Jump to content

ARGH ! Going somewhat crazy with the new avis


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

Need a hug?

lol - you're not gonna want to hug this monstrosity.  I am just running around in circles here repeatedly adding & wearing, getting nowhere & getting frustrated.  I have managed to keep my old head with a new body (couldn't do that with the Legacy demo) but now I have no eyes, the LeLutka eye are there but rolled in the back of my head somewhere, & of course the skin tones are way off.  And I don't really like this body.  Suppose I'll have to set up a Flickr to get some pics up here.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a good tutorial on @Skell Dagger's blog: Virtual Bloke  Near the top click on the link to "Noob Dude: A Style 101 for the Second Life Male Avatar". Part 2 covers the things you want to know.

Look up Youtube videos on how to put together an avatar. It's really easy. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I have been demo'ing some bodies & this morning managed to get some heads on, but they are bright red.

Bright red means that either you have activated BoM (Bakes on Mesh) on them, or that they have BoM enabled by default. BoM is a means by which your underlying system layers will 'bake' or appear onto any mesh items such as body parts that you're wearing.

To fix the redness, look in the Worn tab of your inventory and detach any alpha layers (inventory icon is a white t-shirt with a pale grey grid on it) that you're wearing.

Be aware that - depending on which system skin you have on underneath your mesh - you might look a bit (or a lot!) weird. The best way to tell if you're wearing a very old system skin is to look at your mesh toes. If the textures on them look terrible - distorted toenails smeared halfway up your toes - then it's an old system skin. You're old enough to remember that the old system feet were like paddles, so the textures that worked on those are not going to work on mesh toes.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

lol - you're not gonna want to hug this monstrosity.  I am just running around in circles here repeatedly adding & wearing, getting nowhere & getting frustrated.  I have managed to keep my old head with a new body (couldn't do that with the Legacy demo) but now I have no eyes, the LeLutka eye are there but rolled in the back of my head somewhere, & of course the skin tones are way off.  And I don't really like this body.  Suppose I'll have to set up a Flickr to get some pics up here.  

You can drag images into the bottom of the reply box here on the forum, where it says 'drag files here to attach'. No need for a Flickr. As long as the files are less than 4MB in total (per post) you can upload them directly from your computer. Since you're demoing heads and bodies (and may, therefore, possibly be naked right now) please ensure the images are PG in nature, so as not to get them deleted by the moderators. Mind you, having said that, you did mention being a Ken doll, so possibly that's less of a concern at the moment ;)

With regard to the heads and bodies: each one works slightly differently, so they all need separate and specific advice. You mention that you've kept your "old head" but you also mention that you have Lelutka eyes. Do you mean you're using a system head with Lelutka eyes, or that you're still wearing your original system shape with a Lelutka head and eyes? Clarification is key here.

If you let us know which body and head combination you're currently trying, we can give specific advice to get that combination up and running so you can check it over more thoroughly.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

lol - you're not gonna want to hug this monstrosity.  I am just running around in circles here repeatedly adding & wearing, getting nowhere & getting frustrated.  I have managed to keep my old head with a new body (couldn't do that with the Legacy demo) but now I have no eyes, the LeLutka eye are there but rolled in the back of my head somewhere, & of course the skin tones are way off.  And I don't really like this body.  Suppose I'll have to set up a Flickr to get some pics up here.  

Aw, I'm sure you look adorable!  Trust me, A lot of us had the same feelings you have dealing with each update.  You're just doing it all at one time.  First we did mesh bodies (before BOM), then we moved on to heads.  Lastly was the whole BOM thing.  Trying to do it all at once is a daunting task and I commend you for keeping your sense of humor.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I have managed to keep my old head with a new body (couldn't do that with the Legacy demo) but now I have no eyes, the LeLutka eye are there but rolled in the back of my head somewhere, & of course the skin tones are way off.  And I don't really like this body.  Suppose I'll have to set up a Flickr to get some pics up here.  

With the Legacy Swimmer Shape, you don't need a head.  Trust me on that.  lol  I want to marry him.  

Awwwwwwwww, you will get it figured out.  I think it takes me about a month to get a basic avatar I really love but that includes getting the right AO and dance animations.  So, I give myself about a month to have an avatar I really want to start dressing and I have my skin, my hair and my basic animations, et al.  You'll get there!  

