How come SL does not automatically add the right fee for the land when your premium and has 1048 extra.

Anna May

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

17 answers to this question

Anna, we do need more information!

But let me make some assumptions here.  I'm going to assume you are a Premium member, and own 1024 square meters of Mainland.  I'm also going to assume that you bought, or are considering buying, an additional 1048 square meters.

In that case, your total Mainland ownership would be 1024+1048 = 2,072 square meters.  You get the first 1024 free of tier, as part of your Premium membership.  The remaining 1048 would put you above the 1024 tier level of $7 per month, and into the 2048 tier level...so you would pay $13 per month.

You could avoid this by creating a group, donating your tier to the group, and buying the land for that group.  Groups get a 10% tier bonus.  By owning the land through a group, you could own as much as (1024 free + 1024 paid) x 1.10 = 2,240 sq m., and still keep your tier payment at $7 per month.

Another possibility:  If you acquired the additional land, but it was on a private estate and not mainland, then that would not affect your tier situation at all.  On a private estate, you're leasing the land from the estate owner, and pay them weekly or monthly in $L.

• Like 1

Lindal your right, i am a premium number. they charged me for 2048 22 linden incl. vat. 

i saw in land use fee that it should be 7 l, and it said save changes. i did that after they collected 22 l. now its just 7l.

I thought they would have done that automatically, but it seems you have to do it yourself?

I had a bot more land just half a day.

1 hour ago, Anna May said:

What i think you say here is you owned the several lands together for some time, exceeding the 2048 sqm tier level with a bit ..
even owning it for one single second .. would bring the total of the remaining time of the whole billing cycle to the higher tier.
The lowering back to the usd 7 doesn't kick in before the new billing cycle starts.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Anna May said:

Lindal your right, i am a premium number. they charged me for 2048 22 linden incl. vat. 

i saw in land use fee that it should be 7 l, and it said save changes. i did that after they collected 22 l. now its just 7l.

I thought they would have done that automatically, but it seems you have to do it yourself?

Tier is paid in arrears and, as Alwin said, owning even a tiny bit for a single second will incur the charge.  If you had enough land to incur the $22.00 fee for even one second, then when your tier billing date comes around after that moment, you will be charged the $22.00.  Since the tier is charged in arrears, there will always be that one additional payment due after releasing any land that you were paying tier on.

BTW -- I does not actually matter what the little circle is set to on the Land Use Fees page, you will only ever be charged for what you actually did have during the month preceeding the charge.

• Like 3

Actually the whole land use fees process isn't set up fairly at all.

Why would anyone want to pay a whole month of usage fees for something they only had for say a couple of days or a couple of minutes?

Those of you that think this is a fair business practice should consider how you would feel in the real world if you are wanting to rent a place, and the rent due is on the 1st of each month, but you want to move in 2 days before the 1st. You would pay your month and also the 2 days up front. If they told you you had to pay another full month for those 2 days, despite that you didn't live there for the whole month, would you still move in, I personally would go rent somewhere else. 

SL fee system is not fair and is out dated.

1 hour ago, Grace Itano said:

Actually the whole land use fees process isn't set up fairly at all.

Why would anyone want to pay a whole month of usage fees for something they only had for say a couple of days or a couple of minutes?

Those of you that think this is a fair business practice should consider how you would feel in the real world if you are wanting to rent a place, and the rent due is on the 1st of each month, but you want to move in 2 days before the 1st. You would pay your month and also the 2 days up front. If they told you you had to pay another full month for those 2 days, despite that you didn't live there for the whole month, would you still move in, I personally would go rent somewhere else. 

Many things about SL do not mimic RL.

Anyone that doesn't like LL's method of charging for tier is perfectly free to not own any Mainland.  There are plenty of private regions out there that will rent land to people under different terms than LL's.

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many things about SL do not mimic RL.

Anyone that doesn't like LL's method of charging for tier is perfectly free to not own any Mainland.  There are plenty of private regions out there that will rent land to people under different terms than LL's.

