Men's Fashion

Lady Darmoset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've heard from some male residents on SL that it's hard to find the right hair or the right clothing. So, as a creator, I wanted to know what exactly you guys (literally) are looking for? This goes for hair, skin, clothes, etc. And what do you have the hardest time finding?

If you can, feel free to share images that inspire a certain look for you. :) I just know there's tons of items for women out there, but sometimes I have trouble finding some men's wear, too.

As a middle aged male I am not looking for metro-sexual or the clothes twenty somethings wear.  Definitely not the baggy look or drooping drawers.

I suggest you browse MEN'S fashions in things like the Macy's or JC Penny's catalogs for ideas.

Somehow this ex hippie has wound up looking like a damned salesman.

Disclaimer:  I am only disguised as a responsible adult.

• Like 1

Things that are NOT A) Make you look like a 50 year old grandpa in a suit B) Make you look like a male prostitute C) Hip Hop junk D) Make you look like a dumb thug (all these things are what is only available in SL atm)

Things that ARE A) Something a 20 - 30 year old would actually wear B) Something one would wear in the 2000's  C) Something that tells the world that you don't give a crap what they think. D) jeans, t-shirts etc. 

Maybe these are some ideas:080305_blabla2.jpg

kennethcolefall4.jpg

article-page-main_ehow_images_a04_tl_vj_teen-male-fashion-tips-800x800.jpg

urban-young-fashion.jpg

ETA: Obviously disregard the two females in the first picture. Are they female? o.O

Glad to see one guy who can reply, hehe. It's not so many that posts here.

I hope that you will sell your stuff modifiable, because I know someone who is looking for male clothes but has a shape shorter and heavier than most SL avatars. No modify prims with resizer is useless for him. It is smart to cater for both those who prefer to edit manually and those who only want to use a resizer. Get a good resizer script but leave the items modifiable, that way you will please most people. 

Marianne Little wrote:

Glad to see one guy who can reply, hehe. It's not so many that posts here.

Did I not count?  Though I will award Kudos to Darren for being more specific.  But this is where one of the issues is going to arise.  Age difference.  The first picture he posted, the one with the men pretending to be girls, those clothes I would not wear.  The other pictures are possibilities for me.

I hope that you will sell your stuff modifiable, because I know someone who is looking for male clothes but has a shape shorter and heavier than most SL avatars. No modify prims with resizer is useless for him. It is smart to cater for both those who prefer to edit manually and those who only want to use a resizer. Get a good resizer script but leave the items modifiable, that way you will please most people. 

Mod is a huge issue for me.  Generally re-size scripts will not work for my shape.  I was recently gifted two gorgeous pairs of no mod boots.  I was apalled when I read the instructions that came with them, "Will work best if you set your feet to zero."  I should not have to change my shape in order to wear your clothes.  Period.  End of discussion. 

Just for kicks though (am I being punny?) I reset my feet and started working on fitting them.  No matter what I did I could not overcome my calves showing through them.  The resize scripts would not move the prims in the direction I needed them to move.  It took me turning them into hip waders before my calves would not show through.   And honestly, my calves are not fat.

On a final note, it is not that there is not mens content available.  It is also the same problem women have.  It is a question of quality.  I have easily trashed half the clothes I have purchased.  Clothes that looked good in the display, that my lady friends have recommended, etc, when I put the item on looked horrible when worn.

On the other side of this I own over thirty formal outfits (tuxes, etc) as well as a lot of other clothes.  But I mainly prefer a casual look when I am out and about.  I also do wear a lot of T shirts.  I love T Shirts with witty sayings.

Last note, if I had not noticed thsi in the recently created threads list I might have completely missed it.  I really don't know how many men in the forums browse the Fashion pages.

Well, it could be that im still in my late 20s but I think you can find many great men clothing around, only that you have to look a little bit harder than women maybe.  I personaly like japanese shops because many sell nice clothing at a resonable price. 

