Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Quinn Morani

An Observation on Character

Recommended Posts


Storm Clarence wrote:

Why then are so many 'characters' criticized for what they post in this forum.  I have read more character assassinations in this forum than any place in-world.  The SL forum is mostly a sense of RP - we present the character of our choosing and then write really serious opinions at the direction of other RP characters.  

Storm, you have me curious. Do you really think that all or even most of us who post here are playing a role? That we are pre-selecting a 'character' to portray and then carefully constructing our posts to reflect that character's presumed viewpoint? I think that might possibly be true of a fair amount of people in SL inworld, but I've always thought of the Forums as a place where we got just a bit more RL'ish, where we talked 'out of character', if you will. Talked more like us.

I know you have started a lot of threads that were just Storm having fun with a thesis (some of which were very amusing) but I've never taken what you say when you are just making responses to be some kind of faked opinion. I frankly find that hard to believe.

As for character assassinations here, I can't agree. I've had some pretty intense discussions in this forum and in the GD forum. Outright arguments even. I have even gotten dinged here for attacking someone for an issue completely unrelated to the thread in which I made the attack. I don't see that as character assassination. Some people just aren't going to like some other people. When that happens there will often be things said in a very negative way. I think it is up to all of us to judge for ourselves how we feel about the people involved.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a perfect example of some RP in the Forum on Quinn's thread in Favorite Destinations.  It may feature a destination but it is all RP.  That is an overt example of RP.  Then there is the example when someone takes an opinion 'for sake of argument'.  Even when it is not designated such, it is still a form of RP.  And none of these examples sit in the RP subfolder nor do they need to, in my opinion.  The forum should be a place where we can freely express ourselves in whatever form that takes (within the guidelines, of course).

I was never more surprised with the replies I received in my Career Woman thread.  Even off the thread, there was at least one comment from a then prolific poster.  But, that is alright, it was RP and I did not take it seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:

There is a perfect example of some RP in the Forum on Quinn's thread in Favorite Destinations.  It may feature a destination but it is all RP.  That is an overt example of RP.  Then there is the example when someone takes an opinion 'for sake of argument'.  Even when it is not designated such, it is still a form of RP.  And none of these examples sit in the RP subfolder nor do they need to, in my opinion.  The forum should be a place where we can freely express ourselves in whatever form that takes (within the guidelines, of course).

Well the thread in 'Destinations' is clearly make-believe and in that respect it somewhat resembles some of Storm's that I made reference to earlier, as for example the search for a bride, or confessions of a serial heart-breaker.

I guess I can see how taking a view merely for the sake of argument might be considered RP, and I think there are people who enjoy doing that. I just was trying to say that I don't believe that most of us who post here are 'making up' our opinions, and that's how I read the comment.

For the record, that 'Destinations' thread isn't Quinn's although it would not be any good without her contributions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ethics! I declare this thread unethical due to you all not paying attention tomore important things. You might all have skills to do Virtual Volunteering, heck knows I have not got enough and I can't! So...you are all unethical and a failure because you post here and people starve in other countries! Why are you not improving your vocab on freerice.com!!! Huh? Wait, I forgot about that site to....I am even maybe eating rice tonight as well!! Surely I should have been thinking about that and deleted this post and went to learn new words and help peple get rice!!!

YOur ethics teacher will never see an ethical student at this rate, so they really shouldn't even teach it!! But, I guess they are unethical so....what else can we expect from them but to carry on! Everyone just keeps on keeping on, but if I am not taking into account the sort of inertia that culture and society has....ultimatly it is the word ETHICS that is unethical....it should be shuned out of usage till it dies and a set of more specific and achievable words be used to replace this vauge horrible beast of a word! /me rips a page out of the dictoinary and feeds it to the hedgehogs.....wiat......now they might die....damn, even in it's death it hurts the world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Storm Clarence wrote:

Why then are so many 'characters' criticized for what they post in this forum.  I have read more character assassinations in this forum than any place in-world.  The SL forum is mostly a sense of RP - we present the character of our choosing and then write really serious opinions at the direction of other RP characters.  

