Why can’t I cross oceans?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

55 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Why are we not allowed to cross the water that separates areas? Was there a time in SL’s early years when it was possible to leave areas by flying over the ocean and sea instead of teleporting? I’m just curious.

In general you can fly over any region/parcel, unless it had the access list running, what would you make bounce off at the ban lines.
What you cant do, is to fly over the voids (thats where you cant even see water ripples). Red marked. There is no region, nothing. its literally not existent.
But you can teleport or go around that blind spot. blue marked.
image.thumb.png.5b507bf6959ffccc881b785f2995f727.png

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

In general you can fly over any region/parcel, unless it had the access list running, what would you make bounce off at the ban lines.
What you cant do, is to fly over the voids (thats where you cant even see water ripples). Red marked. There is no region, nothing. its literally not existent.
But you can teleport or go around that blind spot. blue marked.
image.thumb.png.5b507bf6959ffccc881b785f2995f727.png

Many places like London City I cannot leave by the water. My avatar is stopped by an invisible barrier whenever I venture far out into the water. I believe it didn't used to be this way when I played in 2008 but I might be misremembering. I want to know why this limitation was put in place.

The explanation you have been given is exactly what you are running in to and no, you could not ever cross through the void areas between Regions (outside of some sort of serious bug).

That is not actual water you see off of such places - it is visual masking for the fact that nothing is actually there.

ETA: To put it another way - there are no actual oceans in Second Life. Places like Blake Sea are created using varied Regions.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

This might improve after "cloud uplift". Regions that are not always on may become possible.

There are some holes that really should be filled in. Here are a few. Any others?

• Sansara to Bellessaria. West of Ruthenium, two to four more water sims are needed, so that you can get somewhere from Bellessaria. You can sail to Sansara, but can't get very far once you get there.
  • Southeast Zindra. At least one region is needed east of Harriot, and preferably four regions in a line. The world just drops off and ends there, with four roads dead-ending into nothingness.

edgeofzindra.thumb.jpg.79db44a09e4106793f2a6f85267c208b.jpg

East of Harriot, south of Keranio. The world just ends here.  The Zindra project clearly just - stopped. 40m above sea level. Few places in SL have such an ugly edge. I wonder what the history is here.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.