EDIT:  And once you get some basic starter clothes you can make outfits where you can change back and forth with just a click.  It's the little shirt icon on the bottom of your screen.  You can save your whole outfit there.  Keep your HUDS on when you make an outfit, that way you don't have to go looking for your HUD in case you want to change colors.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Horus Salubrius Check out Gyazo. It is free program that will allow you to basically screengrab, and uploads it automatically to their servers . From there you can copy and paste link into a post.  The free version is sort of limited in that you have a history of 10 pictures, but as long as you have link addresses , you don't totally lose the ability to see the other older pictures.  So no need for Flickr yet unless you have an arty "De/Construction of an Avatar" project in mind.

And like Skell said, we have to be careful about what we post here so when you take a picture of your avatar try to keep it from the waist up. Also don't forget that picture of your worn folder too! Sometimes its easier to diagnosis what is going on if we can get a basic idea of your attachments and wearables. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

You can drag images into the bottom of the reply box here on the forum, where it says 'drag files here to attach'.

hmm..... bottom of my reply box says 'insert image from url' - I couldn't paste an image file, but I'll try dragging one ...and that'll be a no

I'm coming back to y'all, what I am doing atm is running around gathering up all the demos rather than getting one, trying that, getting another, etc.  I just got griefed at Niramyth (ah, the good ole days).  I'm sure I have something in my inventory that deals with griefers but I will play nicely nicely.  And now I have reached the maximum number of posts per day for this forum (really ? what's up with that ?)  

Edited by Horus Salubrius
because max posts reached
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

hmm..... bottom of my reply box says 'insert image from url' - I couldn't paste an image file, but I'll try dragging one ...and that'll be a no

I'm coming back to y'all, what I am doing atm is running around gathering up all the demos rather than getting one, trying that, getting another, etc.  I just got griefed at Niramyth (ah, the good ole days).  I'm sure I have something in my inventory that deals with griefers but I will play nicely nicely.  And now I have reached the maximum number of posts per day for this forum (really ? what's up with that ?)  

/me gently takes the Niramyth demo from your hands and places it in the trash.  You'll thank me later.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

hmm..... bottom of my reply box says 'insert image from url' - I couldn't paste an image file, but I'll try dragging one ...and that'll be a no

I'm coming back to y'all, what I am doing atm is running around gathering up all the demos rather than getting one, trying that, getting another, etc.  I just got griefed at Niramyth (ah, the good ole days).  I'm sure I have something in my inventory that deals with griefers but I will play nicely nicely.  And now I have reached the maximum number of posts per day for this forum (really ? what's up with that ?)  

Maybe they put a limit on newer posters?

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very odd. I could see where they might limit the amount of posts you make within a certain time frame such as minutes or seconds to thwart spammers. Perhaps it is an issue with the new system they recently migrated over to last week. I would give it sometime , and try again. Rowan has an excellent point too and  it would make sense, but it would nice to have some clarification from an Admin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 12:10 AM, Horus Salubrius said:
On 9/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, Jordan Whitt said:

Pfft amateur!  😁

*pats her 142,258 items in 26,333 folders*

ha !  how do y'all organise that ??

It's the 26,334th folder that does the trick. 😛

 

On your search for a new avatar setup.

Many will tell you the advice I'm giving now will just make it more confusing. But get this wrong now and it's just going to cost you later... these are the 'fundamentals' of finding the right goods:

 

Do everything with your 'LOD' setting turned DOWN to 2.5. If daring try even 2. but 2.5 is good enough to see what stuff will break when cammed out and is thus shoddy goods.
- any CSR or merchant notecard says to set it to 4 or more, they're... I'll be polite and just say wrong. It's been widespread knowledge since 2014 that LOD 4 is wrong. It's just a way to heat up your GPU and burn out your computer...

rendervolumeLOD.png.4760784729600ad4b9f7c8f0a16cfb35.png

Some things to keep in mind while demoing but before shelling out the cash...

examine script count and complexity, and make sure things that matter are bento.

For scripts, the advice is to just keep it as low as you can. If you're going over 2-3mbs, something is wrong... If you can get under 500kbs, you're doing amazing - especially given how some top brands keep loading us down with un-removable script bloat...

Scripts.thumb.png.b3caff8d7aadc975bf127701ff09d1af.png

Key bento elements: head, hands, intimate parts, animations (AO).

Try hard to keep your base look's complexity score under 40,000, and most of your outfits under 80,000. For now, in demoing bodies and heads - just make sure none of them ALONE add more than 10,000 to your complexity.

