Does my avatar look like Asian?

yamata2018

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, yamata2018 said:

I hope this one is better

Edit: The attachment upload failed, so I am posting the picture here

https://imgur.com/a/KhKKGxu

If what you see on the screen is beautiful for you, go for it. I must be honest and say that it is not what I would call Asian or healthy, it looks very starved.

But it is not my avatar, and I can not tell you what you should look like. I do not think I can come with more advice, this thread tells me that we see things (shapes) very differently.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 6:26 AM, shiviex said:

As an asian myself and having an asian avatar, its definitely not an asian look. I dunno about system heads but I believe any mesh head(I am talking about lelu, catwa and genus here) can be used to achieve an asian look. 

...meh.... yes and no. If one is wanting those almond shaped eyes then it is much more difficult.

I think Catwa comes the closest on eyes.

There will only be so much you can do with the default SL head.  You've still not addressed the chin area which looks very odd in this last picture.  Also, as @Nalates Urriahpointed out, the eyes need work.  They're too round regardless of which nationality.  Kids have big round eyes but those do change as we grow older so..you need to adjust that.

For a classic avi and at not too much investment try Tokyo Girl.

You can get a system shape and skin for about 110L$

eg. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/TokyoGirl-Shape-Skin-Emi-NT-55165cm/2510465

Ps worth checking their shop out in world. They used to be quite big and then they went very quiet for years and have recently come back. Their old stock is being sold cheap and just because it is cheap doesn't mean it is not good quality.. just not designed to go on mesh like their recent stuff is. I think you can get mod shapes in world too, if the ones in the 110L$ packs are no mod, which they seem to be.

Edited by Aethelwine

On 9/27/2020 at 5:36 PM, Katt Dragoone said:

There's sooooo many ways you can get a true asian look. You just need to be patient and look around.

It's a big continent so yeah.

In my experience non-Asians 'sharpen or slant' the eyes too much and make the opening too small. Though again it is a big continent so there are people with that look. Yet with the folks I've grown up around and the community I now live in - people tend to have what to my eyes look like larger eyes than Caucasians (many Caucasians seem to have 'small beady eyes' to me, and when I start seeing this I have to remind myself it's only because I'm looking for it and mentally exaggerating it...)

Often but not always Asians will have less angular faces than Caucasians and some Africans (Africa has the most genetic diversity on earth, to absurd levels - the entire rest of humanity has less genetic variety than the average small isolated town in rural Ethiopia - so any statement I make about what Africans look like actually reveals my own ignorance...). But again this depends on ethnic group.

@yamata2018:

I would start with looking at a map of Asia and picking a place. Then google images of people from that place.

If you picked say... Thailand... and I picked Korea... our results would be as different as if you picked Iran and I picked Germany...

But at least once you pick a place you can start having an idea of what the look you're going for is.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 6

*Suggestion: When you save a shape save it as "YamataV1.0, YamataV1.1, YamataV1.2 - etc - etc - etc. (or something similar).

That way you can click between your saved, numbered shapes to see if your editing is giving you the desired result.
When you get to 20 saved shapes? Delete the oldest ten.

I will edit one single feature of a head, move the adjustment slider no more than 2 out of 100, then save/inspect.

Quite often I will incorporate body size data in shape file names too:
Eg: AveGaia170cm65bV54 <- "Name""Head type""Height""BoobSize""VersionNumber"

Don't even get me started on my deluxe Excel spreadsheet! ❤️ (for making head & body shapes), otherwise well never get out of here! 😅

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Minor thread necro, since it's a little less than a month.

But lelutka has two really good Asian heads now. One female and one male:

651541fac0b80496a446e723065c5465.jpg

I got Ryn on an alt, and am demoing it on a very different looking alt right now to see how far from that base look I can get and still look clearly Asian. Seems to be holding up well.

Also just found out than in the full purchase, there's a head where I can make the ears 100% vanish, so plan to demo ALL their female heads now for Pussycat as these are a LOT less 'GPU and script' heavy than what I currently use.

/Side rant for my all the Nekos out there:

People should really highlight that in their demo and advert images - that if the head can be used for a non human (ability to do unusual ears, eyes, teeth, or something else) - it's something some of us are constantly searching for... and to only find out AFTER I buy is why I didn't buy for so long...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.