I was wondering, why grandfathered regions keep their status when transfered?

Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

grandfather transfer was a condition of the buy down offer back in 2016

when region tiers were reduced by 15% in July 2018, grandfather regions were not reduced. They were reduced in July 2019 by $US16 when regular regions were reduced by a further $US20

percentage wise: Regular 229 / 295 = 22.4% reduction.  Grandfather/buydown 179 / 195 = 8.2% reduction.  The gap in real dollars has also closed from $US100 in 2016 to $US50 today. 229 to 179. Back in 2016: 295 to 195

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

The transfer fee is higher for grandfathered regions.  A small profit for LL but profit nonetheless.  Also they sell for more, and if the seller wants to cash out their gleaming new linden dollars there's the matter of a conversion cost to change to USD, and then the cost for processing credit.  Three sources of profit from one sale.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

13 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Molly,  I have a friend that owns a region that is grand fathered with the very first original tier change LL did, he's paying 195  a month, he's had the sim since 2006. 

you may be right.  After considering what you mention then when I parse the $US16 price reduction then it might read as only applying to regions bought under the buydown offer

given its age then your friend's region was probably originally a Class 4 region that was not upgraded thru purchase.  The $US295 price came in when the Class 5 servers were introduced. People could upgrade to a Class 5 server for another $100 per month, or stay on the Class 4 server and continue to pay $195.  New regions thereafter were all Class 5 for $295

as happened over time the Class 4 servers were all replaced, but the price of $195 remained. And because there was never any buydown of your friends region then it stays at $US195. I think, if I have read the knowledge base article correctly

On 9/20/2020 at 6:12 AM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

You'd think that the grandfathered status would only be a commercial gesture offered to current owners?

Cause this appears to create one hell of a grey market and I can't think of why that would be a good thing.

Perhaps only because it undercuts your land empire?  Is that the issue? I don't see how it's a grey market. Obviously the Lindens can track it, so how "grey" can it be? Is it that you just haven't figured out a source for yourself? I'm not getting this. They are often advertised. What's driving this, really?

Why wouldn't it transfer? It's a status of that sim.

It used to be the class of the server was less/slower; maybe that's no longer the case but the status should be retained. I personally only have one I got directly from the Lindens and I have no plans to get anymore so this isn't about "me and my land empire" -- which I don't have, unlike you. So, minds need to keep inquiring here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.