Installation of new SL viewer version / update/ failure

Vihmakass

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

yes but long time ago and with dif. Windows and outcome wasnt good- nothing repaired, still nothing got worse too . That is why i ask here.

Mine account is yber bugged already - my blocked list comes and goes, my snapshots doesnt load into feed and stay in gallery, group chats more than 1-2 make me crach aso aso aso

Still full clean install has backfired for some users- so it is risky to do.

29 minutes ago, Vihmakass said:

Well, look at it this way .....

1.  If you back up (or rename) your preferences and chat folders, you can always retrieve them later if necessary.

2.  Your inventory is saved on the Linden Lab servers, so deleting the local cache will simply force the viewer to download a fresh copy on startuip.

3.  The clean install process is recommended by Linden Lab, Firestorm, and other support teams.  Quoting LL directly: "A clean install may help if there is an unusual issue affecting the Viewer user interface (UI), or if a Resident is having difficulty loading UI elements such as windows or menus. It can also be done to restore lost settings or return things to a default setup, if somehow the settings in the Viewer have changed or become unusuable. It doesn't usually hurt and can sometimes fix things that otherwise defy explanation."

4.   Your viewer is already not working.  What do you have to lose by replacing it completely?   😉

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vihmakass said:

yes but long time ago and with dif. Windows and outcome wasnt good- nothing repaired, still nothing got worse too . That is why i ask here.

Mine account is yber bugged already - my blocked list comes and goes, my snapshots doesnt load into feed and stay in gallery, group chats more than 1-2 make me crach aso aso aso

It's always worked for me and it does have an update to procedure for Win 10 so it must still be relevant.

• Like 1

This came after i logged off and tried log in again, so now i CANT log in at all

P.S. After that post my PC froze, I restarted it and made full checkup - all was ok, no viruses or weird stuff.

AND SL viewer managed finally install.

Edited by Vihmakass
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Vihmakass said:

AND SL viewer managed finally install.

Whew!  I'm glad it finally worked. 

It sounds to me as if you had something else going on with your computer.  I had a forced update of Windows 10 this past week, as I suspect most PC users did. One of the immediate side effects was that the LL viewer and Firestorm both lost my saved login information, so I had to re-enter them.  I'm always a little nervous when Microsoft does a massive upgrade because little things like that almost always happen -- and some of them aren't so little.  When you add a viewer update and God knows whatever things are constantly being "improved" under the hood, it's a wonder that we don't have more problems than we do.  The bright spot is that Linden Lab and the developers who support Firestorm and each of the other viewers have anticipate many of the ways that things can go wrong.  They've provided tools and procedures that almost always work.  You just have to know where to look for them.  And keep your fingers crossed.  😎

When asking a tech question where you are having unusual problems be sure to click the viewer's HELP->About... and include the info in your post. From it we can often see problems that seem unrelated but cause the symptom you are experiencing.

The only risk in a clean install is losing your chat logs and viewer settings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.