Storm, you have me curious. Do you really think that all or even most of us who post here are playing a role? That we are pre-selecting a 'character' to portray and then carefully constructing our posts to reflect that character's presumed viewpoint? I think that might possibly be true of a fair amount of people in SL inworld, but I've always thought of the Forums as a place where we got just a bit more RL'ish, where we talked 'out of character', if you will. Talked more like us.

I know you have started a lot of threads that were just Storm having fun with a thesis (some of which were very amusing) but I've never taken what you say when you are just making responses to be some kind of faked opinion. I frankly find that hard to believe.

 

This concept of RP in the forum merits further discussion, I think. I had an interesting conversation about it the other day with someone who has been reading this thread but has not posted to it. Borrowing some of what I said in that conversation, in general I'm not opposed to anyone maintaining the illusion of an SL RP "character" in the forum if that is who they choose for us to see, provided that it's not for the purpose of deliberately hurting or confusing other people. I agree very much with Dillon in that I don't believe that most posters here actually do that, but I also think it's their prerogative if they do. It wouldn't surprise me that the many ways people use SL (including for RP), might be modeled in a forum about SL.

 


Dillon Levenque wrote:

 

As for character assassinations
here
, I can't agree. I've had some pretty intense discussions in this forum and in the GD forum. Outright arguments even. I have even gotten dinged here for attacking someone for an issue completely unrelated to the thread in which I made the attack. I don't see that as character assassination. Some people just aren't going to like some other people. When that happens there will often be things said in a very negative way. I think it is up to all of us to judge for ourselves how we feel about the people involved.

 

Here is where I have to respectfully disagree. Not in this new forum where the moderators have done a good job keeping such attacks out of the conversation, but the old GD forum certainly saw its share of character assassination. Heated debate and personality clashes are normal, but in the GD it got very personal and downright nasty at times. That part of the old forum, I don't miss at all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Poenald Palen wrote:

Ethics! I declare this thread unethical due to you all not paying attention tomore important things. You might all have skills to do Virtual Volunteering, heck knows I have not got enough and I can't! So...you are all unethical and a failure because you post here and people starve in other countries! Why are you not improving your vocab on freerice.com!!! Huh? Wait, I forgot about that site to....I am even maybe eating rice tonight as well!! Surely I should have been thinking about that and deleted this post and went to learn new words and help peple get rice!!!

YOur ethics teacher will never see an ethical student at this rate, so they really shouldn't even teach it!! But, I guess they are unethical so....what else can we expect from them but to carry on! Everyone just keeps on keeping on, but if I am not taking into account the sort of inertia that culture and society has....ultimatly it is the word ETHICS that is unethical....it should be shuned out of usage till it dies and a set of more specific and achievable words be used to replace this vauge horrible beast of a word! /me rips a page out of the dictoinary and feeds it to the hedgehogs.....wiat......now they might die....damn, even in it's death it hurts the world!

For a lot of reasons, I'm scared of you. :matte-motes-stress:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Storm Clarence wrote:

Why then are so many 'characters' criticized for what they post in this forum.  I have read more character assassinations in this forum than any place in-world.  The SL forum is mostly a sense of RP - we present the character of our choosing and then write really serious opinions at the direction of other RP characters.  

Storm, you have me curious. Do you really think that all or even most of us who post here are playing a role? That we are pre-selecting a 'character' to portray and then carefully constructing our posts to reflect that character's presumed viewpoint? 

Anonymity.  You don't know me and I don't know you.  It is "An Observation on Character."  I am all about humor as I like to laugh at others and at myself.  In RL I am the same. I play role(s) that allow me to be accepted into my 'comfortable' circle of friends; this SL forum is my stage: my world, my imagination.  It allows me to play any role I choose - and I do. Don't you?  It is the RP that keeps me posting to this forum.  Understanding that it is RP is the 'sense of proportion' I need to survive in this forum as there are so many people from so many different walks of life, and so many differing opinions.  Would you believe I am a very 'shy' dude in RL although I have many more friends than I do in SL?  I am not shy on this stage.  

