Jump to content

Dorian Electra's new video, "Edgelord", features Second Life character


Aemeth Lysette
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Whatever you think of her music or her character, she's made a career of nigh on 40 years out of changing her image. Strike a pose!

It's not just the music or character or image. It's the whole package. There's something a bit off when someone has to keep reinventing themselves to stay relevant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

Yikes, guys... Dorian's kind of the biggest shoutout this game can get. A few years ago, SL would have been jubilant at this happening. It's so weird to me that Dorian being on Lab Gab got no noise at all and there's just crickets at this video.

I totally understand the crickets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's not just the music or character or image. It's the whole package. There's something a bit off when someone has to keep reinventing themselves to stay relevant.

I must respectfully disagree. Change is the only constant, we are all works in progress whatever age we are.

I'm not actually a massive fan of her music...don't actively dislike it but it's far from my favourite. But I do like the fact that she tries new things, takes risks and hasn't spent 40 years being the same. It's fun wondering what she's going to do next. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Whatever you think of her music or her character, she's made a career of nigh on 40 years out of changing her image. Strike a pose!

She's the poster child of someone who can't sing on key to save her life but yet made millions by promoting her sex life in the hopes to distract people from her lack of talent. While I definitely throw up at the mention of her name, she's an effing genius to have fooled so many for so long. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Linda Reddevil said:

She's the poster child of someone who can't sing on key to save her life but yet made millions by promoting her sex life in the hopes to distract people from her lack of talent. While I definitely throw up at the mention of her name, she's an effing genius to have fooled so many for so long. 

Oh, she's a weak singer, I agree. (Has she fooled anyone on that?) But she's bloody good at changing her image and that much is entertaining. The pop industry isn't founded on the amazing range and technique of the singers, which is one reason why I love musical theatre. 

I don't know how fair it is to berate her for the conical bra stuff...that was a long time ago and I wouldn't say it's all she's ever had since 1987 or whenever. 

Sadly it's an industry where it's much harder for women than men to get a name for themselves, especially if they never capitalise on their sexuality or aren't uncommonly good-looking. Yet judged harder for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I must respectfully disagree. Change is the only constant, we are all works in progress whatever age we are.

I'm not actually a massive fan of her music...don't actively dislike it but it's far from my favourite. But I do like the fact that she tries new things, takes risks and hasn't spent 40 years being the same. It's fun wondering what she's going to do next. 

That isn't what I was thinking when I said what I did. It's her attempts to stay relevant (when she is my age!) that I find disturbing. No, she isn't the only one to do that, Tina Tuner for example, it's the reasons (that she doesn't admit to) behind her trying to stay relevant. The difference, as I see it, is Tina never comes off as being anything but who she is while Madonna comes off as fake.

I do give her props for trying because as you said, we are all works in progress. It's the motivation behind it that ruins her overall image for me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"TART?" asked my baker whimsically? "Yes of course" said I! 😊 "Lemon please" 8^) 

Pardon my not knowing who these artists are, but I don't even own a TV.

I think its great~!
All of us have a complete movie studio at our fingertips and most only use 1/4 of it abilities.
More SL in all media!

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2020 at 2:24 AM, Linda Reddevil said:

Really? According to my news feed yesterday, YouTube "sensation", Carmen King is the Queen of SL. I kid you not! That was the headline. Miss Potty Mouth goes through a bunch of SL activities, from creating an account to...whatever and videotaping them for everyone's pleasure. While I disliked Dorian's vid (just my taste) and don't see any prominent SL reference either, I'd still rather be tortured watching it over and over than to be subjected to the "new SL Queen". 

I liked the one where she said she was "the richest person in SL" and it zoomed in on her linden balance...of 895.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, Aemeth Lysette said:

Dorian Electra, a performer featured on Lab Gab recently, has published a new video featuring Rebecca Black and an animated Second Life character. The character features pretty prominently in the middle of the video, zooming right past Black before she begins to sing.

I haven't seen anyone talk about this, but that's a pretty big shoutout to SL, so here you go:

Dorian (pronouns they/them) is a hyperpop singer who is a chameleon with their appearances. They might look this way in this video, but guaranteed the next era they will look entirely different with a new character. This is the "gentlethem/edgelord" era for their new album.

I have no idea who this is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...