A men fashion blog that you must take a look is ''Look at those f****ing slippers'' (something like that) those 3 guys are not thugs, nor rappers and have a great sense of virtual style. At first look they might seem not too manly, but dont be afraid, even if you dont like what they are wearing, check the shops they found those clothes, Im sure you will find something that you like!

And for lady, that was my thought for sl men clothes, I've got other thoughts on men hair though. All are or too emo or to fashion, I would like a normal hair for once, hair styles that u see on the streets, not on a magazine,  for example. I hope someone prooves me wrong and posts an Lm with these styles im looking for, I doubt it though.

Cio Koba wrote:

And for lady, that was my thought for sl men clothes, I've got other thoughts on men hair though. All are or too emo or to fashion, I would like a normal hair for once, hair styles that u see on the streets, not on a magazine,  for example. I hope someone prooves me wrong and posts an Lm with these styles im looking for, I doubt it though.

I hear you. I personally have 7/8 of my hair from MAD Design (See forum profile pic <--- ), the non-Punk, non-Emo Styles.

On Clothing, if i could just name 1 Creator, SF-Design is a kind of 1 Stop Shop, for Suits, Normal Clothing, Beachwear...

Cio Koba wrote:

Hi Cio! Exile hair have some excellent "normal hair" for men, as you put it. Just the kind of "guy next door" hair you may be looking for. :smileywink:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/17591

de290b8318a342fbb70c32abb0b0b83a.jpg

I will concede that "normal" is a subjective term, what is "normal" to me may not be "normal" to others. For example from what I see from the other responses "normal" is middle aged styles, which is not normal to me. In terms of what is needed in SL though is, like I said before, something not for the middle aged, the male prostitutes and the thugs, all those things are easily accessible and easy to find, just look around at the males next time you are in a big group gathering.

Didn't mean to offend by using the word normal, though I had meant it to refer to clothing other that thug / male prostitues / etc. Bad word choice on my part! I probably should have said "something different than the usual SL men's clothing that's out there that seems to be most common."

Are patterns / designs preferred, or does it depend on the clothing item?

From a business standpoint the best advise I can give you is to find a niche whose needs are not being met and roll with it. Look at fashion examples on the web on your chosen style and get ideas from that. Don't try to please everyone (including me), simply focus on that group of people you have chosen to cater to. Just stay away from already oversaturated markets it's all. 

No, it made sense xD Philosophical mode: normal doesn't exist...

Anyway, back to another question xD Do most guys prefer a pattern or design on their clothes? Or solid colors? Or is it mainly just a personal preference that also coincides with the clothing type?

-nod nod- Sweet. Hopefully some other guys will stumble upon this and share some thoughts. I'm gonna start whipping up some stuff to make within the next week or so...>: )

Feel free to send me any ideas in world via notecard, or ladydarmoset@yahoo.com, my blog at the-skeletons-closet.blogspot.com, and obviously here. :D

I dedicate this month to MEN'S FASHION!

@ Darren Scorpio, most of the items you picture are totally available in SL...you have been shopping at the wrong stores I think!  Check out: AOHARU, Connors, Gabriel, NSD (Naith Smit), SEY, Muism, Valient, Kal Rau for just a few.   

eep...looks like I was shouting above sorry: )  also there is a great male fashion blog: http://irregularguy.wordpress.com/

He features many different styles and provides information on the items featured

I find this topic interesting because I have never found the sort of stuff that I like to wear.For the first year or so I stayed in freebie blue jeans and t shirts.Then I decided to have a go at doing my own stuff, The snap below is the outfit that has been on my back for over 2 years  LOL. I pop it into photoshop now and then for a spot clean and sometimes take my jacket off.

So have in total 4 oufits and I must admit I am getting bored with them. As you can see my style is old fogie it used to be young fogie. I don't sell them they are only good enough for me. edit no snap...............

donegal jacket and doeskin waistcoat.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.