Re: character assassination; it exists, but if you have not read it then it doesn't really affect you - good for you.            

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:

There is a perfect example of some RP in the Forum on Quinn's thread in Favorite Destinations.  It may feature a destination but it is all RP.  That is an overt example of RP.  Then there is the example when someone takes an opinion 'for sake of argument'.  Even when it is not designated such, it is still a form of RP.  And none of these examples sit in the RP subfolder nor do they need to, in my opinion.  The forum should be a place where we can freely express ourselves in whatever form that takes (within the guidelines, of course).

I was never more surprised with the replies I received in my
thread.  Even off the thread, there was at least one comment from a then prolific poster.  But, that is alright, it was RP and I did not take it seriously. 

First, to give credit where it is overwhelmingly due, the thread you are referring to in Favorite Destinations was started by Dillon, not me.

As for taking an opinion one doesn't necessarily agree with "for the sake of argument," I agree that it could be seen as a form of RP.  And not one limited to SL, either. Such things happen even in RL when one plays devil's advocate. I think there is actually a good use for playing devil's advocate when it forces people on both sides to think through their own and opposing opinions more thoroughly.

Where it all gets confusing to me is when it is difficult to tell what is RP (or playing devil's advocate) and what isn't. There are certainly instances here where I am unsure of a poster's intent. Is it serious? Is it RP? Satire? A sly commentary on something I'm out of the loop on? Just having fun? I do tend to take people at face value in the forum, so when I see something that seems inconsistent with what I think I know of a poster, those are the kinds of questions I ask myself.

None of that is to say that I think RP in the forum is a bad thing. It's only to say that I personally don't always recognize it right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Poenald Palen wrote:

Ethics! I declare this thread unethical due to you all not paying attention tomore important things. You might all have skills to do Virtual Volunteering, heck knows I have not got enough and I can't! So...you are all unethical and a failure because you post here and people starve in other countries! Why are you not improving your vocab on freerice.com!!! Huh? Wait, I forgot about that site to....I am even maybe eating rice tonight as well!! Surely I should have been thinking about that and deleted this post and went to learn new words and help peple get rice!!!

YOur ethics teacher will never see an ethical student at this rate, so they really shouldn't even teach it!! But, I guess they are unethical so....what else can we expect from them but to carry on! Everyone just keeps on keeping on, but if I am not taking into account the sort of inertia that culture and society has....ultimatly it is the word ETHICS that is unethical....it should be shuned out of usage till it dies and a set of more specific and achievable words be used to replace this vauge horrible beast of a word! /me rips a page out of the dictoinary and feeds it to the hedgehogs.....wiat......now they might die....damn, even in it's death it hurts the world!

Poenald, this made me laugh. But at the same time there's a raw nugget of a truth in there that I'd like to take and polish up a bit, if I may be so bold as to take that liberty. That nugget of truth is that we all have to make choices about how to use our time, and whatever it is that we choose to do (such as posting in an SL forum or naval-gazing on topics like "character") is ALWAYS at the expense of something else that we could be doing instead; possibly something more noble or productive.

I know that I wrestle sometimes with what is the best use of my time, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. But I enjoy my time in SL and in the forums. It's a chance to unwind, and if I didn't have that, I'd be a useless bundle of stress all the time. A relaxed Quinn (or rather, a relaxed operator behind Quinn) is far better prepared to focus on the things that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


For the record, that 'Destinations' thread isn't Quinn's although it would not be any good without her contributions.

 

Corrected!  Apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:

Anonymity.  You don't know me and I don't know you.  It is "An Observation on Character."  I am all about humor as I like to laugh at others and at myself.  In RL I am the same. I play role(s) that allow me to be accepted into my 'comfortable' circle of friends; this SL forum is my stage: my world, my imagination.  It allows me to play any role I choose - and I do. Don't you?  It is the RP that keeps me posting to this forum.  Understanding that it is RP is the 'sense of proportion' I need to survive in this forum as there are so many people from so many different walks of life, and so many differing opinions.  Would you believe I am a very 'shy' dude in RL although I have many more friends than I do in SL?  I am not shy on this stage.  

