Para rp or meter rp?

Mira Kamiguwa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm going to try keep nutral on this for now.  So I've noticed a few new rp sims appearing which are pure para rp and actually quite popular.   In the past we had gorean sims with para rp but also huds and weapons systems.  I never saw anything wrong with this and no one really had any issues.  

Later on we got CCS and people started to move onto a lot of meter combat.  So why now do people who are in these new para rp hate using a meter so much?  

I guess the main points here  are: 

Para role play systems

Good points 

• Since there is no meter people are forced to focus on the role play aspects of the sim.
  • The focus in on imagination and people do not need to use so many lindens to buy various weapons.
  • The aim is to have fun and not win constant battles. 

Bad points 

• People who have trouble speaking English or the sim language wont be able to rp as quickly or easily.
  • There is confusion over who will win a combat situation. 
  • Role play might take longer and not be as fun for people who are not used to this style of role play.

Meter based rp

Good points

• A charicter is only as strong as the limitation of the meter.
  • Fights are worked out easily. 
  • Combat is a lot more simplyfied. 

Bad points

• Some people may not be as good as others in meter fights. 
  • The role play may be dicated by who wins in a fight using a meter 
  • People loose focus in role play. 

A lot of RP games are meter based, they use levels and classes to determine power levels and such, they have set the norm on most RP games nowadays (WoW, WAR, etc)

So, it isnt as much as a role-playing but moreso a roll-playing game.

Even tabletop RP games (D&D and such) follow same suit, however that kind of play can controlled by the gamemaster.

I love playing RP games but not for the combat. I love to RP in a RP game!

Metered RP games in the end is all about who is the biggest kid on the block, who has the best armor, who has the biggest sword/gun/spell, and so on...I agree no RP to gain that, just a lot of luck.

Personally, I much prefer rp combat to meter combat. Meter combat favours the person with the fastest connection and sways roleplay in favour of the character with the better keyboard skills as opposed to working out through character and plot who should win a fight. There can be the issue of godmodding, but experienced and skilled rp-ers know better.

I actually avoid sims that use a meter system or levels or any other scripted form of deciding who is stronger then others. Some people like it and I guess it has soem advanteges if competition and combat is what one would like to spend their time with but since for me it is the writing and the creation of ongoing stories I neither mind the time that is sometimes needed to be spend on it (RL of course demands some planing since dedicating a few undisturbed hours for RP is sometimes difficult) or the difficulty that comes with pure text based freeform RP.

I have started right off with text RP and needed some time to get to the point of writing a paragraph post ^_^ .. the language barrier has been a bit of a problem at the beginning but it quickly got better.

It always comes down to what someone likes

When I first started rp here, I went for metered combat, due to some REALLY bad experiences in Furcadia.

As I got better at rp, however, I started to drift towards text RP (not quite para, I type too slow for that). Now I don't care if it uses a meter or not. Hells, saves on script time.

• 1 year later...

I am tired of my IC combat abity beng dictated by how powerful my computer is. My skill withthe CS i use isnt the problem. What IS my probkem is the fact my computer is not very powerful and as a result iget a lggy 15 FPS on a good day. I also prefer to RP insead of competitivly gaming. If you wanna fight me ICly, then Its FFC (non-metered RP combat) or no combat. 

competitive combat sytems destory larger rp communities

Neither for me. Conflict is inevitable, and if its come up then I prefer rp. But I never go into rp for the battles. I go to socialize and see who I'M going to become. Too self involved to fight ya. (yes I'm laughing) 

I'm not a para-rp person tho. Likely never will be. A paragraph is just too blasted long and feels like I'm writin a paper instead of talking to you.

The basic conundrum is without a meter, someone have to willingly lose.  When a fight occurs between two people that arent willing to lose, it gets dumb fast.  On the other hand, with a meter, the person typing out a good RP response will get destroyed by the silent guy moving and shooting.  Its hard to find a balance.

I kind of liked the approach mephisto's waltz takes.  they have a dice roller hud (talesmith or somesuch), so you have a basic idea of who did better/worse, so its easier to tell who wins, but not a FPS style combat meter either.  But that is the only sim I have seen to use a solution like that.

Honestly, I dont mind a 'metered' combat system too much, at a basic level, sometimes it can be fun to feel a real time rush to the rp, but there are a few caveats for me.  

when you add levels to it as well, it becomes a tool to make sure older players on the sim never lose, and thats not as compelling of a mechanic in my opionion. 

I also despise the pay-to-win style metered weapons that some meter systems support, where spending 1-2k lindens or more nets a significant combat advantage.

Finally, any metered combat needs to be started by some level of RP not just blindly shooting someone, and at its conclusion, there should be some RP of the aftermath.

• 1 year later...

I rather have Meterd roleplay because i dont want to type out the acrions i have to when i can get use my weapon. why stop and type /me pulls out a gun and shoots'' when i can just pull my gun out and shoot or pull my blade out and swing . i think its time Consuming and takes alot of fun out of the Rp for me. thats just my Opinion either way you like what you like and the most important thing is that you like it and have fun at what your doing :smileyvery-happy:

First off I suck at combat. I have never been good at combat. Normaly I end up getting draw my gu killed before i evenn and get into mouselock. That said, I stick to EMS RP when it comes to metered sims. Seems to work out fine and keeps me busy healing everyone that gets shot. The bad side of that is people get healed then several minates later need healing again lol. On the other hand medical rp in non metered sims can concentrate on real sl medical rp.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.