Borked, borked and more borked

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It would be nice to have answers on what is going on with the group chats not working right, some comments from the Lindens would be nice on what is going on and how long we are going to have to deal with the chats being borked. I totally hate the idea of having to use Discord as a second chat platform for SL in general, so annoying. Feel free to post your rants about it here.. this is getting old and I would love some answers..

• Like 1

@Gem Oxygen You are certainly one of many that would like this issue to be dealt with prompty.  However, it is NOT straightforward and if you look on the Grid Status Page you will see that LL ARE working on it.  Beyond that rather bald statement we have no further information, as far as I know, but the fix will not be quick to come, I'm guessing.

I can't remember a time when Group chats did work reliably. My sailing group moved to using an external server to relay messages to people wearing an earpiece in a similar way to the GridTalkie at least 5 years ago because of group chat regularly failing when we needed it.

I know there is more noise about it recently,  and perhaps things are a little bit worse than the bad it was at before, but the answer we have always been given is groups were set up to be for land management not for chatting with groups of hundreds or thousands of people.

It is good it is on the grid status page now and they say they think they have a solution even if they warn it might take some time to implement. That is progress, but I would warn the "bit" in "however the fix is going to take a bit of time to implement", is likely to be an example of understatement and the fix could take months to realise.

These have been my recent experiences:

Group chats are far worse than I remember them ever being.  Yes, there has always been chat lag and out of order chat issues, especially with large groups.
This has been deteriorating for some months now.  You only have to spend some time on a large support group where this is happening to find that out.

It isn't affecting all large groups, some are luckier than others.  I have seen this on a handful I am involved with.

Some of the problems that didn't happen for me before are:

1. Groups not opening when new chat happens.
2. Groups not staying open with the message "Cannot initiate chat with group XXXXX" .  This seems to happen when opening a group chat or even after it has been open for a while.
3. Very frequent messages about "messages may not be delivered if they don't appear in the next few minutes".  Reposting has started to climb into the half a dozen times for me whereas at first it was the odd one or two reposts that were necessary.
4. Posts from others being eaten but apparently some people see them.

Before these problems started, under "normal" chat lag conditions (that we had since I can remember) there was just a minute or two between posting and seeing the post appear.  I never saw the messages about "messages not being delivered".  I did used to see out of order chat for people who post multiple times quickly.  I don't see much out of order chat at the moment though but that could be because of the other problems masking that.

At the moment there seems to be short periods of time where things seem to be better and then people start posting and they turn bad again quickly.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
ninja numbering edit, added missing word for clarity.
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:51 AM, Gem Oxygen said:

It would be nice to have answers on what is going on with the group chats not working right, some comments from the Lindens would be nice on what is going on and how long we are going to have to deal with the chats being borked.

I have to say I am curious why it's going to take a bit of time before the fix is implemented. It's now been a month or so since the cause has supposedly been identified. That suggests the fix is dependent upon something else happening as well. Or first. Hmm...

Otherwise agreed. It's certainly another adventure in borked, borked and more borked. 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:36 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

These have been my recent experiences:

Group chats are far worse than I remember them ever being.  Yes, there has always been chat lag and out of order chat issues, especially with large groups.
This has been deteriorating for some months now.  You only have to spend some time on a large support group where this is happening to find that out.

It isn't affecting all large groups, some are luckier than others.  I have seen this on a handful I am involved with.

Some of the problems that didn't happen for me before are:

1. Groups not opening when new chat happens.
2. Groups not staying open with the message "Cannot initiate chat with group XXXXX" .  This seems to happen when opening a group chat or even after it has been open for a while.
3. Very frequent messages about "messages may not be delivered if they don't appear in the next few minutes".  Reposting has started to climb into the half a dozen times for me whereas at first it was the odd one or two reposts that were necessary.
4. Posts from others being eaten but apparently some people see them.

Before these problems started, under "normal" chat lag conditions (that we had since I can remember) there was just a minute or two between posting and seeing the post appear.  I never saw the messages about "messages not being delivered".  I did used to see out of order chat for people who post multiple times quickly.  I don't see much out of order chat at the moment though but that could be because of the other problems masking that.

At the moment there seems to be short periods of time where things seem to be better and then people start posting and they turn bad again quickly.

All of this. 

Normally I would just tick the 'like' on a post to show my agreement. I am not fond of repeating all the same points or just posting for the sake of posting.  But this has become so bad , that groups are barely usable.  I moderate and help in a very large group, trying to answer questions that I cannot see, but someone else can see...as my messages show for some and not others.....and on and on.  It's become almost comical , and most definitely cluster duck :P

Yes, group chat has always had it's problems and annoying as they were....I would welcome that back any day over trying to deal with what ever is going on now.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.