Re: character assassination; it exists, but if you have not read it then it doesn't really affect you - good for you.            

Okay. I think perhaps the question has more to do with the differing definitions of role play. There are many, as a thread I think in this subsection demonstrated (Perrie's, I think).

I am not shy in RL but neither am I particularly gregarious; I am perfectly happy keeping myself company. That worked to my advantage in SL; I enjoyed just being on my own and learning things; by the time I was ready to be more of a social animal I had at least enough background knowledge to be able to get along. Once I do get in a conversation I am pretty much the same way in SL as RL. A buttinski. Prone to sound off about things without doing as much prior research as I should. Bound to see the funny side of anything and to wisecrack at the most serious of times. Maybe a little sarcastic but I try to keep that in check.

I think maybe our definitions of character assassination differ as well. I consider that phrase to mean a spreading of falsehood and misinformation about someone for the purpose of defiling them in the eyes of others. That does happen in some blogs that I've seen. I think you (and Quinn) include in your definitions the kind of viciousness that went on in the GD forum. I saw all of that I ever wanted to see, I assure you. I didn't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have kind of been sitting back and watching how this thread has developed and I've been thinking about the RP thing being brought up.  I think there are, as has been stated, many kinds of role play.  I wouldn't know much about any of them,  in fact the Only Live Twice thread has been my fist foray into such things.  Dillon and I had a discussion about it on top of building one evening and we agreed that is more of semi-scriptless acting then role playing.

 

My opinion is there are two distinct type of role play, followed by the subcategories.  There is the obvious RP such as the thread.  We don't carry those characters throughout SL, or in the forum other than that one particular thread.  We may joke about our characters, but for me it is no different then when I performed in theater. I switch off after I leave the thread or after the pictures are done. 

Then there is the RP that Storm mentions, the folks who pretend to be something they are not from a mental aspect (I say mental aspect, because face it, non of us are what we appear in SL.  I don't have black hair.. haha).  They play a role and set a goal of convincing others that they are something they are not. 


Storm Clarence wrote:

Anonymity.  You don't know me and I don't know you.  It is "An Observation on Character."  I
am all about humor as I like to laugh at others and at myself.  In RL I am the same.
I play role(s) that allow me to be accepted into my 'comfortable' circle of friends;
this SL forum is my stage: my world, my imagination.  It allows me to play any role I choose - and I do. Don't you?  It is the RP that keeps me posting to this forum.  Understanding that it is RP is the 'sense of proportion' I need to survive in this forum as there are so many people from so many different walks of life, and so many differing opinions.  Would you believe I am a very 'shy' dude in RL although I have many more friends than I do in SL?  I am not shy on this stage.  

Re: character assassination; it exists, but if you have not read it then it doesn't really affect you - good for you.            

That line say to me something other than RP, it says that you are much the same person all the time,  but you allow yourself to adapt and let out different traits when around different people.  I think most of us are the same.  We may have certain things that we don't do all the time for example; I have a friend who doesn't dance; I don't swear, things like that.  Then there are things that you will do around one set of friends, but not around another.  It may be something extreme or something innocuous.  I have some friends I wouldn't wear a neko tail around and some I would. 

I guess what I"m trying to saying is there is a difference between all out acting as a different character then you normally are, and simply gaining boldness and courage from anonymity.   

 
That is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. 
:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Storm Clarence wrote:

Anonymity.  You don't know me and I don't know you.  It is "An Observation on Character."  I am all about humor as I like to laugh at others and at myself.  In RL I am the same. I play role(s) that allow me to be accepted into my 'comfortable' circle of friends; this SL forum is my stage: my world, my imagination.  It allows me to play any role I choose - and I do. Don't you?  It is the RP that keeps me posting to this forum.  Understanding that it is RP is the 'sense of proportion' I need to survive in this forum as there are so many people from so many different walks of life, and so many differing opinions.  Would you believe I am a very 'shy' dude in RL although I have many more friends than I do in SL?  I am not shy on this stage.  

