Reaching max daily limit to post

Horus Salubrius

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The other day I posted in Avatar asking for some help, which people generously responded to & a discussion formed.  Then suddenly I could no longer post & reply because I had "reached my maximum daily limit".   I am rather reluctant to post now if a discussion is cut off like that, even if it is for 24 hours that can stop the flow when you're in the middle of reading & responding.  So a question:  What is that daily limit ?     

13 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

The other day I posted in Avatar asking for some help, which people generously responded to & a discussion formed.  Then suddenly I could no longer post & reply because I had "reached my maximum daily limit".   I am rather reluctant to post now if a discussion is cut off like that, even if it is for 24 hours that can stop the flow when you're in the middle of reading & responding.  So a question:  What is that daily limit ?     

Never heard of it before but the forums did have a revamp this week.  It is possible as you are a newbie its something they put in to stop the spammers and once you stick around and post more in other threads you won't get that message again.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Horus Salubrius said:

As Cindy said, this is not something I've seen before and it "could" be something new with the latest changes rolled out.  However, in looking at your posting history this week, the most I see is 6 posts in a 24 hour period and 3 in an hour.  That sounds like some funky limits being triggered.

@Kristen Linden - Are there now some limits put in for new Forum accounts?  You don't have to tell us what the limits are -- I know you don't like to give specifics that people might try to figure out ways around.  However, it would be nice to know if limits of any kind are now in place (besides needing to wait 60 seconds between posts), so that we know how to answer questions from folks.

• Like 1

I agree that this is most likely the reason. It has been some massive spam attacks in the past.

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Never heard of it before but the forums did have a revamp this week.  It is possible as you are a newbie its something they put in to stop the spammers and once you stick around and post more in other threads you won't get that message again.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, in looking at your posting history this week, the most I see is 6 posts in a 24 hour period and 3 in an hour.  That sounds like some funky limits being triggered.

Yes, I didn't think I was posting that much given the complexity of the topic at hand.

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It is possible as you are a newbie its something they put in to stop the spammers and once you stick around and post more in other threads you won't get that message again.  

I sort of get the newbie angle but it also doesn't make much sense if you don't know when you've passed the rubicon & will then get locked out.   

I may have just used up 2 of my allowed daily contributions & haven't got back to the thread in question to respond !  😮 😉

1 minute ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I sort of get the newbie angle but it also doesn't make much sense if you don't know when you've passed the rubicon & will then get locked out.   

I may have just used up 2 of my allowed daily contributions & haven't got back to the thread in question to respond !  😮 😉

Instead of replying individually and upping your post count you could multiquote and make your replies count as one post only.  Or use the thanks reaction

• Like 1

I might be misremembering, but I think I got that "daily limit" message when I created an alt in response to something said here. That was years ago and I presumed the limit would lift as the account aged. I also presumed that the limit was an anti-spam measure. In the past, when we've been spammed, it's often been by accounts that were NOT brand new, but rather weeks or months old. Serious spammers are wily enough to create accounts well in advance of using them.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

wasn't like 500 post and you pretty much had everything, but like there were stages.. Like first 50 posts or something would open up something else ,then so many posts would open up something else..

I might be thinking of something else in one of the older versions.. I just remember there was some reason people were shooting for 500.. hehehe

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

wasn't like 500 post and you pretty much had everything, but like there were stages.. Like first 50 posts or something would open up something else ,then so many posts would open up something else..

I might be thinking of something else in one of the older versions.. I just remember there was some reason people were shooting for 500.. hehehe

500 posts earns you the right to change your forum title.

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

After 10 posts, your forum title changes from Newbie to Member. 

Maybe the post count is limited in some way before you hit that mark.

That restriction is for people who have just joined the forums and have few posts. This is because a spammer whom stall not be named. This has been in place for about 3 months I think?

Once you reach "Resident" level(You are currently "New Resident" level) content count, you should be no longer restricted, or at least, have a much higher limit.

As others have mentioned, the little hand on your forum avatar was added with the new Invision Community update to help this stand out to more people. While this is new, the restriction isn't. The limit for "New Resident" is 6 per 24 hours.

Worry not though, if you are active, that restriction will go away in no time!

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

And has something to do.with the little orange hand icon??

The orange hand seems to be related to how long since the forum account was created, rather than the number of posts that have been made.  I've seen accounts with only a couple of posts not have the orange hand, but only for accounts that are older than a few weeks or so.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

6 post limit every 24 hours ??    um... ok then

It's possibly setup as roles,  the forum I ran for years we had setup this way, to prevent spammers,  it kinda urked new people posting, but it stopped the BUY <MALE ENHANCEMENT> NOW spam and xrunner spam.     most forums have limits,  I've learned to live with them, hit a wall, wait for the wall to come back down.  rinse and repeat.    

Try it on reddit and you'll just keep racking up time.  right now, I'm at 24 mintues until I can post and all I posted was 4 messages to 4 different subreddits.

31 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

It's possibly setup as roles,  the forum I ran for years we had setup this way, to prevent spammers,  it kinda urked new people posting, but it stopped the BUY <MALE ENHANCEMENT> NOW spam and xrunner spam.     most forums have limits,  I've learned to live with them, hit a wall, wait for the wall to come back down.  rinse and repeat.    

Try it on reddit and you'll just keep racking up time.  right now, I'm at 24 mintues until I can post and all I posted was 4 messages to 4 different subreddits.

Some of us do get tired of beating our heads against brick walls. 🤭

Meaning, we all get tired of having to pay the price for those who just can't be decent human beings.

*mumbles something about two wrongs not making a right then wanders off

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:
22 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

6 post limit every 24 hours ??    um... ok then

I know I can post more than that so if that is the limit it must be for newbies

Yeah, that is pretty much what the whole thread has been about:  posting limits for new accounts.

I should maybe bring a few alts to the forums to see how much of it is based on number of posts versus time since forum account creation.

I have a few alts, older than a year, that have never posted on the forum - yet when I look up their profiles, they say Resident and not New Resident. However, that could simply be related to the forum account creation date compare to the forum software update date.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.