and take their scripts full perm or the objects full perm.     Thats a huge nope right there, since there is nothing protecting the scripts or hardwork,  there is no way of taking opensim serious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Opensim originally started as a work-a-like version of SL, it wasn't around when I found my way to SL.  I stayed and invested time, effort and money here and so that produces a certain amount of inertia when considering moving elsewhere.  I only have so much available time.

I have played around with my own hosted Opensim regions and have found them useful/valuable for variety of reasons.  I have been to one or two Opensim grids but never really found them compelling for a lot of the reasons posted in this topic and then they closed.

As with all clones, something significant has to be offered to tempt you away from something you are mostly happy with.  For those who aren't mostly happy, I imagine they left long ago.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
corrections.
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Mowri Panache said:

I have asked a few questions about OPEN SIM but it sounds like it has a catch.  It also sounds illegal.  It sounds shady.  It's not something I would want to do for various reasons.  It also sounds unsafe, not trustrworthy.  I'd never go there.  Now I see in this thread, there are no people?  It's just bizarre, that's for sure.   I'd never go for my reasons listed here...in a nutshell, it sounds shady at best and like a bad trap.  No way, Jose.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I have asked a few questions about OPEN SIM but it sounds like it has a catch.  It also sounds illegal.  It sounds shady.  It's not something I would want to do for various reasons.  It also sounds unsafe, not trustrworthy.  I'd never go there.  Now I see in this thread, there are no people?  It's just bizarre, that's for sure.  

First and foremost, OpenSim is software that you can use to host SL-work-a-like regions on any computer of your choice and use an SL viewer to login to.
Many people use these as a sandbox on their own computer to play around with their own stuff free of the land costs of someone else's grid and SL.
It doesn't even need the internet when used this way.

These grids can be connected to other Opensim "grids" on the internet and it is possible for people to travel between grids with their own grid-independent account.
This is called the Hypergrid.  These grids can also be isolated from other grids to provide a stand-alone service over the internet.

Some people take this software to create their own grids to provide an SL-style service to other free and/or paying customers. 

There is nothing shady or illegal about the Opensim software itself.

Some of these grids try very hard to keep everything there professional and legit but just as in SL (where LL tries very hard to keep everything legit too) or any other internet service, you are often fighting the illegitimate things that your users are doing on your service.
There are also grids using this software who just don't care about what is legit and not from their users and turn a blind eye.
There are also grids that set out, or eventually turn to scamming their paying customers and stealing content.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
corrections.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.