Re: character assassination; it exists, but if you have not read it then it doesn't really affect you - good for you.            

Okay. I think perhaps the question has more to do with the differing definitions of role play. There are many, as a thread I think in this subsection demonstrated (Perrie's, I think). <snip>


I don't think it has to do with differing definitions; neither 'RP' or 'character assassination.'

I don't want to focus on the latter--although it was germane in the context of which I wrote my response above: avatars (rp'ers) "character" [the title of the OP] are always being judged, whether in this forum or in-world.  Some become our friend.  Some are assassinated.  We don't read this here as often as we had in GD; it has been taken to other media e.g., twits and blogs; and it has always existed in one form or another outside of the SL forum i.e., other fora and blogs.  In this forum we read about the 'friend circles,' and we quickly forget/overlook/dismiss (pick your verb) the negative posts, and conveniently I might add. 

When I initiate an OP, which I do entirely too much, many avatars no longer respond to the content of the OP--they respond to Storm. RP and character?  You and I had exchanged some words recently in-world.  I appreciated your opinion, and I responded. I don't know if you understood my response, but it had to do with character and RP.  

You were compelled to send me a NC to 'defend' Gypsy, I suppose.  As I think more: it was referencing this thread.  I would have preferred, as a first introduction in-world, that you sent me a simple: 'Hello, I hope you are well, I'm Dillon.'   That, to me, would have been a display of 'character'.  I can not begin to tell you the quantity and content of the IM's I receive in-world referencing my OP's while trying to explain to me how **bleep**ed up I am for: cheating, dommeing, heartbreaking, lying, arrogance, pretentious, ignorance, bigotry (pick your adjective.) 

Dillon, do you think I am all that in RL?  Do you think I am all that in SL?

Do you want to laugh, only two people ever contacted me in-world to offer a hello or a friendship before just deciding to rip me a new ass; they are: Pep and Maddy.  I accepted both (three if you are so inclined to include Snugs.)  

SL=character and role-play. The forum is one stage, in-world is another.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:


I don't think it has to do with differing definitions;
neither 'RP' or 'character assassination.'

When I initiate an OP, which I do entirely too much, many avatars no longer respond to the content of the OP--they respond to Storm. RP and character?  You and I had exchanged some words recently in-world.  I appreciated your opinion, and I responded. I don't know if you understood my response, but it had to do with character and RP.  

You were compelled to send me a NC to 'defend' Gypsy, I suppose.  As I think more: it was referencing this thread.  I would have preferred, as a first introduction in-world, that you sent me a simple: 'Hello, I hope you are well, I'm Dillon.'   That, to me, would have been a display of 'character'..  

Well, a lot of material. I'll start with the notecard. I did understand your response. The reason I chose that medium was because it did have to do with something that you'd mentioned in this thread, but I didn't really think a response within the thread had much to do with the OP so I thought it would be something of a derailment to bring it up. But since it's now officially been mentioned I will respond here, with apologies to Quinn if this is off-topic.

First, I hope you did not take anything I said as critical of you; I certainly intended no criticism. As I recall I was quite complimentary. I'm sorry I don't have access to the note right now but I freely give you permission to post it here (with of course all names except yours and mine removed). As for introducing myself "Hello, I'm Dillon" that never would have occurred to me. We've been 'talking' to each other for months.

You went on to say:

I can not begin to tell you the quantity and content of the IM's I receive in-world referencing my OP's while trying to explain to me how **bleep**ed up I am for: cheating, dommeing, heartbreaking, lying, arrogance, pretentious, ignorance, bigotry (pick your adjective.) 

Dillon, do you think I am all that in RL?  Do you think I am all that in SL?