ComplexityFirestorm.thumb.png.c7dae1b5a99e0b143c9926942c3bd489.png

 

And then... think about avatar proportions when going for your shape:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 1:20 PM, Horus Salubrius said:

You have probably been going over & over this already, indeed I have read a few threads.  I tried today with some demos & it seems I have no idea how this stuff works now compared to a decade ago (not surprising I suppose).  I couldn't get anything to work properly & spent an age trying to get back to my original avatar (I still haven't managed that, but what I have will do for now).  I would really like to take advantage of the new avatars & stop looking like a pixel with paddle feet but I have no idea how and/or where to begin.   The learning curve is doing my head in tbh !  Are there folks out there that will help a guy out for a fee ?   Is there a more appropriate place to look for such a service ?  ..... and don't get me started on the 8.627 items in 650 folders in my inventory - I 'reckon I should burn the lot & start over !!  

Hahaha try 104, 000 items in inventory.......ackkkk!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

You can drag images into the bottom of the reply box here on the forum, where it says 'drag files here to attach'. No need for a Flickr. As long as the files are less than 4MB in total (per post) you can upload them directly from your computer. Since you're demoing heads and bodies (and may, therefore, possibly be naked right now) please ensure the images are PG in nature, so as not to get them deleted by the moderators. Mind you, having said that, you did mention being a Ken doll, so possibly that's less of a concern at the moment ;)

With regard to the heads and bodies: each one works slightly differently, so they all need separate and specific advice. You mention that you've kept your "old head" but you also mention that you have Lelutka eyes. Do you mean you're using a system head with Lelutka eyes, or that you're still wearing your original system shape with a Lelutka head and eyes? Clarification is key here.

If you let us know which body and head combination you're currently trying, we can give specific advice to get that combination up and running so you can check it over more thoroughly.

Be thanksful youre not wandering around looking like a Ruth!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Horus Salubrius If your newly-uploaded profile pic on the forum represents the 'bright red head' that you're seeing inworld, then you have a different problem to contend with. If the bright red head is - as per your image - showing with BAKED_HEAD text on it then you're using an out-of-date viewer to access Second Life; one that does not have Bakes on Mesh support.

Whichever viewer you're using, I suggest going to their download page and getting the latest version for your operating system, then installing that one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

@Skell Dagger It's the SL viewer & I installed a few days ago so I assume it's the most up to date.

Which head and version are you demoing in that image? Is that what you're seeing inworld, with the BAKED_HEAD text, or is the head just red all over without text? The only other reason why you might be seeing BAKED_HEAD text on it - since you're using a current viewer - is because you're either:

  • wearing a head that hasn't had the BAKE textures updated (LL changed the textures quite some time ago) OR
  • using the old Omega BoM relay (there are two in the store; one of them has those older BAKE textures that no longer work)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Which head and version are you demoing in that image? Is that what you're seeing inworld, with the BAKED_HEAD text, or is the head just red all over without text? The only other reason why you might be seeing BAKED_HEAD text on it - since you're using a current viewer - is because you're either:

  • wearing a head that hasn't had the BAKE textures updated (LL changed the textures quite some time ago) OR
  • using the old Omega BoM relay (there are two in the store; one of them has those older BAKE textures that no longer work)

With the generous inworld help of a few of you - you know who you are 💗 & 🕊️ - I have manged to get a head & body together that looks respectable & played around with the sliders to get a shape I like.   I went with the Legacy & a Lelutka head, but am now going to get a Gianni & Catwa & try it all over again to get familiar with how they all work.  Hopefully the more I use it the more I can understand it !!    The save outfit thingie is a god-send, I don't remember that being an option before - so easy to switch back & forth, used to take forever to change clothes & attachments.   Now for hair & clothes .....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the legacy/lelutka combo as that's what I wear.  

Yes, the more you use it, the easier it becomes.  It took me a few days of pulling my hair out to get it straight.  

Might I suggest checking out https://www.seraphimsl.com/.  It lists all current events going on and it's a great way to sample different brands in one place.  There are several events now for men only or at least the majority of items are geared toward men.

Happy Shopping, Horus!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So this was unexpected ... took off the clothes the legacy body & there are "blank" bits all over the body, on the chest like a vest & the calves are gone - so back into the HUD to fill those in ... is this a thing ?    I wish I could put a photo in here, but it will not let me (I use lightshot, which works inworld) - maybe that is another newbie restriction ?  Anyway ... is this something that happens with putting clothes on & off ?   It has completely freaked me out !! 

