Dorian Electra's new video, "Edgelord", features Second Life character

Aemeth Lysette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dorian Electra, a performer featured on Lab Gab recently, has published a new video featuring Rebecca Black and an animated Second Life character. The character features pretty prominently in the middle of the video, zooming right past Black before she begins to sing.

I haven't seen anyone talk about this, but that's a pretty big shoutout to SL, so here you go:

Dorian (pronouns they/them) is a hyperpop singer who is a chameleon with their appearances. They might look this way in this video, but guaranteed the next era they will look entirely different with a new character. This is the "gentlethem/edgelord" era for their new album.

Edited by Aemeth Lysette
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

but that's a pretty big shoutout to SL

I wouldn't call this a shoutout. Its barely visible and even as someone familiar with SL, I couldn't identify this bit being from SL 100%. And if I can't, how should someone who isn't an SL veteran tell?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

Yikes, guys... Dorian's kind of the biggest shoutout this game can get. A few years ago, SL would have been jubilant at this happening. It's so weird to me that Dorian being on Lab Gab got no noise at all and there's just crickets at this video.

Again, how is it a shoutout, if people from outside of SL would not recognize this as something from SL? For someone less familar, the idea that this is from *something* probably does not even occur. They probably see it as some 3D rendering, but not actually as part of something real. Also I have no idea who this Dorian dude is, tbh and I feel like thats the case for many others aswell. It could also be, that many people do not know about or watch Lab Gab. One would need to follow SL on social media to be aware of it.

• Like 5

I think you can't, but if you look at the rabbit's body and prim head, yeah it is.

This is so sad. :( Dorian's even been doing concerts in Second Life (with Club Cringe) to invite people here. Being attached to an adjacent PC Music hyperpop movement means they've been able to extend Second Life's name and brand to younger people who have never heard of this game, even going so far as to include some machinima in their video. Compounding that by adding Rebecca Black, it's bound to get views for the memes alone. Rebecca even rode in the backseat of a car like in her old "Friday" video!

I saw someone mention on these forums a bit ago about trying to get Gen Z in this game. Dorian was one of the biggest chances of that happening. I think Strawberry got that when she interviewed Dorian, because I could hear her excitement when she was talking. Sadly, I don't think anyone else is catching on and this moment might just slip through the game's fingers. Everybody should be talking about this, from SL news sources to good ol' Drax. Where's the hype at?

Edited by Aemeth Lysette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I *have* heard of Dorian and have listened to their music before. It isn't something I routinely do. By the way, people really need to pay attention to that strobe warning at the beginning of the video, because YIKES.

While having a recognizably SL character in one of Dorian's videos would be a relatively big deal, this isn't it. As others have said, even for those familiar with SL have a hard time recognizing "OH look! A SL avatar!" The chaotic editing doesn't help the recognition. Actually, props to the OP for seeing it in the first place!

Also, the less than enthusiastic response here may also have something to do that the Forums tend to skew towards an :::cough::: older demographic. (I think. I'm probably making that up.)

• Like 1

Slayyyter's probably the only other artist who could pull this off too. Put some barbie SL avatar in one of her videos and glam it up, because she is all about that "perfect" look. Dorian showed how to put SL in your MVs and make it look good and blend seamlessly. I don't think I've seen other musicians attempt this before. I remember when Kim K did it, but she doesn't make music.

Really? According to my news feed yesterday, YouTube "sensation", Carmen King is the Queen of SL. I kid you not! That was the headline. Miss Potty Mouth goes through a bunch of SL activities, from creating an account to...whatever and videotaping them for everyone's pleasure. While I disliked Dorian's vid (just my taste) and don't see any prominent SL reference either, I'd still rather be tortured watching it over and over than to be subjected to the "new SL Queen". 

Who?

No seriously, who?

Lab Gab? Sorry - don't bother with it. Too busy catching up with Welcome to Nightvale, Netflix carried shows/movies and gathering up music (not this thing called hyperpop either) to really care either.

And unless the general userbase is able to identify any particular bit or CGI from a music video as being a Second Life avatar (from any era) then guess what? No one from outside will even think anything of it. That's just how it is.

That is putting aside the fact that - if certain posters in this forum are to be believed - the current generations aren't going to even bother with Second Life, since it doesn't do VR (among many other "reasons" given).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any mention of SL is good no matter what the context. I heard Rebecca Black doing a radio interview once and she sounded like a very normal young woman. I've never seen this Dorian Electra before but it's good to know that this isn't a permanent character for him. Maybe this video will attract the weird teens. SL would be a good place for them.

With Carmen King, again it is always good for SL to be in a spotlight. I like watching any videos of Second Life on youtube and anything is better than those creepy troll videos that used to be made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

Yikes, guys... Dorian's kind of the biggest shoutout this game can get. A few years ago, SL would have been jubilant at this happening. It's so weird to me that Dorian being on Lab Gab got no noise at all and there's just crickets at this video.

Okay so I’m in my mid 40s.  No clue who this is, what hyper pop is even.  & TY for the warning about strobes- those trigger my vertigo disorder.  Anywho.  Duran Duran still (at least a year ago) maintains a ghost town of a region.  That’s a huge “shout out”.  & it didn’t work out.  & then there was the movie “Ready Player One” -the author of the book the movie was based on was an active SLer long ago- so clear tie ins.  Just remember- everything is subjective & its great you found something in the video that caught your eye but it sounds unlikely to be the publicity generator you hope for SL.

https://secondlife.com/destination/duran-duran

this scene really reminded me of SL

&

i forgot- Dwight visits SL in the US version if The Office

58620DAB-FF8E-4AF6-8386-0524CA78F425.jpeg

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
Forgot dwight
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Any mention of SL is good no matter what the context.

I searched ALL 1260 comments for the video. There were TWO mentions of SL.

1. "The second life avatar shocked me to my core and projected me into 2005"
  2. "I saw that Second Life rabbit avatar lmaoo"

"There's no such thing as bad publicity" is an aphorism, not a truth.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

I am just so sad, why not use any new avatars?? ANY avatar in modern mesh look 100% better than that old rabbit avatar. PsiCorp, Tooth and Claw, mesh apparel, attachments. Every time Second Life is included somewhere it is old, outdated content. I read some story about SL, but was only teleporting around to drab regions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

This is the first I've ever heard of them so maybe they aren't as popular/well known as you expect.

Edit: Sorry. I'm not seeing anything in that vid that screams SL. I see a lot of the Joker and the White Rabbit but nothing that says SL.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Linda Reddevil said:

Really? According to my news feed yesterday, YouTube "sensation", Carmen King is the Queen of SL. I kid you not! That was the headline. Miss Potty Mouth goes through a bunch of SL activities, from creating an account to...whatever and videotaping them for everyone's pleasure. While I disliked Dorian's vid (just my taste) and don't see any prominent SL reference either, I'd still rather be tortured watching it over and over than to be subjected to the "new SL Queen". 

She is quite funny, tbf.

7 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

Everybody should be talking about this

No, we haven't got to do any such thing; I never heard of any of those people, and other things interest me in SL.  The rabbit could have been created any number of ways, and the dance could have come from anywhere.  Just because you've seen it in SL doesn't mean it's original.

• Like 3

Once I worked out that the lyrics were "I'm an edgelord, I'm so edgy", I realised it was meant to be self aware. So I guess that means the artist realises it's a load of cack and it's all ironic (there isn't actually anything remotely edgy in the video), which I suppose should make it drop off the scale of crapness and reappear on the other end as ironic brilliance.

No band ever made cartoons of themselves better than Gorillaz, and nobody reinvents themselves better than Madonna.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.