I believe I have demonstrated in the GD and in these forums that that is not the case and I'm frankly surprised you would even ask the question. I'm a bit ticked off that you did, to be honest. You should have known the answer.  I even 'spoke' to someone directly in the GD about that, in your defense. You ended with:

Do you want to laugh, only two people ever contacted me in-world to offer a hello or a friendship before just deciding to rip me a new ass; they are: Pep and Maddy.  I accepted both (three if you are so inclined to include Snugs.)  

SL=character and role-play. The forum is one stage, in-world is another.  

Well, you were not online so I could not say Hello. I decided a note would be more likely to get to its destination than a long IM. I have no problem with you considering that your inworld self and your forum self are different selves. As I've said earlier that is not so much the case with me, other than that I discuss RL with strangers more here.

ETA the line about not introducing myself. But now that I think about it I can understand why you'd say that. If inworld Storm and Forum Storm are two different people, then I guess an inworld introduction would have been appropriate. I just don't think of things that way so the idea never crossed my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say it is true of my friends in SL.

My biggest issue in SL I find is people lacking in integrity approaching me and trying to get them to understand my position, which is usually not at all complicated.  It goes something like this... manners cost nothing, don't leave them at the login screen and don't lie to me.  I'm having the manners issue with my new neighbour at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Storm Clarence wrote:

Why then are so many 'characters' criticized for what they post in this forum.  I have read more character assassinations in this forum than any place in-world.  The SL forum is mostly a sense of RP - we present the character of our choosing and then write really serious opinions at the direction of other RP characters.  

Storm, you have me curious. Do you really think that all or even most of us who post here are playing a role? That we are pre-selecting a 'character' to portray and then carefully constructing our posts to reflect that character's presumed viewpoint? 

Anonymity.  You don't know me and I don't know you.  It is "An Observation on Character."  I am all about humor as I like to laugh at others and at myself.  In RL I am the same. I play role(s) that allow me to be accepted into my 'comfortable' circle of friends; this SL forum is my stage: my world, my imagination.  It allows me to play any role I choose - and I do. Don't you?  It is the RP that keeps me posting to this forum.  Understanding that it is RP is the 'sense of proportion' I need to survive in this forum as there are so many people from so many different walks of life, and so many differing opinions.  Would you believe I am a very 'shy' dude in RL although I have many more friends than I do in SL?  I am not shy on this stage.  

Re: character assassination; it exists, but if you have not read it then it doesn't really affect you - good for you.            

This is really quiet an interesting, if not confusing, conversation. :)

I think many people do assign RL character traits (ethics, morals, integrity, credibility), valid or invalid, to those who are playing characters on the SL forums.   Unfortunately those (negative) traits are assigned to the RL operator of the individual who is playing a misogynistic dom, or heartbreaker, etc.,  I myself am often amazed at some to the satire that is met with heated hostility as it seems rather obvious that it is "just a joke."  That being said, I have reacted harshly to satire here, not because I was to ignorant to recognize it as satire, but because I found even as a joke it was offensive.  And honestly, sometimes, I think every one of us experiences a crap day that just leaves us in the mood to be offended and any opportunity, blatant or subtle, serious or satire, is just icing on a finely honed piss off we have been savoring all day :)  

I guess, since I don't RP on the forums, when someone calls me crazy, a stalker, insane, a whack job of a mother, a nutjob, batpoopy crazy, etc., I take it personally. 

Good thread!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't personalize my post too much Dillon, my questions were more rhetorical; nothing to be ticked at.  I know your "character" and you know mine. My response was written to illustrate the OP and the discussions in a manner that I understood. 

PS How is this conversation or anything related to it off-topic?  We are discussing character--it's in the OP.  It evolved to RP, which, imo, is character play.  

ETA When I am in-world I am NOT part of this forum.  My world in-world is filled with beauty and friends; chatting, laughing, enjoying.  I like to talk about books, ice hockey, the arts, the sciences: chemistry, software, astrophysics, political, quantum, nano.

