PC freezing

Jatar Winger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

today when i logged in using Firestorm, I was able to move and to teleport but about five minutes into the game my pc froze up. cnt-alt-del had no effect and there was not a whirling symbol but just a cursor arrow and a frozen screen with no way to get out except to power down the computer. 
Thinking it might be the Firestorm viewer i downloaded the latest Firestorm with the same results. I then down loaded and ran the Second Life Viewer and had the same results.  I tried with an alt avatar with the same results. I have not had any problems with others games so I surmise it must be Second Life itself. How do I submit a ticket? I do not seem to find the place for that.

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Jatar Winger said:

How do I submit a ticket? I do not seem to find the place for that.

it will be a (faster) first step to open your viewer, and copy/paste your system info from the help menu here on the forums.
If there's something with the settings it will be pointed at by the many experienced user-helpers.
(a ticket can take up several days, and based on what membership, not handled at all)

On 9/22/2020 at 4:37 AM, Jatar Winger said:

today when i logged in using Firestorm, I was able to move and to teleport but about five minutes into the game my pc froze up. cnt-alt-del had no effect and there was not a whirling symbol but just a cursor arrow and a frozen screen with no way to get out except to power down the computer. 
Thinking it might be the Firestorm viewer i downloaded the latest Firestorm with the same results. I then down loaded and ran the Second Life Viewer and had the same results.  I tried with an alt avatar with the same results. I have not had any problems with others games so I surmise it must be Second Life itself. How do I submit a ticket? I do not seem to find the place for that.

might be some background file starting up on your pc in the services, if that file is takeing to much memory then your pc will lock, and firestorm takes a lot of memory, i would have a look and shut down non eesential files try dissableing firewall, and virus checker, sl is pretty safe try swictching the firewall to allow incoming and qoutgoing conections, also clear cach and defrag fegular, hope this helps good luck

I have had computers do that.  One had a failing SATA controller on the motherboard.  The others had Mushkin SSDs in them.  I replaced the Mushkin SSDs with Samsung SSDs and had no more trouble.  This was some years ago.  I am not saying all Mushkins are bad, but, the 3 I bought certainly were!

All 4 machines would freeze with the last rendered frame on screen.  I had to power cycle them to get them going again.  Interestingly enough, the ones with Mushkin SSDs in them would recover if I power cycled JUST the SSD.

Edited by Ardy Lay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.