Group land rent

Zenptiness

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If seven premium members contribute their land allowance to a group and that group acquires a parcel maximizing that 7x 1024 sqm + 10% (7,844 sqm) would I still be charged $7.00 a month because it’s just shy of the 8,129 sqm 1/8 region category? Or are we simply charged in multiples of 1024 sqm and wouldn’t pay any extra as long as we stayed within 7,844 sqm?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zenptiness said:

If seven premium members contribute their land allowance to a group and that group acquires a parcel maximizing that 7x 1024 sqm + 10% (7,844 sqm) would I still be charged $7.00 a month because it’s just shy of the 8,129 sqm 1/8 region category? Or are we simply charged in multiples of 1024 sqm and wouldn’t pay any extra as long as we stayed within 7,844 sqm?

If all 7 members donate their 1024 sqm to the group first AND the land parcel is then 'BOUGHT FOR GROUP' by having the group tag active and selecting that option at purchase, then nobody will have to pay any extra tier.  This applies to land amounts up to the 7844 sqm - anything over that will incur tier charges for someone.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

Nobody gets charged for tier.  But, is it a good deal?  Let's see! 

Seven Premium memberships cost $693 per year.  Assuming you recover part of that by saving your stipend payments and cashing them out,  the net is about 693 - 432 = $261 after processing fees.

8192 costs $35 per month, or $420 per year, plus one Premium membership at $99 per year (minus the stipend, about $62), for a total of $457 per year to own the land as an individual.

Yep, creating a bunch of alts to group own your land looks like a good deal...IF nobody goes and spends their stipend money on shoes and hair!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If all 7 members donate their 1024 sqm to the group first AND the land parcel is then 'BOUGHT FOR GROUP' by having the group tag active and selecting that option at purchase, then nobody will have to pay any extra tier.  This applies to land amounts up to the 7844 sqm - anything over that will incur tier charges for someone.

So you’re saying that all interested parties need to contribute their allowance to the group before the land is purchased and can’t be contributed to the group after the land is purchased? I’ll explain what I’m going after initially. I have a parcel that’s 3,xxx m². I only have one premium account right now so I pay $13 a month more to maintain this piece of land. I’ve done the math and having two more premium accounts would actually save me a lot of money if they could contribute to that land tier eliminating the $13 a month and factoring in the stipend. I did even more math and seeing that I spent nearly $600 on SL last year, having seven premium accounts is cheaper than that - a lot cheaper - like just over a third as much if you factor in the stipend. But I would probably spend all of those L$. lol! At least I wouldn’t unnecessarily be wasting money on tier.

Edited by Zenptiness
Refine explanation

2 hours ago, Zenptiness said:

So you’re saying that all interested parties need to contribute their allowance to the group before the land is purchased and can’t be contributed to the group after the land is purchased? I’ll explain what I’m going after initially. I have a parcel that’s 3,xxx m². I only have one premium account right now so I pay $13 a month more to maintain this piece of land. I’ve done the math and having two more premium accounts would actually save me a lot of money if they could contribute to that land tier eliminating the $13 a month and factoring in the stipend. I did even more math and seeing that I spent nearly $600 on SL last year, having seven premium accounts is cheaper than that - a lot cheaper - like just over a third as much if you factor in the stipend. But I would probably spend all of those L$. lol! At least I wouldn’t unnecessarily be wasting money on tier.

Ahhh, I thought you were asking how to do it without any of the accounts paying anything more than their Premium membership fee. 

Since you already own the land, you could now have other accounts donate their tier to the land group. Afterwards, you can then remove your excess tier.  You will have one more final tier payment of $13 - because tier is always billed in arrears for the previous month.

If you want to purchase more land and do it without incurring any more tier charges, just ensure that the land group has enough tier donated before buying the extra land and then do the 'buy for group' option.