When I am in this forum I like to discuss relationships.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:

I think maybe our definitions of character assassination differ as well. I consider that phrase to mean a spreading of falsehood and misinformation about someone for the purpose of defiling them in the eyes of others. That does happen in some blogs that I've seen. I think you (and Quinn) include in your definitions the kind of viciousness that went on in the GD forum.
I saw all of that I ever wanted to see, I assure you. I didn't like it.

Amen!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:

Don't personalize my post too much Dillon, my questions were more rhetorical; nothing to be ticked at.  I know your "character" and you know mine. My response was written to illustrate the OP and the discussions in a manner that I understood. 

PS How is this conversation or anything related to it off-topic?  We are discussing character--it's in the OP.  It evolved to RP, which, imo, is character play.  

 

Okay. We just 'understand' things differently. For instance, I am without a clue as to what you meant by saying the conversation evolved into RP. We just see things from different perspectives.

I completely understood Storm to be 'playing a role' in those GD threads I mentioned a while back. I just never thought of  your comments on other topics (this one, for example) to be Storm 'playing a role'. But if he is, so be it. Well played.:matte-motes-smile:

 

ETA that having just read your ETA (which had not been added at the time I first wrote this), it all makes more sense now. We are different. I don't make any real distinction between inworld and the Forum; you consider them totally different places. That makes it much easier for me to understand what you posted here and I will keep it in mind from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lillie Woodells wrote:

Then there is the RP that Storm mentions, the folks who pretend to be something they are not from a mental aspect (I say mental aspect, because face it, non of us are what we appear in SL.  I don't have black hair.. haha).  They play a role and set a goal of convincing others that they are something they are not. 

 

WHAT?!? You don't really have black hair??? You've been lying to me all this time? Lillie, how could you??? I thought you were my friend. I trusted you!!!! :matte-motes-crying:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:( /me cries  
Quinn, I'm so very sorry!  I thought if I told you I was a redhead it would scare you and you'd never be my friend.  We redheads get a bad rap for being kinda cranky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lillie Woodells wrote:

:(

/me cries  

Quinn, I'm so very sorry!  I thought if I told you I was a redhead it would scare you and you'd never be my friend.  We redheads get a bad rap for being kinda cranky.

A ginger? Oy.

Note to self: Stand behind Lillie at all times when weapons are in evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Lillie Woodells wrote:

:(

/me cries  

Quinn, I'm so very sorry!  I thought if I told you I was a redhead it would scare you and you'd never be my friend.  We redheads get a bad rap for being kinda cranky.

A
ginger?
Oy.

Note to self: Stand behind Lillie at
all
times when weapons are in evidence.

/me sighs

See what I mean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Josephina Bonetto wrote:

I would say it is true of my friends in SL.

My biggest issue in SL I find is people lacking in integrity approaching me and trying to get them to understand my position, which is usually not at all complicated.  It goes something like this... manners cost nothing, don't leave them at the login screen and don't lie to me.  I'm having the manners issue with my new neighbour at the moment. 

I do know some people who are cynical of manners, considering them almost a form of role play where people only pretend to be nice and courteous. There are, I'm sure, any number of reasons for that, the most heartbreaking of which is that some people have truly never seen good manners lived out at home. Still, whether sincere or not, manners do make the world a more pleasant place to live, don't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Quinn Morani wrote:

I do know some people who are cynical of manners, considering them almost a form of role play where people only pretend to be nice and courteous. There are, I'm sure, any number of reasons for that, the most heartbreaking of which is that some people have truly never seen good manners lived out at home. Still, whether sincere or not, manners do make the world a more pleasant place to live, don't they?

Sadly, Quinn, that is not just limited to life in SL.  When I was hired permanent at my job (from a temp) I had been on the job for 6 months.  I was walking down the hallway with the office manager after I had accepted a permanent position and she turned to me and hugged me.  She said "I am so happy that you are what you appear.  I really thought you were putting on an act and that no one could be that nice." 

While her words made me feel good about how I conduct myself, it was still sad to hear.  Anymore when someone is polite and kind, people think they are putting on an act. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...