Misheard Lyrics

LexxiXhan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

The lyrics I found when I looked them up weren't obscene at all, just about sailing a ship and missing a girl. But I found an article saying that the Kingsmen had recorded it with bad technique (instruments loud, singer not close enough to the mic), resulting in the absolute gibberish I heard in that one, and since then many people had heard much dirtier words in it. But surely the Kingsmen would have performed it live sometimes, they couldn't keep that up? I didn't spend too long on it, tbf.

The sailing ship and missing girl is the Jamacian one. The one originally recorded by Richard Berry and the Pharaohs in 1957.

The gibberish Kingsmen recording was nothing more than an accident. Ely was wearing dental braces and the mic, well, you can read the article if you want to know the rest of the story.

Ely never recorded another hit with the Kingsmen—he left the group while “Louie Louie” was still on the charts, in late 1963, after a dispute with Lynn Easton. It was Easton who was responsible for the sole actual obscenity on the Kingsmen’s recording, one which the F.B.I. never picked up upon. The song was recorded in a single live take. Fifty-six seconds in, Easton drops his drumstick. “FiretrUCK!” he yells. You can hear it, if you listen hard enough.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/jack-ely-louie-louie-the-dirtiest-song-of-the-sixties

Still, the Kingsmen version does seem quite appropriate for the Oregon state song. 🤭

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
left out quote
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'd find it hard to muddle words when singing. I have a southern standard accent and it doesn't really lend itself to slurring or messing up words. Except for when I'm drunk, obviously. 

The bad thing about that Southern drawl is, you can never completely get rid of it. It slips out when you least expect it. Then, years later, you start hearing "ya'll" being used more and more in the community. Just when you thought you were safe. 🤭

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

I'd never really thought about it. Richard Berry is quite clear. The Kingsmen, can't understand a word. "Louie Louie, oh, reggaeton...?" Was he drunk? 

The real lyrics look pretty tame. Google suggests it's people hearing other things in the incomprehensible Kingsmen version...?

The Kingsmen version had a lot of mishaps during the recording, and one of them yells out a profanity when he dropped his drumsticks in mid recording. The incoherent singing is because the lead singer was a kid with braces on...

For some odd reason... somebody kept the recording and released it rather than trash it as was supposed to happen. And even odder still... of all the 1000 versions ever made of it, that is the version that went globally famous. After all, the original version was written by a guy in LA who heard a Jamaican on the radio while sitting on the toilet, grabbed a roll, and wrote the thing down before getting up.. yeah... because... reasons...

I've set this to start right at the story behind it:

But this video also has 9 other great stories about song often not understood or misheard. Almost equally famous is SpringSteen's "leftist antiwar song" Born in the USA - which most people don't realize they've got wrong.

I need to rewatch that and edit this based on what the mishap actually was...

It's actually a very tame song about a guy in a bar telling the bartender, who's name is Louie, that he hopes to sail home soon and see his girlfriend...

But so much went wrong with that recording that people thought something else was going on...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, Fritigern Gothly said:

Its history goes back even further, Pass the Kouchie (1982) was a cover too!
The original was an 1969 instrumental song by Sound Dimension, called Full Up.

In Jamaica this is referred to as a Riddim.

Riddims occur when singer all record their own songs to essentially the same music - which can often start as an instrumental. Some of them will make some changes to that music, some will just use new lyrics. The results can be dramatic either way.

It began as a way to reduce costs of studio musicians, but it's become something of a tradition and a great way for established artists to help lift up their junior peers. Put out a riddim album with some famous singers, and all the minor ones also get some boosted exposure, and some of those will eventually become established figures in their own right and then carry it forward.

• Thanks 1

Second line actual: "They've got a robert palmer t-shirt in their travel bag"
Misheard lyric: "They've got a rubber politician in their travel bag"

and try and figure out the rest of the words! lol
My fave "the gardens full of furniture - the house is full of plants: lol

Edited by Maryanne Solo

So...today I discovered that the second line of The Star Spangled Banner is not "what so proudly we held at the twilight's last glimmer", but "what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming". I didn't know enough of the lyrics to realise that "glimmer" wouldn't rhyme as required. I wonder how you'd get "strimmer" into the words if you needed to make it rhyme that way. It's not a tune that lends itself to the subject of weekend gardening.

Sorry, Americans, we don't hear it much over here and I don't think many of us know much of it past the first line. It's much better than our national anthem. What a load of rubbish that is.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

So...today I discovered that the second line of The Star Spangled Banner is not "what so proudly we held at the twilight's last glimmer", but "what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming". I didn't know enough of the lyrics to realise that "glimmer" wouldn't rhyme as required. I wonder how you'd get "strimmer" into the words if you needed to make it rhyme that way. It's not a tune that lends itself to the subject of weekend gardening.

Sorry, Americans, we don't hear it much over here and I don't think many of us know much of it past the first line. It's much better than our national anthem. What a load of rubbish that is.

It wasn't always known as The Star Spangled Banner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner#Francis_Scott_Key's_lyrics

I think all national anthems are a load of rubbish. 🥂

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It wasn't always known as The Star Spangled Banner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner#Francis_Scott_Key's_lyrics

I think all national anthems are a load of rubbish. 🥂

Discovering the real lyrics inspired me to watch various renditions of it. I never knew that about Roseanne Barr. Or Fergie, but I've always found her and her voice annoying anyway. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.