Disappearance of the name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am certain that you mean your DISPLAY name., not your user name.

Your display name disappearing is not related to you entering a group, that is mere coincidence.

You most likely used fancy characters for your display name, and one or more of them are ones that SL does not like and therefore removes.

Next time, just enter the name in normal letters, I promise that will stick.

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I am certain that you mean your DISPLAY name., not your user name.

Your display name disappearing is not related to you entering a group, that is mere coincidence.

You most likely used fancy characters for your display name, and one or more of them are ones that SL does not like and therefore removes.

Next time, just enter the name in normal letters, I promise that will stick.

The only thing that changes when you join a group is the group tag displayed OVER both user name and display name if you use one.

I'm sure you must be talking about your Display Name. At the moment, your Display Name is the same as your Account Name. i.e. Display name = cherrysee; Account Name = cherrysee. Over the last month, you have changed your Display Name several times, successfully it seems:- 

cherrysee changed their display name to Cherrysee.
about 3 hours ago

cherrysee changed their display name to 𝓥𝓸𝓷 𝓓𝓲𝓮𝓵.
about 16 hours ago

cherrysee changed their display name to Cherrysee.
7 days ago

cherrysee changed their display name to ღ ϑʘή .
7 days ago

cherrysee changed their display name to ღ ϑʘή 𝕯ɪəɭ ღ.
8 days ago

cherrysee changed their display name to ღ ϑʘήɗɪəɭ ღ.
about 1 month ago

cherrysee changed their display name to დ𝓥𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓲𝓮𝓵დ.
about 1 month ago

You can only change your Display Name once every seven days. Was one or more of the most recent attempts done in less than 7 days? If so, it would not have worked. (It can take up to 24 hours for the change to propagate throughout all of SL's different systems, so you might not see the change everywhere for a little while.) You can, however, reset your Display name at any time, which will cause it to revert to your Account name. Maybe this is how the last change became "cherrysee" for both Display Name and Account Name?

Looking at the Display Name changes you have been making, you've been trying to change it too soon after the previous change (7 day rule).

Edited by Odaks
Clarification

Ayer como pueden ver puse a Von Diel, y ahí se veía por encima de la cabeza de mi avi, cuando me uní a un grupo en el momento en que desapareció, This morning aún estaba en mi perfil, pero ahora solo miré y también ha desaparecido del perfil,the name change of 3 hours ago and the one of 7 days ago were the two times that I have disappeared, von diel disappeared

Edited by Cherrysee

3 hours ago, Odaks said:

cherrysee changed their display name to 𝓥𝓸𝓷 𝓓𝓲𝓮𝓵.
about 16 hours ago

I see the little boxes instead of whatever you chose for your display name.  This means LL is probably tossing out your name because of the font used.

about 1 month ago

same thing here for me.  Just boxes.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cherrysee said:

Hello everyone, last week I changed my name but when I entered a group it disappeared, yesterday I changed it again and again the same problem, when I entered another group it disappeared again, someone knows why the Name????

It used to take up to an hour for the server to reject the character(s). A recent change will now reject it within seconds. Avoid the Unicode spaghetti when using Display Names. 😉 

See BUG-11555 Setting certain characters in Display Name results in DN changing twice within minutes and resulting DN changes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 days ago

I see one box on this one which probably causes the whole thing to be tossed out.  Not that anyone could decipher it anyway.  I never saw the point of having a display name no one can read.  

5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I see the little boxes instead of whatever you chose for your display name.  This means LL is probably tossing out your name because of the font used.

about 1 month ago

same thing here for me.  Just boxes.

4 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

8 days ago

I see one box on this one which probably causes the whole thing to be tossed out.  Not that anyone could decipher it anyway.  I never saw the point of having a display name no one can read.  

And now that I'm logged in on my computer, I do see the names.  So I'd see the names if I typed using that font also.  On my phone, it showed as boxes which makes sense then that LL is tossing them out.  

5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

LL is probably tossing out your name because of the font used.

I can see now that the rapid name changes are caused by LL's system rejecting the chosen name change, not by cherrysee doing it manually. It looks like the auto-rejection effectively does a reset, i.e. resets it to the Account Name.

Like you, @RowanMinx, I cannot understand why anyone would think that using un-readable characters in their Display Name was a good idea.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.