Misheard Lyrics

LexxiXhan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Madonna, La Isla Bonita. I spent a long time thinking the line was "young girl with eyes like pesetas", which isn't so silly when you consider the peseta was the currency of Spain when that song came out. I thought she was saying that the girl's eyes were bright and sparkling like the coins of her motherland.

Apparently it's common to mishear Michael Stipes as singing "Calling Jamaica" instead of "Call me when you try to wake her". Which also makes sense because I love REM, but that line has never scanned properly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It was quite a head spinner to realise I hadn't ever misheard any of the lyrics to I Am The Walrus.

What are the lyrics to Louie Louie?

Are you sure?

I'd link to the original lyrics but someone might take offense and report me for it so if you want, you can easily find the original lyrics for yourself. 

Fun fact: Many people in Oregon still want Louie Louie to be the state song. 

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What are the lyrics to Louie Louie?

Are you sure?

I'd link to the original lyrics but someone might take offense and report me for it so if you want, you can easily find the original lyrics for yourself. 

Fun fact: Many people in Oregon still want Louie Louie to be the state song. 

I'd never really thought about it. Richard Berry is quite clear. The Kingsmen, can't understand a word. "Louie Louie, oh, reggaeton...?" Was he drunk? 

The real lyrics look pretty tame. Google suggests it's people hearing other things in the incomprehensible Kingsmen version...?

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

always wondered what they were saying until I realized they were saying what I thought they were saying.

Still have no idea what it means.  I guess I should probably look that up sometime.

My understanding is that it's either a drug reference, or a dutchie is also a sort of pot used for cooking, so it's about sharing either food or substances. 

12 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

So sort of like...puff puff pass?  Gotcha

Yeah, or possibly sharing food. I think Musical Youth did a more family-friendly version of an original where the line was "what do you do when you got no green/herb". I might be wrong. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith

Ok, so ironically, I can't quite tell all the words from the Sondra Prill video I posted upthread, which is itself a gloriously dreadful rendition of Janet Jackson's Nasty Boys, with one particularly badly mistaken line about gentlemen and not being turned on. I think she might be singing "I'm not a fool" instead of "I'm not a prude". And I haven't the foggiest what she's screaming when she gets to the bit that would normally be "It's Janet, Miss Jackson if you're nasty". 

Prill did a few of these and they're all wonderful. It's a shame she was too early for YouTube, though I guess public access TV was the equivalent back then. I'd be a dedicated follower.

7 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

What ever happened to him?

Rather sad, really. He slipped into a deep depression, then said that the meds he was given destroyed his creativity, so went off the meds going unhinged and back on the meds, etc etc. After 18 years of silence, he recently (2013) made a new album called (takes a deep breath) "Adam Ant Is The Blueblack Hussar In Marrying The Gunner's Daughter"

Also see this Rolling Stone interview with Adam Ant.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Odaks said:

"I can see Deirdre now that the train has gone..."

Just out of edit time, so a quick update on this one. I have been reminded that it was the late, great Sir Terry Wogan that coined this during his morning shows on BBC radio. It then caught on well with his listeners. Some British forumites may remember.

(I can see clearly now that the rain has gone)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Rather sad, really. He slipped into a deep depression, then said that the meds he was given destroyed his creativity, so went off the meds going unhinged and back on the meds, etc etc. After 18 years of silence, he recently (2013) made a new album called (takes a deep breath) "Adam Ant Is The Blueblack Hussar In Marrying The Gunner's Daughter"

Also see this Rolling Stone interview with Adam Ant.

Thanks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.