Give me advice or tutorials for making basic prim clothes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have never made anything for secondlife before but I have this idea for a line of clothes.

Can you guys help me learn how to create clothes that use the old-fashioned form-fitting prim and sculpt method, the one where next to your shirt there’s a picture of a shirt instead of a box. I just want to make solid color t-shirts and such.
How do I make non-mesh clothes?

If you are referring to simple texture based clothes aka clothing layers aka BoM, then all you need is avatar UV maps and graphic software like Photoshop or Gimp. The rest is literally up to your skill level...There are numerous old youtube tutorials for any skill level...I always suggest to learn your software first opposed to learning through goal oriented tutorials only, for example, find a beginner PS/Gimp tutorial to understand the interface before looking into creating specific textures for SL usage!

In the pre-mesh era, skirts were commonly made by linking shaped prim panels (usually flexi) in a circle, so that they could hang from your waistline.  Those skirts flowed beautifully and avoided the sort of "rubber suit" appearance that you get in some mesh skirts and dresses.  They were great for dancing but could have a strange fly-away look if the creator went wild with the flexi settings.  There's still a limited market for them in baby doll nighties and as components in some costumes. 

Ged Larsen's LoopRez and LinkRez  (still available in world) were very popular building tools for assembling panel skirts.  His scripts take a lot of the fiddly business out of getting the panels spaced and sized properly.  I used them for many years while I still had in-world clothing shops.  They are still fun for making prim jewelry or other objects that are based on prims linked around a central axis.

2 hours ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I have never made anything for secondlife before but I have this idea for a line of clothes.

Can you guys help me learn how to create clothes that use the old-fashioned form-fitting prim and sculpt method, the one where next to your shirt there’s a picture of a shirt instead of a box. I just want to make solid color t-shirts and such.
How do I make non-mesh clothes?

You've got some of the terminology mixed up.

Prims and sculpts are rigid -- completely solid, not form-fitting.

• Prims are created ("rezzed") from the Build menu. (From the top of your viewer, or Ctrl B, or Ctrl 4)
  • Sculpts are generally created with 3D modeling software, outside of Second Life, then uploaded as textures.

"Form-fitting" clothes (the ones with the shirt icon for example) are generally called "system clothes" or "system layers."

• They are created in your inventory (new clothes > new shirt, or new clothes > new universal)
  • They use 2D images or "textures" for their look. You'll need to know how to use an image editor.
  • The "system avatar" (the base avatar you see if you don't use a mesh body) has a UV map or "texture layout," which is something you'll have to use as a template for your clothes. Otherwise your shirt is going to look very weird.
  • You can download free body-templates from here: https://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/AVUVTemplates.html
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

• Prims are created ("rezzed") from the Build menu. (From the top of your viewer, or Ctrl B, or Ctrl 4)
  • Sculpts are generally created with 3D modeling software, outside of Second Life, then uploaded as textures.

"Form-fitting" clothes (the ones with the shirt icon for example) are generally called "system clothes" or "system layers."

• They are created in your inventory (new clothes > new shirt, or new clothes > new universal)
  • They use 2D images or "textures" for their look. You'll need to know how to use an image editor.
  • The "system avatar" (the base avatar you see if you don't use a mesh body) has a UV map or "texture layout," which is something you'll have to use as a template for your clothes. Otherwise your shirt is going to look very weird.
  • You can download free body-templates from here: https://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/AVUVTemplates.html

Thank you! This was very helpful to me. I guess I was using incorrect terminology.

2 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I can’t link it because of forum changes but there is an entire section of clothing tutorials on SL’s wiki

BB5E2412-40BA-42FB-A081-EC1843751262.jpeg

Thank you; I’ll look this up.

• Like 1

Let's see...

Rez and attach some prims and...

f5d2c1e523caa382f1f52030005f65a5.jpg

Done.

Easy as that. 😛

As you can see, I haz lots of books, so I've got me lots of learning on this kinda stuff. 😉

EDIT: Other people answered the serious question, so it was time for the literal answer. 🙂

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I'm not sure how to put the pieces together. When I created a new piece of clothing it was not editable. I'm not finding any helpful youtube videos for this. It seems like what I want to do should be easy. Yes, I want the rubber suit look. I want to create system clothes that fit against the avatar.

1 minute ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I'm not sure how to put the pieces together.

1 minute ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I want to create system clothes that fit against the avatar.

In that case, there are no pieces to put together.  As other people have explained, system clothes don't involve prims.  Just textures that are quite literally painted on your body.  Pixie and Wulfie pointed you to a good collection of tutorials and templates to get you started.  You'll need Photoshop or GIMP (or some other image editing program that allows you to work in layers).  As Max says, you should plan on spending time learning how to fly it before you start trying to create clothing textures.

4 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen prim clothing. When I got here sculptie parts were still a thing, but the rest were system clothes. Unless you count flexi, which kind of never left.

Skin tight dresses on system layers had that little prim piece between the legs to turn the pants layer into what was supposed to look like a skirt/dress.  I really don't miss that.  Dresses like this...

Scandalous Pinco Dark edit.png

On 9/21/2020 at 12:33 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Let's see...

Rez and attach some prims and...

f5d2c1e523caa382f1f52030005f65a5.jpg

Done.

Easy as that. 😛

As you can see, I haz lots of books, so I've got me lots of learning on this kinda stuff. 😉

EDIT: Other people answered the serious question, so it was time for the literal answer. 🙂

BwaaaaaaaaaaaaaH!  That made my day.  I'm surprised some guy didn't ask you if you made them phantom?  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.