Basic Attention Tokens

Evah Baxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh, no, not that.

This is one of those "blockchain" schemes. If you want that, there's Decentraland and Sominium Space. Those are virtual worlds where the users mostly trade land and don't go in world much. One blogger says of Decentraland "the meta-game is the game".

SL already has pay-for-attention schemes - "fishing" games, lucky chairs, and that thing with a shiny rotating coin that pays avatars L$1 or so to hang around for many minutes. I tried the coin thing once at a store. People did show up, they stayed for the coin, and they never bought anything. The users who will wait 10 minutes for L$1 are not able to buy anything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, animats said:

The users who will wait 10 minutes for L$1 are not able to buy anything.

I used these things as well, and yes they come get the 1L and never buy a thing, I don't even think they bother to look to see what I was selling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it will be only trolls left, not the posts /content are longer important but the cash.

I see the concern. I'm just not sure how giving people the power to give their money to what they love and leaving the junk in the dust is a bad thing.

Edited by Evah Baxton
  • Haha 2

On 9/20/2020 at 9:26 AM, Evah Baxton said:

I see the concern. I'm just not sure how giving people the power to give their money to what they love and leaving the junk in the dust is a bad thing.

People would post trash and make armies of alts to upvote themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, Evah Baxton said:

Seems to me a great way to eliminate trolls

How would you think it would eliminate trolls?

On 9/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, Evah Baxton said:

and bring forth the new cashless digital revolution, but it's okay. I get it. We are stuck in this. It's just the way it is.

Stuck in what exactly? Stuck in not monetizing every waking moment of our day? And payments online are already "cashless" because no physcial money is exchanged. I don't see how some token reward system is contribution in a revolution (also in the offline world, there are advantages to having some cash on hand).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 8:26 PM, Evah Baxton said:

I see the concern. I'm just not sure how giving people the power to give their money to what they love

make a JIRA suggestion that we can make L$ payments to other people using the web interface. Would be quite convenient this I think, for people who need to make payments from their devices without having to log in with the full viewer

not sure tho that getting a badge/token for doing this has any particular benefit.  Like if I got 1L each from 10 people for a post then am not sure that would be anyone's business but mine

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

How would you think it would eliminate trolls?

It's real money. Trolls don't tend to deal in real money.

The only way to put BAT in your account is to either buy it, or use Brave's advertisement system which requires work.

12 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Stuck in what exactly?

Clicks = revenue and it shouldn't be that way.

Edited by Evah Baxton
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

BAT is a crypto currency. It's well established on the Brave browser and can be traded on most of the exchanges. It's already available for tipping content creators on YouTube & Twitter as well as any site that has themselves registered as a content creator.

It would change the entire online advertising system.

Just think ... no more clickbait! :D

Should look into it if you haven't yet.

Anyways .. dropping for now. Obviously NOT looking into it [for the forums]. :P

Edited by Evah Baxton
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I dont really see this as a way to get rid of trolls, for a true troll would take the time to get BAT so they could tip each other to keep their posts at or near the top of the page if it turned into such a system.

It would become more of a Troll wars forum then anything else. Where people would post as stupid as content as they could for stupid laughs.. oh wait that already happens here...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so an example,   xruner forum content bots,  which make accounts and spam forums and can even do upvoting of content,  so I go get a vpn setup that,  make the bot point to the registration page for the forum,  instead of account creation on linden side,  most places like this hide the function but the registation page is still typically there as it's a core piece of the forum, so the bot makes a zillion accounts, then goes and starts upvoting all my content,   do you see the issue,   I'm would be gaming the system for cash as you put it..

No, we do not need this,  we will never need this,   the reputation system in place is perfect and there is zero rewards for it,  which is even better,   filling peoples heads with "I'm better, I get cash for my spammy content" is not what we want here.

ugh not brave /BAT  for those who are not in the know BAT is a "crypto currency" given out by the brave browser for allowing some adds to show. Brave also gives it to people if other users download the browser using there affiliate link. which results in the browser being shilled as much as RAID shadow legends is on YouTube

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2020 at 9:15 AM, Evah Baxton said:

Seems to me a great way to eliminate trolls and bring forth the new cashless digital revolution, but it's okay. I get it. We are stuck in this. It's just the way it is.

Every revolution need cash that how you buy guns. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.