ETA:  Even if you don't save the L$ to offset Premium fee, the L$ are offsetting the amount of money that you would be using to buy L$ - assuming you by at least $62 worth of L$ each year.  If you buy lots of L$, it actually is better to just spend the Alts' money because in order to offset the Premium fee you would have to sell the L$, which incurs a selling fee.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 2

On 9/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you are buying it for the group, the group needs sufficient tier or the sale won't go through.

Several times I've worn a tag for the wrong group when buying land for my group, and it won't let me. Once I wear the tag for the right group, the sale complete.

If the group wants the land anyway, someone has to increase their donated tier, and the person increasing their donation will owe the new tier level the minute they increase their donation, even if they decide not to buy the land.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:07 PM, Zenptiness said:

Lindall, I’ve done the math and having seven premium accounts, even if I spent all of the stipend, wouldn’t be much more than what I spent last year with only one premium account. Keeping seven mesh avis up to snuff is expensive! ;)

Also, note that your planning is contingent on the LindEx value remaining at 241 or thereabouts and not sinking in value to 250 or worse.

It is extremely rare for 7 individual real people to so agree on something in SL that they all freely and fairly put in 1024 or 512 into a group and live happily ever after. There are just too many variables. It almost never occurs. If it does, it would be in the context of a dedicated group with a purpose of people at least some of whom know each other in RL like Chilbo, or in the context of a rentals agent who accepts tier donations with a fixed value applied as a rental discount, like mine and others.

So if you mean, let me take 6 of my alts and do this, I suppose the math is relatively ok, but there's another point to make, which is each premium account costs you at the least US $8.25 per account at current rates, or $57.75 for 7 accounts . So yes, you can sell your Lindens to cover just some of that, depending on the rate. Currently at 241 each month, you'd get only $33.60 from your LindEx sales IF the rate stays at 241 (1000L - US $4.00) and IF you are not tempted to buy anything or play gatchas. Remember to calculate 100 for the group founding fee and if any land is in search/places, 30L per week.

Butt meanwhile, you could just take two accounts, at $16.50 per month (you need 2 to hold a group together), and have just one of them, go up to the 8120 tier level, which is US $35 per month on top of your account fee. That means you'd pay $51.50 ($35 plus $16,50), and would hope to reduce that by sale of Lindens you don't use to feed the mouths of all those alts in hair and mesh bodies and such. $51.50 only.

I'm for looking at the flat costs soberly: $51.50 with 2 accounts and one at 8192 tier level, and the other at $57.75 for premiums with the "free" 1024. 

The option with the two accounts gets you 10,240 in tier -- 8192 for the tier level and 2 x 1024 for the "free" tier, and in a group, you will have a bonus of 1024, imagine that, like a whole free premium account, for a total of 11,264 in tier to cover land.

The option with the seven accounts get you 7,168 in tier, with a bonus of 716 m = 7884.

So the two accounts with a tier level is cheaper by US $6.25 and more to the point, gets you more land. You could even go down to the $22 level for 4096 and you'd still have 6758 in meters which is pretty good and then way more cheaper than these other options.

The seven accounts with the "free" tier might seem like a great deal at first but it is less land for somewhat more money -- it's not free, you have to count the cost of the premium, and no, your Lindens do not cover its cost and make that "free" even at the very good rate on the LindEx we have now. That will not hold. When it goes down to $3.75/1000, which it was for a long time, you'd make $31.50 per month, much less to cover your cost which is fixed at the annualized level at $57.75 per month for 7 accounts.

The Lindens long ago gamed this out when they limited accounts to 5. Extra accounts become worth it, in my view, only when you don't want to make a steep tier jump.

Qie can correct my math. But even if my calculation is off, I don't think you are really at an advantage.

I personally would find it a chore constantly checking on all those alts, to make sure their bills are paid, to make sure they haven't defaulted, etc. You could dress them in system clothing and do nothing with them, but then you start to feel they are kind of worthless.

Whereas with just 2 accounts, you have only one account with tier to worry about; the other account could be dressed up and have fun.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.