Deploy plans for the week of 2020-09-28

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

No rolls are planned for the main channel this week.

Second Life RC:

No rolls are planned for the RC channels this week.

On Region Restarts

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators. Nothing beats turning it off and then on again ... once in a while.

As always please plan events around these maintenance windows. However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we're not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruptions.

• Thanks 6

A rare thing....I am NOT confused about this!  Regions will only be restrated if tey have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday or Wednesday, otherwise restarts might be triggered by Estate Managers...seems straightforward even to me!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

[...]  Regions will only be restrated if tey have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday or Wednesday [...]

I think it's more than that, Nuggy was restarted last Thursday and again today.
Part of the grid (lots of places where I go) hasn't been much stable the last couple days, at least.

[EDIT] Actually, Nuggy was restarted Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and today (I just checked)

[EDIT2] Monday, it had completed the 10 days cycle, so that was right, and Tuesday it was a rolling restart. I don't know why it was restarted Thursday and again today.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding info

The 10 day thing is normally Tuesday I believe.  I am still not clear what maintenance was scheduled for today.

I do have an explanation for what was happening in Blake this afternoon (EDT) ... we had requested that a couple of down sims in Blake be restarted (at about 11:30 SLT or thereabouts.  I gather that the CSR noticed a number of sims had not been restarted for 10 days and decided to do unscheduled restarts on all of them two, thus causing us to abandon our racing.

However this has nothing to do with whatever was started at 9 am SLT.

2 hours ago, JoyofRLC Acker said:

And we seem to have restarfts going on in Blake again today.  Does anybody know what is going on?

Perhaps. Some of us that do regular checks on large numbers of regions to see what condition they are in, tend to find quite the same pattern of issues recently - since the code changes in regard of crossings - which are different from the issues before those changes. Regions acting like they're "phasing" between restarting and running states, randomly accessible or not, vehicles stopping to work entirely upon entering, and failing to "escape", etc. These issues also seem to escalate with the amount of time the actual region is running. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of requests to support lately to restart sims and do a host change, while describing these same issues, and today I noticed the Linden that did a restart on the Blake on my request also decided to restart all the adjacent sims as well to make sure it'll be fine. In other cases, malfunctioning regions tend to be the same ones, producing the same issues again and again, a few days after they were restarted, and it stands for empty water regions as well, with no private parcels, so nothing like certain scripted objects causing issues. It keeps going on for weeks sometimes, and after several restarts, host changes, and whatever else LL can do with them, the issues apparently vanish from a specific region. My guess is that LL is actively on it, but not being explicit about it - just like they aren't about the group chat issues for example (maybe they are, on the relevant user group meetings which I don't attend, though) - so we just catch the cookie crumbs out of these interactions and statuspage posts.

• Lindens

Hi guys, regarding the status blog, this message is current generic one shown for scheduled maintenance, such as rolling restarts:

In progress - Scheduled maintenance is currently in progress. We will provide updates as necessary. 

I agree this is somewhat confusing when the maintenance "event" (rolling restarts) was canceled for this week.  I have brought this communication issue up with the product team.

Regarding region restarts this week, there are a few different reasons that regions can be restarted, outside of rolling restarts.  Aside from the automated restarts for regions with high uptime (described under "On Region Restarts"), the support team can also manually restart regions at their discretion.  The Blake Sea restart earlier today was one case of a manual restart, which was done to improve performance in the regions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.