So I have it back, but I had to click it twice - grey it out & then fill it in again - jeez I wish I could put pics up .... imma try that ga.whatever.you.folks.use next.

 

& that worked with the gyazo  

21a862357ebce4103c4d53b120e97960.png

Edited by Horus Salubrius
to add more
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

took off the clothes the legacy body & there are "blank" bits all over the body, on the chest like a vest & the calves are gone - so back into the HUD to fill those in ... is this a thing ?

Welcome to auto-hide, which can be a pain in the proverbial, especially when combined with lag ;)

Some clothing items feature scripts that will automatically hide sections of your body, to save you from having to manually do it on the body's HUD. However, sometimes they don't quite re-show the body when you take the clothing off, and if you add multiple clothing items each with auto-hide it can get confusing. While it's a useful tool to have, it can often be annoying. And - while Legacy is a gorgeous looking body - in my experience it's one of the slowest to respond to things like that.

If you're using Legacy you can try out the alpha export option that it has. I haven't used it in a long time, but from memory: get your alpha cuts all set up, then click ‘export’ on the HUD. You’ll get a popup asking you to enter a name for the export, so do that (I named mine after the outfit I was wearing). Click OK and a second later a box will rez in front of you (named whatever you just called it). Take it into inventory, and add it to your outfit folder. Next time you wear that outfit the alpha cuts will be automatically set.

Gianni works differently with alpha saving. It has several save slots on the bottom of its HUD that allows you to save and re-load different alpha cut combinations.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

If you're using Legacy you can try out the alpha export option that it has. I haven't used it in a long time, but from memory: get your alpha cuts all set up, then click ‘export’ on the HUD. You’ll get a popup asking you to enter a name for the export, so do that (I named mine after the outfit I was wearing). Click OK and a second later a box will rez in front of you (named whatever you just called it). Take it into inventory, and add it to your outfit folder. Next time you wear that outfit the alpha cuts will be automatically set.

Gianni works differently with alpha saving. It has several save slots on the bottom of its HUD that allows you to save and re-load different alpha cut combinations.

phew - so it is a thing & not some fundamental screw up on my part.   Why wasn't I warned ?!?  🤪😄  Can't wait for the next fun surprise. 

I think I get what you're saying re: the alpha & export, I wondered what that export was for, so I will give that a go.  I have prolly reached my post limit for the day so I won't be able to respond further - but cheers !   

@Skell Dagger hmm.. so it says no hidden object to export so I'm thinking - an outfit will always hide the same parts so I was thinking - take the outfit off, then export the alpha but I can't seem to get beyond the dialogue box which asks me to name it, I do so & submit & then it doesn't do anything else & the box is still sitting there asking me to name it.   yikes ... lol maybe it's a Legacy thing ? 

Edited by Horus Salubrius
to add more
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

phew - so it is a thing & not some fundamental screw up on my part.   Why wasn't I warned ?!?  🤪😄  Can't wait for the next fun surprise. 

I think I get what you're saying re: the alpha & export, I wondered what that export was for, so I will give that a go.  I have prolly reached my post limit for the day so I won't be able to respond further - but cheers !   

@Skell Dagger hmm.. so it says no hidden object to export so I'm thinking - an outfit will always hide the same parts so I was thinking - take the outfit off, then export the alpha but I can't seem to get beyond the dialogue box which asks me to name it, I do so & submit & then it doesn't do anything else & the box is still sitting there asking me to name it.   yikes ... lol maybe it's a Legacy thing ? 

But the surprises are half the fun!

When you take off something that has used the auto hide, go to the alpha tab on the HUD and hit the little arrow/circle icon under the pic of the body.  That resets all of them instead of having to hit each body part separately.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

When you take off something that has used the auto hide, go to the alpha tab on the HUD and hit the little arrow/circle icon under the pic of the body.  That resets all of them instead of having to hit each body part separately.

Well that is just too easy.  

2951a8b014598d1e0d15f8de6235ba8b.jpg

This is what I have managed so far with the clothes supplied with the avi & some old bits from my inventory which obvs still work.  I've come across sweaters not working with jeans so dressing these guys is gonna be trickier.  slowly ... slowly ....   

 

@RowanMinxomg - lol - and now here's another thing ... animations make bits of your skin show through the clothes (at least the ones I am currently wearing).  Is there a work around for that or is it just a matter of fining some looser fitting trousers ?   I suppose a dark legging underneath would do the trick ...  the surprises are coming thick & fast !! 

Edited by Horus Salubrius
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...