Yes I am perfectly aware, I have a homestead that I rent, I am just stating I do not think the system is a fair system, but I guess I shouldn't have an opinion either.

21 minutes ago, Grace Itano said:

Yes I am perfectly aware, I have a homestead that I rent, I am just stating I do not think the system is a fair system, but I guess I shouldn't have an opinion either.

You having an opinion is fine. 

My first statement was commenting on your comparison to RL.

The second half of my comment was directed at the audience, in general, not specifically you.

15 hours ago, Grace Itano said:

Except you generally don't rent month-to-month IRL, you enter some kind of contract that forces you to pay for a set period of time, no matter how little time you spend there. Even if you were renting month-to-month, you would pay for the full month before moving in and probably not get refunded if you left the next day. The same applies to most subscription-based services, where getting a refund for the unspent time is the exception.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

8 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Except you generally don't rent month-to-month IRL, you enter some kind of contract that forces you to pay for a set period of time, no matter how little time you spend there. Even if you were renting month-to-month, you would pay for the full month before moving in and probably not get refunded if you left the next day. The same applies to most subscription-based services, where getting a refund for the unspent time is the exception.

I understand that, but I am talking about why would anyone pay for a whole month back-dated, example rent is due on the 1st of each month, so it would make sense to purchase your land holdings on the 1st of each month, why would you purchase land say the day before and be charged for the whole month that has just passed? It makes no sense to me personally. But the way they have the system set up, you are paying for a whole month prior to your purchase, when you didn't even own anything.

Again I get it is business and you can go elsewhere if you do not agree with the businesses practices, but come on, why do people fall for this unfair business practice, yet would not fall into that trap in real life? Does all common sense go away when in SL?

As for renting in real life, I do rent, and when I first moved in I moved in during the part of the month, I paid the month up front in advance, plus the remainder of the month from my move in. If I decided to move out next day, that was my choice, but if they had said to me, well we want you to pay for the whole month prior to your move in date, how would that be fair? You didn't live there. In fact someone else may have lived there prior, just as in SL. Yet this is what SL are doing with their mainland fee system.

But thanks for the feedback everyone, this is my last post on this subject. I think it is a system that needs to be modernised regardless. In my 13 years in SL, I will not purchase mainland until it does change, so that may be never.

2 hours ago, Grace Itano said:

I understand that, but I am talking about why would anyone pay for a whole month back-dated, example rent is due on the 1st of each month, so it would make sense to purchase your land holdings on the 1st of each month, why would you purchase land say the day before and be charged for the whole month that has just passed? It makes no sense to me personally. But the way they have the system set up, you are paying for a whole month prior to your purchase, when you didn't even own anything.

Again I get it is business and you can go elsewhere if you do not agree with the businesses practices, but come on, why do people fall for this unfair business practice, yet would not fall into that trap in real life? Does all common sense go away when in SL?

As for renting in real life, I do rent, and when I first moved in I moved in during the part of the month, I paid the month up front in advance, plus the remainder of the month from my move in. If I decided to move out next day, that was my choice, but if they had said to me, well we want you to pay for the whole month prior to your move in date, how would that be fair? You didn't live there. In fact someone else may have lived there prior, just as in SL. Yet this is what SL are doing with their mainland fee system.

But thanks for the feedback everyone, this is my last post on this subject. I think it is a system that needs to be modernised regardless. In my 13 years in SL, I will not purchase mainland until it does change, so that may be never.

Ah sorry, I think I understand now after also re-reading the earlier comments.

• If you rented land on the last day of the month, you would get charged for that month.
  • If you then release the land on the next day, you would get charged for that month as well.
  • If instead you rented land on the first day of the month, you would only be charged once.

That does sound a bit backwards.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

didn't you own it?...
couldn't it be you simply wanted more?
couldn't it be you wanted to keep it for the whole billing cycle?

fair ? .. perhaps your feeling says no, but it's business, and not new.

No thats not true

i sold it before i got new.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.